Savanna Black

Chapter 1- A Little Sunshine

“Sav, we’re leaving in an hour.” Uncle John called out.

“I’ll be ready in ten minutes, Uncle John!” I called out as I forced my last robe into my trunk.

I looked around my room and tried to remember it. This has been mine ever since I was born and I have called this place home for 12 years. I don’t really see the point of leaving, but now that my dad, Sirius Black has escaped from Azkaban, it was time to give this place up. Although, I don’t see how he could know about me or why would we leave this place, I never asked questions. I trust Professor Dumbledore and I trust my Uncle John, who raised me after my mother, his sister, died.

“Okay, Sav, now, we’re going to flag down the Knight Bus, seeing as you’re too young to disapparate and I never mastered the art of making portkeys.” he said.

“But…” I began and he chuckled.

“It was your mother who makes portkeys, Sav. I just simply gave up learning how, because I don’t see the use of it. Although, I regret it now.” he said and smiled at me.

We took one last look and headed out of the place that we called home and took a few steps away. I paused and looked back again, knowing that I will never see that place again. Uncle John placed a hand on my shoulder and I turned and continued to walk with him. Suddenly, the place seemed to have grown colder, darker and it felt like I couldn’t be happy anymore.

“Dementors.” Uncle John said and I looked at him. “Savanna, you have to run!” he added.

“No, no, not without you.” I said.

“I’ll hold them off.” he urged, shoving me.

“No, Uncle John!” I called out.

Uncle John raised his wand and attempted some spells. I tripped and fell on the floor and saw three dementors heading my way as four of them were on Uncle John, who was now lying on the ground. I took out my wand and without thinking of the laws disabling me to use magic, I used my wand.

“Lumos.” I said and the tip of my wand lit. One dementor came closer to me.

I fell on the ground and a few seconds before I felt the dementor came closer to my face, I saw nothing but darkness. The next time I woke up, everything was white, warm and felt really good. I stirred and opened my eyes.

“Oh, good, you’re awake. I’m Healer Justin.” a guy introduced himself.

“H-hi, w-where am I?” I asked as he handed me a bar of chocolate.

“Eat that, you’ll feel better.” he said and I took a bite. “You’re in St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries.” he added.

“The dementors!” I said and Healer Justin looked at me nodded.

“The minister was to come and pay your uncle a visit and he arrived just in time to save you.” he said.

“Save me? What about my uncle?” I asked.

“Good morning, Miss Black.” someone said as the door opened and in came the Minister of Magic himself.

“Good morning.” I greeted and Healer Justin bowed and left.

“Healer Justin told me..I..thank you, Minister.” I said and he smiled.

“You are welcome, Miss Black. Now, I understand you knew what happened to your uncle?” he asked.

“What happened to Uncle John?” I asked and he coughed a little and looked uncomfortable.

A few hours later, I was out of bed, making my way to the ward, where my Uncle John was. I watched as he lied on his bed, eyes wide open but that was all there was. All the healthy glow was gone and he was just…in a vegetative state, my heart couldn’t take it.

“I have sent an owl to the Malfoys..” the minister began.

“I’ve got gold, I can cook, I’ll look after myself.” I butted in.

“But the Malfoys are the only living relatives you have left.” he insisted.

“I’d rather the dementors kiss me a thousand times than live with them.” I said.

“But, my dear!” he called out.

“How about I go to Leaky Cauldron by myself later and go back to Hogwarts and if at the end of the year, I couldn’t find someone who will look after me, I’ll..” I began.

“But Sirius Black..” the minister began.

“Is welcome to come after me, minister.” I told the Minister as he looked at me like I was deranged. “I’d welcome Sirius Black with open arms rather than stay with the Malfoys.” I added, spitting the word “Malfoys”.

An hour later, I was on my way to Leaky Cauldron, where I got myself a room. I spent a few hours lying on the bed and coming up with a plan. There was no way I’d stay with the Malfoys, just no way. Maybe I’ll just get myself a place, after all, I have gold, which I inherited from my mother and everyone from my maternal side.

“Harry?” I asked as I saw a boy with a scar on his forehead, writing on a piece of parchment.

“Alright there, Savanna!” Harry called out.

“Who are you writing to?” I asked.

“A History of Magic essay.” he answered.

“Oh.” I said as Florean Fortescue threw me a look.

“Listen, do you want to..” Harry began.

“Er..sorry, Harry, I have to go.” I said and smiled a small smile at Harry and left.

Having had the reputation of being the daughter of the notorious mass-murderer Sirius Black, I get a lot of looks of disdain and get judged a lot. I never asked for this, but I knew how to stay away. It was better to stay away from people.

“Hi, Savanna!” Hermione greeted as I passed by her and Ron.

“Hi, Hermione.” I greeted back. “Hi, Ron!” I greeted Ron, who pretended not to hear me.

“Have you seen Harry?” Hermione asked.

“Once.” I answered and gathered another look from Ron. “I better go, see you at Hogwarts, Hermione.”

