My Goal Is to Deny Yours

Five

Rachael's POV
I stormed out of the locker room to get away from my mom. I just couldn't forgive her for what she did to my hockey career. I waited out near the tunnel and pushed those thoughts out of my head. Soon enough everyone was ready to go out behind me.
"AND HERE ARE YOUR NEW JERSEY DEVILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS!" The announcer said and I skated out. As soon as my skates hit the ice my mind was instantly clear. I started to skate a few laps when the thought of my mother crept back up on me. I tried to shake it off but I couldn't. I started to feel guilty about what I had said to her. She only wanted what was best for me and I was grateful for that now that I realized it. I sighed and took my position in the goal and waited for the game to begin.

By the end of the first period I had already let three goals in one by Geno and two by Sid. I walked over to my cubby and started to take my goal pads off angrily. Just before we went into our respective locker rooms Sid shot me a confused look. He knew that I should've saved all of those shots. I was so frustrated that my mom made me mess up three times. I put my head in my hands and tears of frustration rolled down my cheeks.
"Rach?" I heard Jaromir's voice ask and I looked up at him with teary eyes. "What's wrong?" He asked
"I let three goals in when I shouldn't have and we're only in the first period." I said shaking my head.
"We'll get those three goals back to tie it up I promise." He said with a smile and I wiped my eyes with the sleeve of my jersey.
"Okay." I sniffled while he got up and went to talk to Patrik. I sighed and sat back and took my phone out and started playing music to calm myself down.

It was time for the second period to start and I skated back out into the goal. You can do this Rachael. Don't let another goal in and you'll be good. I then waited for the faceoff that Sidney had won and passed the puck to James Neal and he skated towards me. I got ready to block the shot but when he tried to shoot his knee connected with my head and everything went black.

Sidney's POV
James's knee collided with Rachael's head and she just laid there motionless.
"WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?????" I yelled and grabbed him by his jersey and slammed him against the glass.
"I DIDN'T MEAN TO!!!!!" He yelled back.
"YEAH FUCKIN RIGHT!" I screamed "YOU JUST WANTED TO WIN!" I said and I punched him.
"SID STOP!" Duper yelled and pulled me off of James.
"HE DID IT ON PURPOSE!!!!!" I yelled.
"Sid don't worry about James, worry about your girlfriend laying over there unconscious." He hissed in my ear. I looked over at all the medical staff surrounding her and then skated over with tears welling up in my eyes.
"Rach......" I said while looking at her motionless body. "DO SOMETHING!" I yelled.
"Calm down Sid." Duper said while kneeling beside me.
"How am I supposed to calm down when the girl I love is unconscious!" I said with tears rolling down my cheeks. They then brought a stretcher out and loaded her onto it. Martin sat on the bench with a blank look on his face. He probably couldn't believe that this happened to his only daughter. I stood up but my legs couldn't support me. Luckily Pascal was beside me to catch me from falling.
"Take me over to Martin." I said and Duper obliged and led me over to Martin.
"I'm going to go to the hospital. I'll take care of her Martin, I promise." I said as he just nodded. Pascal then took me over to the runway to the visitors locker room. I threw my skates off my feet and quickly changed into the sweats and t shirt that I had always packed and ran out to my Range Rover and drove to the hospital. I ran in the door and then ran to the receptionist.
"I'm looking for Rachael Brodeur." I said panicked.
"She's getting evaluated but the doctor will let you know when you can see her." She said
"Thank you." I said and sat down in the waiting room then put my head in my hands.

Two hours later I saw the the New Jersey Devils team walk through the hospital door followed by the rest of my team.
"Did you hear anything?" Martin said with worry on his face and I just shook my head. He then sat down beside me and looked over at me.
"Were you two seeing each other?" He asked
"Yeah" I sighed "I'm sorry we didn't tell you. We thought you would be angry." I said
"That explains why she's been so happy lately." He said with a smile and I felt a small one play it's way across my lips.
"Rachael Brodeur?" The doctor came out and both teams stood and looked at her expectantly.
"She has a concussion but she seems okay. Let me know if she has any memory loss. She's in the first room on the left." She said and walked away. We all got up and followed Martin into the hospital room. When we walked in I saw Rachael watching the NHL Network and smiled since she was awake.
"Hi dad." She smiled and looked at both teams wedged into the small room. "What are all you guys doing here?" She asked.
"worry about you." Geno said
"Awww Geno." She said with a small blush and I furrowed by eyebrows in confusion.
"How do you feel?" Jaromir asked
"I feel pretty good. They told me I have a concussion though." She said with a frown.
"I'm sorry for giving you the concussion. I didn't mean for it to happen." James said with regret on his face.
"You can thank Sid though. He kicked James's ass." Duper said with a laugh.
"Who's Sid?" Rachael asked and I felt my heart stop. Pascal's eyes instantly locked with mine.
"Ya know Sid?" James said pointing towards me.
"I don't think I know him." She said and I felt my heart break in two.
"You don't remember me?" I asked quietly.
"No. I remember Duper, James, Geno......" She continued to say everyone else's name but mine. "But I don't remember you." She said with furrowed eyebrows and Martin looked at me with sympathetic eyes.
"Let's go get some fresh air Sid." Pascal suggested and I followed him out of the hospital room with my head hanging low.
"Sid I-" Pascal started but I cut him off.
"Save it. She doesn't remember me Pascal." I said sadly while shaking my head. I couldn't believe that she didn't remember me. After all of the fun times we had, she just doesn't remember me.
"I think I'm going to go back to the hotel." I sighed.
"Okay Sid." Duper sighed and I walked to my Range Rover and drove to my hotel. As soon as I arrived at my room a laid on the bed and cried myself to sleep.