Frozen Heart

Chapter 66

When Gajeel disappeared without taking a job, both Jack and Levy could admit to being curious.

The winter guardian could not think of any reason why he should be leaving them behind, as he had not done so before, and Levy was just as lost.

Honestly, what was that man up to?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Humming softly to herself, Jack twisted in the air to slip through rows of drying laundry, the wind whistling along in her ears.

After a long day in the library with Levy, she was ready to see if the lake was in a position to be frozen over for ice skating, eager to show the younger children how to glide over the ice once it was smooth enough.

A scuffle from an alley drew her attention, and Jack hovered as she took in the sight.

Gajeel was grumbling as he squatted down, picking up a tawny-furred cat and studying the creature for a moment before putting it down with an exasperated sigh.

Curious, she followed him down the next alleyway, where the Iron Dragon Slayer inspected at least three more felines before Jack realized what he was doing.

It makes sense, she realized a bit guiltily. Natsu has Happy, and Wendy has Carla, which means he’s the only first-generation Dragon Slayer without one.

A bright seal activated over her hands, and Jack hovered down with a bundle in her arms, wind singing a comforting note in her ear.

“Gajeel?”

The Iron Dragon Slayer whipped around, nearly banging his head on a dumpster, flushing.

“Snowie! What are you doing here?”

“I was on my way to the lake.” She admitted, floating a bit closer. “And I just thought…”

Frost took shape on her cheeks, and she thrust the bundle out towards him, about to lose her nerve.

Gajeel could only stare for a moment, confused, until he looked down and realized what she was offering.

The cat was made of the fluffiest white snow, long-legged and quiet, with triangular little ears and round black stones for eyes that blinked up at him as thin ice whiskers twitched around a mouth that yawned to reveal icicle teeth.

“You…made this, for me?”

Jack nodded quickly, frost spreading down her neck.

“I can’t create anything like Happy or Carla, but I thought…”

The sudden loss of anything to hold onto had her head whipping up, eyes wide as Gajeel lifted the snow-cat onto his shoulders, chuckling as the feline purred like scratching ice and rubbed an icy cheek against his.

“She’s perfect.” He assured gruffly, smirking as the frost thickened along Jack’s ears. “Now come on. Gotta show the shrimp, right?”

Thoughts of ice skating forgotten, the winter-girl grinned, practically jumping in the air.

Damn it, but she was adorable.

“Alright! Let‘s go!”