Savanna Black

Chapter 4- Snivellus

I wasn’t sure how to react or what to do, but somehow, I took Professor Lupin’s hand and he helped me to my feet. We walked inside the castle and headed to his office, where we sat down.

“Tea?” he offered.

“I..I suppose.” I said and he smiled at me.

Not once did I receive a smile from any of the professors, well except for Professor Flitwick, when I mastered one charm, after teaching us for five minutes.

“I heard what happened, Savanna and can I just say, that my deepest sympathy is with you.” he said.

“Thank you.” I said.

“I knew your uncle.” he said. “He was two years older than I was. He was really smart and caring.”

“Yes, he is.” I agreed and took a sip from the cup that he gave me.

“Did I scare you, that day at the train?” he asked.

“Er..no, professor. I was just upset that day.” I answered.

“It is very understandable that you are upset, Savanna.” he said and I nodded. “So, why were you levitating Mr. Weasley?” he asked, his eyes twinkling a bit.

“They’ve been trying to help me but I wanted to be left alone.” I answered and he chuckled.

“You do remind me of someone else, Savanna.” Professor Lupin said and a Daily Prophet fell out from his table.

For a moment, none of us spoke. He was looking back and forth at Sirius Black’s face and mine and I knew it was only a matter of time before he would put two and two together. I placed my cup of tea on the table.

“He’s my father.” I finally said.

“I know.” he answered with a sigh. “Have you..did you meet him?” he asked.

“I never got to meet my mother and father.” I answered.

“I’m sure your mother will be proud of you, Savanna.” he said.

“Did you know my mother too?” I asked.

“Ah, she’s one of the most beautiful girls in Hogwarts. She was a year younger than us.” he answered.

“Professor?” I asked and he looked at me.

“You said my mother was a year younger than you, when you were in Hogwarts…did you..have you happened to meet a girl named Lily?” I asked and his eyebrows raised and then smiled.

“Why, yes, Savanna. There was no one in Hogwarts who didn’t know Lily Evans. I’m sure you know her son too..” he said and I nodded.

“Harry Potter.” I said and he nodded.

“Why are you asking about Lily?” he asked, speaking the name with admiration.

“I was named after her. My mother was in league with her I was told.” I said.

Before any word was said, the bell rung and I stood up. Professor Lupin and I looked at each other and an understanding passed. I nodded and left his office, still thinking about my mother.

“Savanna, are you alright?” Harry asked as I bumped into him and Ron, pity and something else on his face.

“Y-yes, I am, Harry.” I answered. “Er, I..better..” I began.

“You always leave, Savanna.” Harry mused.

“I just don’t want to..well, disturb you and Ron. I have to..” I began.

“There you are!” George interrupted.

“And she’s not on the floor.” Fred said.

“Why do you care about her?” Ron couldn’t help but ask and Harry and the twins looked at Ron and looked at me.

“I better go.” I said and stalked off towards the common room and sat on the corner.

Parvati and Lavender went silent when they saw me, looked at each other and headed out of the common room. Both have been friendly the past two years, but I suppose, they two, have heard the story of that mass murderer who was able to escape Azkaban.

“Hi, Savanna.” I looked up and saw Ginny, who sat down in front of me.

“Hi, Ginny.” I greeted back and she smiled.

“I..heard what happened.” she said.

“Yeah, well, things like that always happen to me.” I said and trying not to cry, I stood up and looked at her. “Anyway..” I began.

“Oi, Ginny! What are you doing sitting with this..er..” Ron demanded as he came in, along with Harry and Hermione.

“Daughter of the murderer?” I spat and took out my wand and sent a well-aimed, nonverbal hex at Ron.

Instantly, Harry, Hermione and Ginny took out their wands but I was fast as well. I disarmed them nonverbally, their wands on the floor and ran outside, sending Colin Creevey into the floor. Harry was chasing me and we were both running, gathering looks from people at the Great Hall.

“BLACK!” Potter yelled and hit me with a Trip-Jinx.

“POTTER!” I yelled back as I quickly got to my feet.

Harry and I faced each other, wands out and people were starting to gather around us. Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Neville and everyone else were standing in front. I saw Fred and George winked at me while Lee Jordan was busy ogling at Alicia Spinnet.

“Ooohh, who would have thought Black and Potty would fight? You jinxy Potty, Black. Potty, you can hexy Black..” Peeves appeared, floating above us, egging us on.

