Look for Me in Rainbows

I Made A Friend And She Didn't

February 7, 2014
Sochi, Russia

“Соединенные Штаты Америки!”

“United States of America!”

Maggie followed the rest of the ugly sweater clad members of team USA out of the tunnel and into the arena for the opening ceremonies. She was exhilarated by the cheering crowd, the loud music, and the lights. She couldn’t help but take a few selfies and pictures of the crowd and people in it. The whole experience of the opening ceremony was amazing.

The opening ceremony was mesmerizing. She just wished Patrick was there to see it. He wouldn’t be arriving in Sochi for another day.

“Annie!” She yelled over the ear-piercing music. She opened her phone to the front facing camera and took a picture of them smiling. She was happy she was there with one of her best friends. She texted the picture to Patrick. A few seconds later her phone buzzed.

Jealous.

The message read followed by a picture of him and Jonathan on the couch. Maggie laughed and showed Annie.
........................................................................

Maggie skated in a circle and juggled the puck up onto her stick, then hit it to the referee. She skated to her position for the faceoff. She dumped the puck into her zone then skated to the bench for a final line change before the buzzer. Maggie smiled as it went off. They beat Finland three to zero.

“I told you going to the opening ceremony was fine.” Maggie elbowed Julie as they made their way back to the locker room.

“Whatever.” Julie replied. “I would’ve been tired.” Maggie smiled and took off her jersey.

“So what are we doing tonight?” She asked.

“Going to bed early.”

“Boring.” Said Maggie. “How often do you get to come to Sochi?” Julie rolled her eyes.

“I assume you have plans then?” She said flatly. Maggie grinned.

“Of course I do!” She sat down and began to unlace her skates. “We’re going to watch my new best friend do his short program for the team figure skating competition.”

“Really?” Julie asked.

“Yep. Remember the kid I sat with at breakfast?”

“Uh huh.”

“He’s a figure skater, and his room is right next to ours. We’re going.”

“Why do I have to come?” Julie whined.

“Because you aren’t going to make me go alone and sit all by myself like a loser.” Maggie whined back.

“Fine.” Julie said.

“Yes!” Maggie pumped her fist.
........................................................................

“You were totally amazing last night!” Maggie gushed.

“Thanks!” Jason smiled. “I promise I’ll come watch you play sometime too.”

“Awesome.” Maggie saw Julie walk in. “Julie!” She waved her over.

“You’re the kid Maggie dragged me out to watch figure skate last night.” Julie said. Jason held out his hand.

“Jason.” He smiled. “Nice to meet you too.” Maggie laughed.

“She’s just annoyed that I made a friend and she didn’t” Maggie smiled.

“Well,” Jason replied, “now you both have a friend.”

“Sweet.” Julie said. “I’m gonna go eat.”

“Okay.” Maggie said. “We’re gonna walk around and look for events to go to.”

“Be back for practice at 1.”

“Gotcha!” Maggie and Jason hurried out of the building.