Status: In Progress; if anyone has trouble reading the print please let me know and i will edit the layout

What Melts Ice

Prologue

“You served your time well, Mr. Frader,” the judge said calmly, “But I’m afraid your punishment is not over.”

Will Frader sighed to himself. What more did he have to endure? Prison had been miserable. He had no friends there, for obvious reasons, and was constantly bullied by the other inmates. His cell was cold and damp and very uncomfortable and the food they served was somehow worse than the scraps he found before. His way of living hadn’t been the best before prison, but it was definitely better.

“I order you to three months of community service,” the judge continued. “From winter to spring. You start December 21st.”

“Anything in particular that I must do, sir?” Will asked politely.

The judge looked thoughtful. “I did have something in mind. An orphanage not far from here is having troubles. There are only three nurses that must take care of a great many children. It is too much work for three women to handle and they do not have the money to care for them as well as to maintain the place itself. They are greatly in debt and soon the children will be on the streets. I want you to help them for the remaining time that they have. I want you to be the caretaker by keeping the place clean and working, maybe even running errands for the women.”

Will nodded his consent.

“You will also live there for the time that you are there. It will be my way of keeping watch over you. The women will report to me if anything is wrong.”

“Yes, sir.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Please like this story! I'm feeling good about it. It should be a touching story. Again, if anyone has any trouble reading this please message me or comment and I will gladly change the layout. I had a lot of trouble making it readable but hopefully this one works.