Status: Hiatus

Forgetting Kelly Grace

Second Meeting

The day I met her, she didn’t give me her number. It’s actually a coincidence I found her again. We met again at a gas station, four days after meeting for the first time.

I remembered her right away. She was standing in line for the register, sporting a navy blue dress and doc martens. A peach Snapple was held in one hand and a king-sized Reese’s was in the other.

I needed to pay for gas, so I was lucky enough to stand right behind her. Seeing her twice seemed like fate, and I had to talk to her again. “Hey,” I said, nudging her. She turned around, eyes lowering to suspicious slits.

“Can I help you?” She asked.

“I met you a few days ago, it’s crazy that we’re running into each other again. But I guess you don’t remember me?” Part of me was bummed out. I thought I would be worth remembering, but many guys approach Kelly on a daily basis. To her, I could just be a speck of sand on a beach.

“Oh, I remember you,” she said, running her thumb over the cap of the tea bottle. “I just don’t know what you want.”

The line moved up. There was one person ahead of us, so I had to be fast. I needed to be smooth. What I needed to do, was get her number.

“I just wanted to say hi, I guess. It’s kind of a coincidence to see you again.”

She shrugged. “Yeah, I guess. But we live in a moderately small town, it’s bound to happen.”

I laughed lightly, nodding. “I guess you’re right. But, I don’t want to just be running into you on a coincidence. I want to meet you formally.”

“Is that so?” She responded, smiling slightly.

I paid for her candy, to prove how devoted I already was. In return, she gave me her number. I wanted to contact her immediately - I was worried she gave me a fake number. But I waited three days before sending her a text. When I told her who I was, all she said back was, what took you so long?

I was asking myself the same thing.