Status: Complete

Tempted

Chapter 26

"You wait here." Brian said grabbing the caliber from the drawer.

"I'm coming with you." She said getting up.

"No you're not." He said firmly. "You're gonna stay here till I get back."

"Brian I can't let you go alone." She said.

"When I said he's not gonna get you I meant just that." He said kissing her. "Don't worry everything will be fine."

He gave her another kiss before slowly opening the door looking out and walking out.

"I hope he'll be okay Pinkly." She said as the small dog jumped into her lap.

Brian walked down the hallway fully alert. He slowly looked through and opened each room door finding nothing.

He walked until he got to the living room where he found the sliding door shattered open by a rock.

He saw no one in sight. He started walking down the other end of the condo. Again he found nothing. He went back and approached the shattered door looking out and around outside.

Turning back around Brian was met with punch to the face. He grunted falling and grabbing his nose. Before he could shot the assailant grabbed the gun pistol whipping him with him knocking him out.

"Thank you so much for this." He said putting the gun in the back of his jeans and making his way to the bedroom.

Katrina heard the grunt and the sound of someone falling. That someone she knew was Brian.

She was angry and tired of being afraid. Grabbing Pinkly she walked to the balcony door opening it then made her way to the closet but not before grabbing something.

Seconds later a man entered turning on the lights and looking around.

"Shit the bitch has escaped." He said walking over to the balcony and outside.

Signaling for Pinkly to keep quiet she slowly opened the door and tip toed behind the man. She raised her weapon and hit him in the head with a fireplace poker.

He stumbled grabbing his head and looking over his shoulder at her. She raised it again but he grabbed her ripping it out her grasp. And pulling her to him and leaned her over the balcony.

"The boss told me not to kill you." He said as he started to choke her. "Stewart wanted to kill you and lover boy himself but why should be have all the fun?"

Katrinas vision started to fade. The mans face became blurry. Slowly her struggling arms became weaker they eventually dropped to her sides.

The man let go of her at that moment he was kicked in his crouch. He looked up gasping and surprised to see Katrina alive.

"How are you still alive?" He growled out.

"I used to take clarinet lessons it expanded my lungs allowing me to hold my breath for long periods of time." She said kicking him in the face. "That I learned from a friend."

He snarled and tried to get up. She kicked him twice more in the face. She went for the dropped gun across the room but he grabbed her ankle tripping her.

Katrina screamed as he pulled her back to him and straddled her choking her again. His grip was tighter this time and she gasped for air.

As she struggled to breathe she heard barking. She glanced over to the closet and saw Pinkly run out. The man yelled as the Maltese started biting his leg. Turning he kicked the dog across the room. Pinkly yelped as she hit the wall.

This was enough of a distraction for Katrina to grab the gun. The mans eyes widen and he got up holding his hands up.

"You're not gonna do it." He said with a smirk.

She said nothing and shot him in the shoulder. He fell to the ground grabbing his shoulder. She walked over pointing it this his head this time. Before she could...

"Police!" A man said running in with a gun. "It's okay now ma'am."

It was morning Brian and Katrina sat in the living room being questioned as the police investigated the scene.

This is too familiar. She thought looking at the bruise on Brians head.

He had suffered a minor concussion from ten butt of the gun but was okay.

She squeezed his hand he turned smiling and returned it.

"Okay." One of the police said walking in. "You're sure that guy was sent by your soon to be ex husband?"

"Positive." She said. "He's made it clear time and time again he won't let me go."

"We got nothing out of the suspect but we'll keep trying." He said. "Until then y'all might want to stay somewhere else especially until we get that fixed." He said pointing to the broken sliding door.

"Thank you officer." Brian said shaking his hand.

He nodded and got up walking away.

"Where are we gonna stay?" She asked.

He grinned. "Well I haven't talked to my dad in a while so I'm sure he won't mind."

"Your dad?" She whispered.

"Don't worry he's a very cool guy." He said getting up. "Now let's pack."

As Katrina packed her suitcase her cell rang. She looked at the ID and became infuriated. She answered it.

"You bastard." She said.

"You're not gonna leave me Katrina." He said on the other line. "I'll find you no matter where you go and try to hide."

"You know what come and get me." She yelled. "Face me or are you still a big coward like you are?" "Or do you know if you come you'll end up in jail like you're little bitch you sent?"

Stewart was silent. "I told him not to do anything dumb fuck."

Katrina smiled. "Yeah and you're gonna end up just like him." She said hanging up.

Brian came back in with a knowing look. He walked over hugging her.

"You're becoming stronger of a person each day Katrina." He said.

"And I feel like it too." She said with a smile.

He smiled. "You ready to go?"

She nodded and grabbed her bags. They got in and drove for about thirty minutes until Brian stopped in front of a medium sized brown house.

They got out and walked to the door. Brian rang the doorbell. It was answered by a purple haired girl.

"Big bro!" McKenna yelled throwing her arms around him.

"Hey squirt." He said hugging her back.

"You're back!" She said then took notice of Katrina. "Who's this?"

"This is Katrina." He said. "Katrina this is my little sister McKenna."

"It's nice to meet you McKenna." She said shaking her hand.

"You too." She said with a smile.

Then a woman and a man appeared.

"Brian." Suzy said hugging him. "You're back and you brought someone with you."

He nodded. "Dad and Suzy this is Katrina."

Katrina smiled and exchanged introductions with both.

"Brian Elwin Haner Jr what the fuck happened to your head?" Papa Gates asked.

"Long story dad." He said touching it.

"Well y'all come on in and tell us the story." He said ushering them in.