Awakening

Wrong

"Missy? Hi! I wanted to know if I could drop Clairy off at yours for a few hours."

Dawn's voice fills the silent house and she watches Clairy kick the air as she's laid down on a blanket.
Silence consumes the house before it's broken again.

"Thanks Missy, you're a lifesaver!" Dawn says her good-bye and hangs up.

She stands at the phone for a few moments before getting busy with packing her daughter’s day bag.
Within 10 minutes Dawn has Clairy in one arm, placed on her hip. The day bag is slung over the other shoulder and she is locking her house with a nervous jittery manner unusual for her.

Dawn crosses the street carefully and approaches a similar house three doors down from hers and across the street. She knocks on it and it's thrown open promptly by a grinning woman no older then Dawn herself.

"Hello Clairy!" The smiling woman takes Clairy off of Dawn and snuggles her before taking the day bag from Dawn as well.

"Thanks again Missy" Dawn smiles softly and turns to leave but Missy's voice stops her.

"Is everything okay Dawn?" She asks.

"Uh yeah I just need to sort some stuff out with Troy" She gives her friend a reassuring smile and waves goodbye before hastily returning home.

Something was wrong.