Sequel: Before the Storm
Status: Complete as of 5/31/14

Chasing Cars

We'll Be Fine

"Lex, you do realize we still gotta tell our parents about the baby, right?" Jack questioned me Monday morning as we got ready for our day.

"I know, Jack, but I'm really not looking forward to telling my dad. You know what he's going to say? That he's disappointed in me or something along those lines. Because you know why? That man I call a father stopped caring the day my brother committed suicide. He stopped caring about me because his most prized possession died and his worst mistake is still alive." I spat out angrily, a tear rolling down my face.

"Oh Lex." Jack sighed and pulled me down onto his lap, holding me close to him. "If you don't want to tell him, that's fine, but we still gotta tell your mom. How about we invite her over on a weekend?"

"I-I like that idea." I stuttered out, wiping away my tears with my sleeves.

"Alright. Finish getting ready babe, we're gonna be late."

I nodded and stood up, heading into Ben's room to put on his shoes. He was sitting on his bed singing a song and I smiled while grabbing his shoes and tying them on his little feet.

"Daddy, how's baby today?" Ben asked me suddenly.

"Baby's doing fine, sweetie. Baby really can't wait to meet you." I told Ben, tapping his little nose with one finger and he smiled widely at me, showing me a missing tooth.

"Really?!"

I nodded and kissed his forehead before standing up and grabbing his hand before walking downstairs where Jack was already waiting. We got our coats on and headed outside into the early cold December. Snow was falling gently, sticking to the already enormous piles of snow.

"Alright sweetie, behave in school. Love you, champ." I told Ben while kissing his forehead.

"Okay daddy. Behave." He told me, shaking a finger at me and both Jack and I laughed.

"You're adorable." I laughed and watched as he walked closer to me, standing directly in front of my stomach.

"Bye baby." Ben whispered and pressed a kiss to my still flat stomach. "I love you and be good to daddy."

I smiled as I looked down at my child with teary eyes. Jack moved closer and placed a hand on my back as he too smiled and ruffled Ben's hair in adoration.

"Alright kid, let's hit the road so daddy isn't late for school." Jack spoke a few minutes later and Ben nodded, waved goodbye at me and got in the backseat of Jack's car. "I'll see you later baby."

"Bye, love." I smiled and pecked his lips before getting in my own car and heading to school.

Once at school I met up with Vic who hugged me tight and I patted his back. Mike and Jaime joined us shortly after as we headed towards our first class.

"Where's your lover?" I asked Vic.

"At home. His first class doesn't start until ten." Vic answered.

"Ahh, lucky bastard." I yawned and earned a few hums of agreement from the other guys.

School was a drag. By the time the final bell rang, I was ready to pass out. I drove home carefully and when I pulled up into the driveway, Jack and Ben were already home. I walked inside and Ben ran over to me, attaching himself to my legs. I smiled down at him and Jack walked over with a smile.

"Hey babe, how was school?" Jack asked me as he pecked my lips.

"Tiring." I smiled.

"Was baby good, daddy?" Ben asked me as he placed a sticky palm to my hoddie.

"Yes, the baby was good." I assured Ben who beamed with happiness and kissed my stomach before running off.

Later that night as Jack and I laid in bed, we started thinking of names and other baby things.

"Let's not plan ahead too much, baby. We don't know what the future holds." I told Jack, suddenly a feeling of dread and sadness washing over me.

"Hey, let's not think about that, Lex." Jack cooed as he pulled me closer into this arms.

"I just can't help but worry, you know?" I sniffled, a tear rolling down my face and hitting Jack's chest. "You know this pregnancy has been anything but okay. With the pains and what not. Even the doctor told us to be careful because of my delicate state. I don't want to lose our child, Jack!" I sobbed.

"I know sweetie, but you know things happen for a reason. We just gotta wait this out, there's not much we can do about it but be careful and take things slow here." Jack mumbled, his lips pressed against the top of my head.

I kept crying silently into his chest, mindful of the child sleeping next door. Jack held me close and rubbed my side until I calmed down and eventually fell asleep. When I woke up in the morning, the water in the bathroom was running and a small tiny body was laying in Jack's spot. I smiled as I looked down at Ben who was still asleep. I smiled and ran my hand through his messy hair a few times until his eyes opened slowly and he groaned.

"Daddy, sleep." He whined, snuggling more into the blankets.

"No sweetie, we gotta get ready for school." I yawned and wrapped an arm him, pulling him closer to me.

Ben simply sighed tiredly, going back to sleep while I shook my head. The bathroom door opened and Jack stepped into the bedroom, already changed into his clothes which made me pout a bit and Jack chukled.

"When did the little guy get here?" I asked Jack.

"Around midnight. He came in crying and I let him stay." Jack answered. "You were dead to the world, babe."

"Yeah, I must have been." I chuckled.

Of course my day started out horrible and dove down into hell halfway through the day. I bumped into Trent around lunchtime while Zack and I were walking out of the library.

"Lex, baby, look at you. You look so much like a whore." Trent smirked as he folded his arms across his chest.

"Hey, back the fuck off!" Zack growled while standing in front of me.

"No need to get aggressive, Zack. Alex, have a good day." Trent walked off and I sighed in relief before leaning against the wall.

"You alright?" Zack asked me.

"Yeah." I sighed.

The weekend arrived quickly and we were getting ready to go to Jack's parents place. I was pretty nervous about telling Jack's parents about the baby.

"Babe, they're gonna be excited about this. Alright? Now don't worry so much, love, you're stressing the baby out and that's not good." Jack scolded me as we got into his car.

"I know." I sighed and held his hand.

"Oh boys, come in! I've missed you so much!" Joyce smiled happily and pulled us into a hug before picking up Ben. "Hi sweetie, how have you been?"

"Happy because baby likes me very much! My daddy says so." Ben grinned and I groaned quietly while Jack sighed.

"What baby?" Joyce asked as she let us step inside the house.

"We need both you and dad present for this." Jack said as we took off our coats and hung them up before heading into the living room where Jack's dad was sitting in an arm chair and reading the newspaper.

"Gwandpa B!" Ben cheered happily and Joyce set him down.

"Ben, what a pleasant surprise, kiddo." He smiled and lifted the child onto his lap.

"Honey, the boys have something to tell us." Joyce told her husband as she sat on the couch.

"What do you want to tell us boys?"

"You're going to be grandparents. Alex is pregnant." Jack told them and I offered a nervous smile.

"Oh sweetie, I'm so happy for you boys!" Joyce clapped excitedly and Jack's dad congratulated us with a smile. "And how's the pregnancy been, Alex?"

"Not the best. The doctor told me that my state is a delicate one and so far it's been a bit torturous." I sighed.

"Oh Alex, I'm sorry to hear that." Joyce said and gave me a sad smile.

"Are you excited to be a big brother?" Mr.Barakat asked Ben who nodded happily.

"Very!"

I smiled and leaned more into Jack's side, his arm wrapped around my shoulders. Jack's lips pressed against my temple and he mumbled those three words that make my knees go weak and heart beat faster each time he says them. "I love you."

"I love you too."

"We'll be fine."
♠ ♠ ♠
Story's almost over my little petunias. Approximately three chapters left + a sequel(?)