But You Said You Loved Me

Hercules.

I was slowly pacing in front of the school, already sweating from the early Mississippi sun. I had my hair piled up on top of my head because I was too lazy to make it look at least half decent this morning. I was barely wearing any make-up, because I knew that I’d sweat it off anyways. It’s like this school doesn’t believe in air conditioning.

I pulled my white bag up higher on my shoulder and pulled down my shirt as I waited for Heath. I kicked at some rocks and scuffed up my white tennis shoes I bought last weekend with Sarah. I crossed my arms over my chest and huffed out a breath.

Grunting, I went to turn and head into the building where I would at least be out of the hot sun. I was opening the door when I heard my name being called, so I looked over my shoulder and grinned.

Sarah was running towards me, her sandals hitting the pavement and making the flopping sound. Her hair was pulled back into a French braid, and she was wearing a simple green t-shirt with a pair of capris. Her bag was bouncing on her back. “Ellie!” She shouted again, her face bright with enthusiasm. I laughed and pulled myself away from the door to meet her half way. As I got closer and could really see her I noticed a few things.

Her skin was bright and her eyes held so much light it made my heart swell with sisterly affection. I haven’t seen Sarah this happy, or this alive in forever. And there was only one thing that could have brightened her day—Jake.

“Is he really home?” She blurted out, her cheeks pink from running. Sarah grinned hopelessly and I smiled. She was oozing happiness.

I would like to interject and say that Sarah is in love, and has been in love, with my brother for a couple of years now. It never bothered me, really, because Sarah is a great girl and I knew she wasn’t trying to screw him over like all the other girls have in the past. Plus, I wouldn’t mind having her for a sister-in-law.

“Yeah,” I said, grinning as her smile began to reach her ears. “He is.”

She breathed in and asked me in one word: “CanIcomeovertoday?”

I laughed and began to turn so that we could head into the school today. “I don’t see why not.” I stopped as we opened the door and slid through. “But he will probably be sleeping.” She had started to skip a little as we made our way to my locker. I laughed at her reaction and shook my head and looked down at my toes before looking up.

“How is he?” She asked, still skipping. I looked up to see that we were almost to my locker and that there was a body leaning against the brown wall. I sighed—Heath.

“Calm down, hyper bunny.” He said, his blue eyes twinkling with a smile. I grinned and turned towards him, dropping my bag to his feet before wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him to my lips. He chuckled against them and pulled away.

I heard a grunt behind me, and turned to see Sarah glaring at Heath before muttering something about being late to Miller’s class again. She walked away into the mass of people around us in the hallway. I frowned and turned towards Heath, who was pulling away from me.

“What’s her fucking problem?” He muttered as he ran his hands through his brown hair. I groaned—he and Sarah never really liked each other.

“She’s my best friend, Heath, the least you could do is understand.”

“Understand, Ell? What am I supposed to understand, that she’s a lying sack of--.” I turned on my heel so that I faced him.

“Don’t start.” I warned him. “She’s my best friend.” He rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, whatever; just don’t forget who she fucked over.”

“What?!” I answered, incredulous. Was in insinuating that she fucked Jordan over? That is not what had happened at all. “Are you serious, Heath?” I turned and slammed my locker after getting my books from it.

“Yes, Eleanor!” He snarled as he went to grab my books from me. I pulled them away, my lips pulled back in distaste.

“No, Heath—Jordan fucked my best friend and left her! God, why are you so insensitive?” I went to walk around him, but he had grabbed onto my forearm.

“Ellie, wait, let’s just forget about this.” I yanked my arm out of his grasp and shook my head. “El! Come on; please let’s just forget it okay?”

“Fuck off, Heath.” I spat out before walking away.

__

I was drinking from my water bottle when Sarah dropped her plate of food next to me. She plopped into the spot to my right and sighed. “The new English sub is a babe.” She said, dreamily. I rolled my eyes as she began to pick at her lunch. Earlier today there was an announcement stating Mr. Miller has passed away over the weekend—it was sad, really, because he was a great teacher. But we all knew his time was ending. I grabbed my cookie and began to stuff my face.

“Any idea how long he’s subbing for?” I asked around a mouth full of cookie.

She nodded and put down her milk. “Until they get a new one, I guess.” I nodded. “Hey, don’t you have English last?” I nodded and she went back to drinking her milk. Once I swallowed my cookie, I began to ask questions. I was a little bit curious, because apparently the whole mass of females here are Biloxi High had thought the same thing Sarah was thinking.

“How tall is he?” I asked as I brought my water bottle to my lips and took another sip.

“About the height as Jake, maybe a little shorter.” I grinned—that was a good thing. I always did find tall guys attractive, but only if he was the perfect height. You know where you could easily fit yourself into his arms and have his head sitting perfectly on yours?

“Facial hair?” I asked. She nodded and smirked. I frowned—ew.

“But it suits him well. A lot of people can’t pull it off—be he can. It makes him look mysteriously sexy.” I snorted.

“Mysteriously sexy? How can one accomplish that?” Sarah laughed.

“Well, it’s kind of like a…hmm,” She scratched her head. “Like a bad boy.” I rolled my eyes and laughed. “He doesn’t have chest hair though.” I raised my eyebrow at this and looked over at her.

“And you know this because…?”

She smirked. “First few buttons were undone—it was fucking hot in that room.” She shrugged. “Well, he doesn’t have a hairy chest.” We both shuddered—chest hair is just gross.

“Long hair?” I thought of Heath, whose hair was somewhere in between I guess. He was currently still in Pre-Calc, because he had lunch A instead of lunch C.

“Yeah, I guess. It’s kind of short in the back, but spike-like in front. It kind of looks like he just crawls straight out of bed, which I find sexy. And he’s ripped as fuck, Ellie. I wouldn’t mind having his arms wrapping around me.” She laughed but I shoved her a little the side.

“We all know you’ve been dying for Jakes embrace, though, so that wouldn’t happen.” I teased and her cheeks turned pink. She chuckled, though a bit awkwardly and sheepishly, before changing the subject.

“His eyes are hazel—dreamy like, too.” I’m really beginning to like this guy, but I guess we’ll see for myself.

“I’m anticipating for last period.” I said as I dropped my bottle to my tray.

“Well,” She said, her eyes looking at her phone. “You have exactly three, two, one…”

And the bell rang, signaling that lunch was over and period four was just about to begin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so at the end of each chapter I want to enter a playlist of sorts for each chapter I write. I will begin it with the next one.

Sarah1
Ellie1