Harry sent me a jinx, but I was able to duck. I sent a well-aimed jinx, but Harry ducked as well, my jinx hit Pansy Parkinson and her nose turned into a pig’s, causing her to cry while some Gryffindors roared in laughter. Harry sent another jinx, but I was able to parry it off.

“BLACK! POTTER!” Professor Snape called out as he appeared. The students thinned. “Well, well, well, I’m sure your father would have enjoyed that show.” he sneered. “Fighting in the Great Hall, jinxing Miss Parkinson and getting everyone’s attention.. You two have clearly met your fathers’..” he began.

“Do not talk about..” Harry began.

“Do not mention about my father, Snivellus.” I called out, without thinking and Professor Snape’s eyes flashed dangerously. “Two detentions, Black.” he said.

Without any other word, he turned and left. Hermione dragged Harry with her, followed by Ron. I turned my back and took a few steps, heading towards the lake.

“Savanna!” I heard Fred called out but I didn’t stop nor did I turn to face them.

“Savanna!” George called out as well.

“Leave me alone.” I said, without facing them.

“We want to talk to you.” Fred said.

“Whatever.” I said.

Before I could take another step, I found myself up in the air and I craned my neck to see George with his wand, aiming it at me. Fred smiled at me.

“Let me down.” I said.

“Not until you promise you won’t run away from us.” Fred said.

“And so what if I always do?” I challenged.

“I’m afraid you’ll have to stay up in the air, Savanna.” George said, his eyebrows dancing up and down.

“Oh shove off, George!” I yelled. “Put me down!” I yelled.

“Promise?” Fred asked me.

“No.” I said.

“By the power vested on me, Fred Weasley, you, Savanna Lily Black will be escorted by me and my twin, George Weasley while you remain right there.” Fred said.

“And what will I do with you two?” I asked and George smiled.

“Stay with us.” Fred said.

“I can’t and I won’t.” I said.

“You jinxed our brother and disarmed our sister.” Fred said.

“Maybe you should ask why.” I said.

“Then, tell us.” George said.

“If you put me down!” I yelled and glared at him. He smiled and finally set me to my feet.

Fred and George sat with me by the lake and handed me some food from straight from the kitchens and I told them what happened.

“How would you like to come with us to Hogsmeade this weekend, Savanna?” Fred asked.

“Are you serious?” I asked.

“Yes we are, but believe us, we’re Weasleys, not Black.” George answered.

“But..” I began.

“Lee will be going out with Alicia.” Fred said and I nodded.

“Excellent! It’s a date, then.” George said and blushed, then chuckled.

Fred and George kept me company and I somehow forgot that I was supposed to be mourning for my dead Uncle and also forgot that I was supposed to be mad at Ron and Harry. The three of us entered the common room and found Hermione, Harry and Ron sitting on their usual chairs, doing homework. Fred and George made me sit between them and Ron opened his mouth.

“Save it, Ron.” Fred said. “She’s with us.” he added.

“Savanna, our detention involves lines.” Harry said.

“Yeah, thanks.” I said grudgingly and Harry smiled.

“Why did you call Snape, Snivellus?” he asked.

“It was my habit. I don’t know where I got that, but I’ve been calling him that since first year, but not to his face. I was mad earlier, it just went out of my mouth.” I said.

“Wicked.” George said and beamed at me.

“How were you able to disarm us at the same time?” Harry asked.

“Nonverbal spell.” I answered.

“But they don’t teach us that until sixth year.” Hermione said, looking at me, very impressed.

“I’ve been reading.” I admitted and Hermione beamed even more at me.

Crookshanks ran around the common room while the three of them did their homework. The twins said goodnight and went ahead and a few minutes, Harry and Ron went up to the boys’ dormitory.

“Aren’t you coming up, Sav?” Hermione asked.

“I will in awhile.” I answered.

“Goodnight.” Hermione said and I nodded at her.

I remained on the couch, racking my brains. So my uncle died and Professor Lupin had known him and my mother. And trying not to think about them, my thoughts came to Snape and how his eyes flashed dangerously at the word “Snivellus.” Is it possible that someone had called him that before? Or does he really hate me as much as he hated Harry?

“You’re still awake?” Fred asked and I jumped and took out my wand. “Oi!” he called out.

“It’s you! You nearly gave me a heart attack.” I said and he chuckled and sat beside me.

“So, still awake?” he asked and I nodded.

“I was just thinking..” I said and began to cry.

“Sav..” Fred began and then stopped and instead wrapped his arm around me.