Savanna Black

Chapter 3- Helping Hand

I entered the Great Hall, oblivious to the stares and whispers. Some were reading the Daily Prophet, some were having breakfast and some, most particularly the Slytherins raised the Daily Prophet, purposely showing Sirius Black’s face and smirked at me. I ignored all of them and sat on the Gryffindor table, where some first years took one look at me and moved away. I sighed. This is going to be more difficult this year.

“Good morning.” Fred greeted in a sing song voice as he sat beside me.

“Morning.” I said and grabbed a piece of toast, which of course was the same thing that Fred and George were grabbing.

We looked at each other and chuckled. That seemed to have lightened me up a bit. Lee Jordan, who joined us grabbed that piece and shoved it into his mouth.

“Here you go, Savanna.” Fred said and handed me a piece of toast.

“Thanks.” I said and smiled gratefully at him as I took the piece of toast.

“And here’s your juice.” George said and I looked at him.

“Thank you.” I said and took it.

We sat there eating and talking when suddenly the Slytherins erupted into their usual taunts. Hermione, Ron and Harry walked and tried to ignore them.

“Hey Potter!” shrieked Pansy Parkinson, a Slytherin girl with a face like a pug. “Potter! The dementors are coming, Potter! Wooooooo!”

“Don’t be too obvious, Savanna, mind you, the greasy Snape is watching.” Fred said and pulled my wand.

“Give it back.” I said and he rolled his eyes and gave it.

Suddenly, Pansy Parkinson tried to open her mouth but found that she couldn’t. The Slytherins looked at our table, finding someone to accuse. George, Fred, Harry, Ron and Hermione looked at me. I shrugged and went back to eating.

Harry dropped into a seat at the Gryffindor table, next to George and they started to talk. Not wanting to join their discussion about dementors and not wanting to gather another look from Ron, I concentrated on my food.

“Miss Black?” I looked up and saw Professor McGonagall.

“Professor?” I asked as the twins and everyone else ate in silence.

“Professor Dumbledore would like to have a word with you, immediately after you’d have your breakfast.”

“Yes, Professor.” I said and handed me a small piece of parchment and left.

“Fizzing Whizbees always fascinate me.”

“Are you alright, Savanna?” Hermione asked.

“Y-yes.” I lied.

Could this be the day when what I was dreading would happen? I pushed back my plate.

“Savanna, are you alright?” Harry asked and I looked at him.

“Yeah, I am.” I answered.

“Are you sure?” Lee asked.

“For the last time, I am alright!” I answered, annoyed and not wanting to cry, I stood up and left.

“SAVANNA LILY BLACK! If you won’t tell us what happened, I’m going to hex you!” Fred called out.

I headed towards the headmaster’s office, gave the password and knocked.

“Enter.” Professor Dumbledore’s voice came.

“You wanted to see me, headmaster?” I asked, faking a calm voice.

“Sit down, Miss Black.” he said and I did.

“So this is Sirius Black’s daughter?” I looked up and spotted a portrait of a headmaster. “You’re my great-great-great- granddaughter? Sorted into Gryffindor too, I suppose just like your father and mother?”

“Now, now, Phineas, Miss Black is here because of something else and not to discuss family tree.”

Professor Dumbledore looked at me for awhile, his eyes seemed to be considering something. And then..

“Miss Black, do you know why I called you here?” he asked.

“Pansy Parkinson.” I answered.

“I don’t know what happened to Miss Parkinson, Miss Black. I called you here because I just got an owl from St. Mungo’s.” he said.

“Uncle John.” I said, realizing and my eyes widened. Professor Dumbledore looked at me and nodded.

“Your Uncle John was a great man, Miss Black. He was an excellent student, one of the best healers everyone has known. What happened to him and to you was very unfortunate…” he began.

“Is..he..d-dead?” I asked.

“Yes.” he answered.

“Can I be excused?” I asked and he nodded.

“If you want to take it easy today, Miss Black, I will of course inform all your teachers.” Professor Dumbledore said and I nodded.

I went out of the office and sat by the lake, throwing rocks and eventually sat under a tree.

“There you are.” Fred said.

“Yep, there she is, sitting on the grass, under the tree.” George said and I looked up at them.

“What are you two doing here?” I asked.

“You’ve been crying.” Fred said, ignoring my question.

“Unless the water from her eyes are just water, Fred.” George said and rolled his eyes. “What happened?”

I shook my head. I want to tell someone but I don’t know yet. The twins sat beside me and we were silent for awhile, until slowly, I began to tell them what happened during summer and what I just heard. After that, I cried hard and surprisingly, Fred hugged me as George squeezed my hand.

“I suppose we could always miss our class and sit here with you.” George said.

“No, no, that’s too much. You two should go and attend it.” I said.

“But you’re alone here.” Fred said and I snorted.

“Trust me, Fred, I’ve been alone most of the time and nothing has happened to me, at least not yet.”

“Are you sure? Because I know I am not sure.” George said and I took out my wand.

“Are you two going to attend classes or should you two like to show up at Flitwick’s classroom with something really funny?” I threatened.

“You wouldn’t.” Fred said and I looked at him.

“You threatened to hex me earlier, Fred.” I said and Fred grinned.

“Well, I didn’t, did I?” Fred asked and I pointed my wand at George.

“Cool! Can you send me to Flitwick’s class using this?” George asked as he sailed into the air.

“What is going on here?” Professor Lupin appeared and demanded. I immediately said the countercharm and put George back on his feet.

“That was wicked cool, Savanna!” George said and then looked at Professor Lupin. “We were just having fun, Professor.” he said.

“I can see that, aren’t you two supposed to be in class?” he asked.

“Come on, George.” Fred said and looked at me. “See you at lunch, Savanna.” he said, giving me a smile.

“Come with me, Miss Black.” Professor Lupin said.