Animals

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

It was already dark just as 15 minutes went by. I’ve always been nervous when I drive in the dark. Even though I knew Adri since high school, it’s always been silent or very few words have been said between us. Of course we have held multiple conversations plenty of times, it’s difficult to start one. I looked in my review mirror for a second. Josh and Jeanette were in the back of my car, just holding hands, smiling and talking to each other. Josh’s face was a bright red. I smiled a little, those two have dated for two years and that boy still blushes when he’s near her.
I continued driving and then I looked into the mirror again. Paulette and Sawyer were in the second row. Paulette was trying as hard as she can to keep Sawyer’s attention. Sawyer was trying to looking out the window, ignoring her as a dog would its owner. Sawyer gave me a look, saying with his eyes please get me out of this nightmare.
I just smiled slyly, and looked forward again. I wanted to hold hands with Adri but my fears weren’t letting me. I felt my face going red and warm. Please don’t show. I thought, as I drove a little faster. I felt my palms getting sweaty, gross. My heart pounded extremely hard.
“Uhhh, Lexi, are you o-“Adri started to ask when suddenly there was a loud pop from my engine. Everyone screamed, I turned on my hazard lights and pulled over on the road.
“Shit,” I mumbled as I turned off the engine and opened the car door. Sawyer opened his door and followed me as well. I tore open my hood of my car and looked under it.
“What’s wrong with it?” Sawyer asked me, leaning against it.
I looked at it some more before I responded, “It doesn’t like something’s wrong with it. I know we all heard that sound. That doesn’t make sense at all.”
“So what do you plan to do?” Josh asked, he and others came up to the engine.
I crossed my arms and took a deep sigh. “Well since we’re in the middle of nowhere and not a car is in sight, I’m probably going to have to call my dad to see if he can see if anything’s wrong.” Sawyer nodded in agreement. I pulled out my cell phone and went to my contacts. I tapped my screen on my dad’s contact information and put the phone to my ear.
It went straight to the annoying computerized woman. “That’s pretty weird.” I whispered to myself as I looked at my phone. No signal. I stared at my friends, “Anyone got a signal here?” Everyone swiftly pulled out their cell phones and bright lights beamed from them.
“No way, I had a full bar a minute ago.” Jeanette replied in disbelief.
“Nope.” Sawyer said, glaring at his phone.
“Me neither.” Josh muttered.
“No...” Paulette stared at her phone looking as if she was about to break down any second. We all turned to Adri, who was the only one who didn’t respond. He held up a finger. Must have turned it off. I thought. He put his hand down and looks at us with eyes that told us everything, nothing.
“Fuck! Then what are we suppose to do? We can’t just sit here!” Jeanette grumbled, leaning against the car.
“I think we should!” Paulette said.
“Um, hello, look into that dead brain of yours, Pauli” Jeanette. Paulette and Jeanette had their own nicknames that only they were allowed to use. Jeanie and Pauli. “Look around us; we’re not on the highway, so clearly no cars and this is an area neither of us knows!”
Paulette started tugging at her pink blouse. “Your sister has a point, you know.” Adri says.
I sighed again. I walked up to my car and closed the hood. I went inside the car for a second and turned it off completely. I shut the door and locked it. Everyone watched me the entire time I did this. I put my keys into my pocket. “Looks like we’re walking.”
Paulette’s eyes grew wide at the sound of walking. “O-out there? In the dark? In my good shoes?”
“Yea, fucktard, I said walking. Who knows, there might be a town close. Now let’s go.” I grunted. I started walking, I heard footsteps following behind me soon after. A minute went by before I heard a yell behind me
“Guys! Wait for me!” Paulette screamed, running in her supposed good shoes.

………………
Sawyer’s POV

“You guys are fuckin’ slow! I yelled at everyone who was behind me. Paulette and Alexie were way ahead, which I didn’t like at all. Jeanette, Adrian and Josh were behind me.
“Fuck you Sawyer!” Jeanette yelled back. I didn’t say anything in return. My mind was on one person and that was my best friend, Lexi. Just thinking about her makes me smile and my heart pounds with glee. If anything happened to her, I don’t know what my life would be without her.
I began to think of something else, I’m pretty she’ll be fine. My smile disappeared, about an hour ago, we were on our way to a party I remembered. But abruptly, Alexie’s car made a loud sound. She pulled over and couldn’t figure out was wrong with it. Neither of us could get a signal to reach someone. So we have been walking ever since. I’m pretty sure we only reached a mile or two from her car.
My mind wandered again. I started thinking about Adri. I clenched my fists as we turned a corner. When he first arrived in our group I thought he was a decent guy. Very quiet but was opened after a conversation started. It all suddenly changed about a month ago. I remember that day so perfectly. Lexi and I were at the park. Even though, it was a nice day Lexi still wore a jacket. We sat on our favorite bench; it sits right in front of the statue of the founder of our city.
“I have something to tell you about.” She told me. I felt my heart leap into my mouth. Her voice sounds like an angel.
“Sure, shoot.” I said, looking at her, moving an inch closer to her.
“Well…”
“You finally confessed your love to me?” I asked, even though deep down I hoped she did.
She shook her head but had a smile on her face. “I realized I have a crush on someone. A huge one actually.”
“Who?” My heart pounded so fast, I thought I was having a heart attack. She sat quietly for a minute, playing with her thumbs. She stared at the statue. “Hello? I have a class in like an hour; I need to be on time.”
“I…I think I have a crush on Adri…” She finally responded. My whole body, just stopped. I looked at trying hard not to show my disappointment. I swallowed the huge lump in my throat.
“Well, that’s good. He’s a cool guy and I think you two might make it work.” I said.
She smiled at me, “I think so too.”
I returned to reality, Lexi and Paulette has been ahead for a while and not hearing them not arguing or anything bothers me. I sighed. I put my hands in my pocket; it was kind of chilly tonight for some reason.
` “AHHH! SOMEONE HELP! PLEASE!” I heard. We all froze in fear.
I quickly turned around, looking at Jeanette. “Was that..?” I asked, breathing hard.
“It couldn’t be….” Jeanette started to say, staring straight at me with horror in her brown eyes.
“HELP! PLEASE! I DON’T KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN HOLD HER!” The voice screeched again. Jeanette and I didn’t hesitate this time, we bolted. I heard Josh and Adri follow behind us. We didn’t have to run very far, I gasped in shock.
“Oh my God…” Adri said.
There was Lexi, lying on her stomach on the ground, her hands in a giant hole. She had tears in her eyes, “Help, please. Paulette fell in and I don’t know how much I can hold her.” Her voice was hoarse from yelling. I heard whimpering in the dark abyss of a hole. Paulette is crying up a storm. My heart was pounding ferociously.
“Please, hel…AH!” Lexi slid into the hole.
“ALEXIE! NO!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here you guys go! Chapter 2!