The Boy Next Door

seven.

Ella was never good with meeting new people. She went quiet and shy and didn’t know how to approach the situation. When she knew someone, that’s when she let go and could be herself. Funny enough, Ella had never felt the initial uncomfortable encounters with Harry. It had always been relaxed and despite a few fears of looking like a fool, she felt at ease with him.

“Hey guys, I want you to meet my new friend, Ella.” Harry introduced to the four guys standing before her. Ella smiled sweetly as each guy embraced her in friendly hugs; none of the formal handshakes went down here.

“You’re the girl from next door?” Louis asked, his hand in a girls who had been introduced to her as Eleanor.

“Yeah, that’s me.” She smiled, remembering a couple had waved to her the other night and she realised it had been these two.

“So where’s the food?” The blonde member called Niall spoke up, his smile was wide and infectious. Ella laughed and pointed outside where Harry had earlier started preparing the table outside. Niall wasted no time in running to seek out said food.

Harry scooted closer to Ella as the guys followed Niall out.

“You okay?” He asked, his fingers by accident brushing against hers. Ella nodded, tucking a stray bit of hair behind her hair. “Don’t worry about anything; the guys will love you.” His face held a small smile as his green eyes were shining with something that Ella couldn’t quite place.

He placed his hand on the small of her back and ushered her in the direction of the garden. She headed outside in the hot air, smiling when she saw Niall and Louis on the floor in a wrestling match as Zayn and Liam cheered from the side lines. Ella took a breath and headed over to Eleanor, who was watching the boys with an amused smile.

“Hey, Eleanor right?” Ella smiled, sitting down beside the brunette who was just as stunning close up. She had a cute face that had an innocent beauty about it. Just seeing Eleanor and Louis beside each other told her that these two made a perfect couple. They just fitted perfectly. Ella wondered if there was a guy out there who she fitted perfectly with. Just then, Harry took a seat beside her.

“Yeah, nice to meet you; Harry has talked non-stop about you this last week!” Eleanor giggled, winking at Harry over Ella’s shoulder. Harry’s cheeks turned a pale shade of red as he fiddled with a curl and smiled down at the floor.

“I hope all good things,” Ella smiled, looking at Harry who briefly met her stare.

“Oh of course,” Eleanor beamed.

“I just told them how lovely you and your family have been to me,” Harry quickly interjected, giving Eleanor a warning stare. She just shrugged and smiled, her eyes finding Louis as he took a seat beside her and gave a brief kiss to the lips.

“What you lot chatting about?” Louis asked, picking up a beer from the bucket and cracking it open. Eleanor went to speak but Harry got in first.

“Nothing,” Harry warned, looking at Eleanor again, “How’s the song writing coming along?” Harry changed the subject, thankful as his friend happily went into a story about the songs he’d been writing with Liam. Ella listened, intrigued how they decided to get into song writing for this new album and then was even more shocked to hear Harry had been working on a song too, though he had been struggling lately with inspiration.

“I’m sure you’ll have plenty of inspiration now,” Eleanor said quietly, but Harry heard and once again, she was the victim to his death glare. Ella wondered what was silently being said between the two, feeling a little slow that she hadn’t picked up on it yet.

As Harry and Eleanor began bickering below their breath, Ella stood to her feet and approached Niall who was speaking to Liam who was taking charge of the grill.

“Hey,” She smiled at them both, thankful at the friendly smiles they shot their way.

“’iya love,” Niall slung an arm around her shoulder and shot her that smile, which she wasn’t sure if it reached his eyes because they were covered by some black RayBans. “So Harry tells us you’re still at school?”

“Yeah, I’m on my last year of sixth form.” Ella smiled, happy to think her school days were over soon, but also feeling a little sad that she wouldn’t get to see her friends as much when everyone disappeared off to do different things.

“Oh, so you’re like our age then? I was expecting some GCSE student or something.” Niall laughed.

“Why would Harry hang around with a minor, Niall?” Liam chuckled, shaking his head. Niall laughed.

“Oh yeah, didn’t really think about that. I guess when someone mentions school, I picture some little girl with pigtails and long socks.” Niall was a little slow, Ella was beginning to realise, but then again so was she. She could see she would get on especially well with the blonde boy.

“Either that or you have a kinky mind,” Ella spoke, blushing when she realised what she just said. But Niall and Liam burst out laughing and Liam patted her back.

“Feisty little one we have here,” Niall chortled, pulling her tighter against his chest and giving her a little squeeze.

“I hope you’re not scaring her off, Niall?!” Harry spoke from behind them, his eyes eyeing Niall’s arm that was still slung casually over Ella. He knew his friend was so openly friendly, but Harry didn’t like how close these two were already.

“Nah mate, think I ‘ave myself a new friend,” Niall beamed, causing Ella to giggle. Harry forced a smile, scratching his head.

“Well no stealing, I just found her myself.” Harry was now laughing and looked more relaxed.

“Hey guys, remember sharing is caring!” Ella raised an eyebrow with a cheeky smile on her full lips. Niall held his side with his free hand and laughed out loud again.

“I’m not so good with sharing,” Niall whispered in her ear and Ella giggled again. Harry stiffened again and Ella wondered if he didn’t like how close she was to Niall, after all these were his friends and she didn’t want to take them away from him. Ella pulled away and excused herself to get a drink.

She looked over her shoulder as Liam spoke to both boys, a serious look on all their faces.

“Here you go, love.” Zayn smiled, handing over a cup of beer mixed with lemonade. Zayn must have seen her make the concoction earlier because she couldn’t stand the taste of beer on it’s own; so she smiled at how observant and thoughtful he was.

“Thank you, Zayn.” She smiled, accepting the drink with a grateful smile.

“No worries,” he smiled back, taking a sip from his own can. “Enjoying the day so far?” She could tell he wasn’t usually the most confident and sociable person of the group, so Ella was grateful he was attempting conversation.

“It’s been great, thanks. You’re all so lovely and welcoming!” Ella looked to the ground and shed a small smile.

“We are nice to people who makes such a positive impact on one of the group.” Zayn’s comment had Ella flicking her head back up and staring at him. She was about to open her mouth and ask what exactly he meant, but Harry appeared at her side, grabbing her hand and pulling her away.

“Come on, dinner is served.” He smiled as Ella followed, her mind wandering back to Zayn’s comment.

What exactly had he meant?
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh Harry, jealousy really isn't your colour!

Thank you to all who have spent the time to leave a comment. It means a lot to hear from you guys!
To those who silently read and subscribe, thank you too. You're all equally awesome!

Becca <3