I made my way back to the Leaky Cauldron, having finished my shopping yesterday after I walked away from Harry. I tore one poster of Sirius Black from the wall and sat on an empty bar stool. I studied the photograph and noted a whole lot of similarities with the man I have known to be my father. The door opened and in came Hermione, Harry and Ron.

“Are you staying here too, Savanna?” Hermione asked as she saw me.

“Yeah, I am.” I answered.

“How are you getting to Hogwarts Express, then?” Harry asked me.

“I know my way.” I answered and avoided Ron’s gaze.

Ron opened his mouth to say something but the door opened and in came, Ginny, her mother, Percy and the twins. Percy took one look at me and smiled then proceeded to greet Harry.

“I don’t believe we’ve met, young lady.” a man, who must have been the head of the family looked at me.

“That’s Savanna Black, dad. She’s on our year and in Gryffindor too. And she’s the daughter of..” Ron began.

“Sirius Black. Thank you very much, Ron.” I said and headed upstairs.

“Join us for dinner, Savanna. Don’t mind Ron, he’s got an emotional range of a teaspoon.” Hermione said.

“It’s okay, Hermione, I’ve got to meet someone for dinner anyway.” I said.

“Oh.” Hermione said. “That’s nice.” she added and I painted a smile.

“I got to go, enjoy dinner, Hermione.” I said and left Hermione.

Truth be told, I had no one. But, if there’s anything to be proud of, I usually am independent, so I could do things on my own. I learned that pretty much during my two-year stay in Hogwarts, where everyone knew the story of my father. I managed to escape the Weasleys, ignored Harry and Ginny and took my food out with me into Diagon Alley.

“Lovely stray you are.” I told the black dog, who sat beside me. It wagged its tail.

“Hungry?” I asked and shared my dinner with that black dog.

“I wish I could keep you as a pet.” I said and patted the dog. “I got to go. You’ve been a lovely company.” I added and stood up to leave.

I walked back towards the Leaky Cauldron and stopped when I heard a few whispers and laughs. That was when I saw the Weasley twins.

“We know who you are.” the twins told me and smiled.

“I know which is which.” I said and they looked at me, bemused and painted wider smiles.

“Humor us.” Fred said, now standing in front of me.

“You’re George.” I told George who was standing and looking up at me and then I faced Fred. “And you’re Fred.” I said.

“Impressive! No one has ever told us apart before. You’d think our own mum would..” Fred began.

“Is it true, what you told Ron awhile ago?” George butted and Fred elbowed his brother.

“Yeah, my father’s Sirius Black.” I said.

“Cool!” Fred said and smiled.

“Wicked cool.” George said.

“You two are making fun of me, aren’t you?” I asked.

“No, we’re not.” they both said.

“That’s alright.” I said and headed upstairs.

As I climbed upstairs, I took one glance of the twins, who looked at me. George turned his back on me while Fred smiled at me. Pushing that bizarre reaction from the twins, I went to bed. Not too long, I woke up, took a bath and got ready. It was the first time I am going to Hogwarts Express alone and it was better if I am not late. I pulled my trunk and went out of the room.

“Need help?” I turned and saw Fred looking at me.

“Uhm..” I began.

“Don’t be stubborn, Black, you can’t bring that trunk downstairs without help or without magic and we all know you’re not of age either.” George said.

“I don’t want to disturb..” I began.

“Who says you’re disturbing us?” George demanded and lifted the trunk and Fred helped him.

“Yeah, because if I get a hold of him, I’m going to give him a bottle of Ron’s rat tonic.” Fred said.

“Thanks, guys” I said and smiled at them as we arrived at the foot of the stairs.

“Oh good, you lot are ready. Professor Dumbledore has requested us to take you to Hogwarts Express as well, dear.” Mrs. Weasley told me.

“M-me?” I asked.

“You are Savanna, are you not?” she asked.

“Yes, mum, she is. Come, Savanna, Fred and I will take your trunk..” George began.

“I’ll have that, thank you.” a ministry official took my trunk from the twins.

The ministry official who took my trunk went outside while Fred and George turned to look at me. I bit my lip. This was the longest that someone had made an effort to talk to me.

“I reckon Hermione, Harry, Ron and Percy will be together, as will mum, dad and Ginny, that means you are stuck with us, Savanna.” Fred said and I nodded.

“Ah, bless her, she’s speechless.” George said.

“Alright, you two, behave.” Mr. Weasley told his sons and looked at me.

“Savanna, you don’t mind riding the car with the boys don’t you?” he asked.

“Don’t worry, dad, we’ll take care of Savanna.” George said, patting his dad’s shoulder. Mr. Weasley looked at me.

“I’ll be fine with them, Mr. Weasley and thank you.” I said and he gave me a reluctant smile.

A lot of laughs later, we all arrived at the King’s Cross. I went through the barrier with Fred, as George had insisted.

“Thank you very much, Mr. Weasley, Mrs. Weasley.” I thanked the two adults and went inside the train to look for a compartment.