‹ Prequel: Inner Demons

Hit and Run

Chapter 8

Delia shifted in the chair, forcing open her fatigue ridden eyes. Frank was sleeping soundly in the bed with his sister, leaving her to curl up in the nasty faux-oak chair. Nadine sighed quietly, her eyes fluttering open. She grimaced softly, blinking back the bright lights. Delia leaved forward, smiling at her, "Morning princess."

Nadine groaned, rubbing at her head beneath the crisp white bandages, "How did I get here?"

"Frank told me you fell down the stairs..." Delia explained, rubbing her hand.

Nadine looked at her, "I didn't fall..."

Delia blinked, "He said you did... they even found you on the landing."

Nadine shook her head, "Delia..."

She took a deep breath in, staring at her friend with teary eyes, "Gerard pushed me... he wanted to hurt me..."

Delia gasped softly, placing a slender hand over her mouth, "No..."

Nadine nodded, her eyes welling up. She pulled her knees to her chest and laid her head on them, blinking back the tears, "I can't even remember why we were fighting." she whimpered.

Delia sighed quietly, "Have they said anything about him?"

Nadine shook her head, "No.... why?"

Delia bit her lip, casting her gaze down, "He overdosed," she said subtly.

Nadine's eyes widened, then softened, "I-Is he okay?"

Delia shrugged, easing her body into the back of the chair, "Frank got me from work, and told me what he knew... which obviously wasn't much."

Nadine moaned quietly, holding her throbbing forehead. Delia rubbed her back comfortingly, whispering friendly nothings as she did so. Frank stirred on the bed, opening up his honey eyes, "Deeny?"

She turned her head, wincing slightly from her headache, "Yeah?"

Frank sat up as well, climbing out of the bed, "I didn't know you were awake."

She nodded carefully, blinking at him, "You didn't tell me about Gee."

He sighed softly, before turning towards her, "I didn't want you thinking it was somehow your fault."

Nadine shifted her gaze into the hallway, "Where is he?"

"Not here." Frank answered, pulling on his shoes.

She blinked, "What do you mean 'not here'?"

Frank sat down in the chair next to Delia's, "They took him to a different hospital, but he's getting transferred soon."

Nadine nodded softly, picking at the thin fabric on her gown, "I wanna go home."

Frank sighed quietly, playing with her hair, "I know sweetie... only 6 more hours."

She groaned loudly, "Ugh why!"

"Concussion." Delia piped up randomly, digging through her wallet for a spare dollar.

Nadine blinked at her, then smirked softly, "Can you get me an oatmeal creme pie? Please?" she begged, her borwn eyes glistening.

Delia smirked, "Hell no bitch..."

Nadine made a tiny whimpering noise and pulled her lips into the perfect pout, "But I wnat one..."

Delia sighed deeply and rolled her eyes, "Fine!"

Nadine squealed and clapped her hands together, "I getta creme pie! I getta creme piiiiiiiiiiiiiiie!"

Delia groaned and heaved herself out of the chair, walking out into the hallway. Their were several kids running around with casts on their arms, or head wraps similar to Nadine. She stared up at the "pediatrics" sign glinting under the flourescent lights. she meandered rather mindlessly, searching for the slightest sign of real food. She turned onto a new hallway, is bustling with doctors and nurses pushing people around in wheelchairs. There was a shabby looking vending machine at the end of the hallway, and it seemed to glow iwth a proverbial light. "Oh thank god..." she sighed, starting to walk towards it.

There was a bit of a flurry in one of the rooms nearby, and a group of doctors ran out, pushing a body on a stretcher. Delia blinked, watching as they rounded a corner towards the elevators. She then looked down at her shaking hands, and her money which had fallen on the floor. She bent down to pick it, rushing herself to the machine. She blinked back the tears in her eyes, pulling the food from the small opening. She fumbled with them for a moment, before tucking each one inside her jacket pocket. She wandered slowly back to the room, making instant eye contact with Nadine.

"I-I saw Gerard..."

Her eyes widened softly, and she watched in a silent awe as Delia threw the food onto the bed and half-sprinted out of the room. She wasn't really sure where she was headed, moreorless following the path the doctors had used earlier. she pushed past other people in the hallway, yelling at them to move, or 'get lost'. After a minute of this, a nurse came up and restrained her, "Hunny, what are you doing? Are you a patient here?"

Delia looked up at her, "No... but my friend is, I just saw him."

The nurse nodded, smiling gently. She was older, her tanned face softened by wrinkles and a light dusting of make up. She sat Delia down in a plaid chair in the nurse's station, handing her a box of tissues. "Now, what's your name?"

"Delia Bryar." she answered softly, blowing her nose.

"And your friend?" she pressed, brushing the wispy gray hair back under her cap.

"Gerard Way, he was transferred here this morning." Delia explained, chewing nervously on her lip.

She nodded softly and went over to a broken down computer, the keys clacking loudly as she typed in his name. "Okay, he just got here... but I don't think he has a room yet..."

Delia wrung her hands, "Look, we're really worried about him, does he have to be anywhere specific?"

She nodded, "In cases like his, it's best that he stay in one place."

"What do you mean a case like his?" Delia questioned, a dark feeling bubbling in her stomach.

The nurse sighed gently, moving from the computer, "We take drug overdose very seriously here. And with something as serious as cocaine, we want to make sure he won't try it again."

Delia nodded, a tear slipping out of her eye, "I wanna see him."

The nurse blinked, and standing up and motioning for Delia to follow her. She sniffled and trotted close behind, tucking her hands inside her pockets, "Is he okay?"

The nurse turned her head, shepherding her into the elevator, "He's awake, and stable."

Delia smiled softly, "So, I can see him?"

The nurse's face darkened, "I'll see what I can do... are you his sister...?"

Delia nodded hurriedly, "Pretty much, yeah. He took me after my brother died."

She nodded softly, leading her down a desolate looking hallway, "Third room to you're right, and uhh, don't mind the other patients."

Delia nodded, swallowing a lump in her throat. She pushed open the door, being greeted by two dark looking faces and Gerard's sleeping form. One of the men smirked, "Hey chica, the nurses finally sending us some medicine?"

Delia whimpered quietly and sat next to Gerard, shaking his shoulder. The man continued, "Don't worry about the faggot, pansy can't even handle 5 ounces of coke."

Delia's heart rate soared. The other man piped up, "What are you here for anyways? Paint his nails?"

She turned, her features contorted into a malicious smirk, "If you two don't shut the fuck up, I swear to god, I'll fucking kill you."

The man laughed, "Oh yeah, chica? Prove it."

Delia pounced onto his bed, punching his face repeatedly. He struggled beneath her, only to discover he had been strapped to the bed, "YOU DON'T THINK I'LL KILL YOU HUH?"

She kept going, feeling a sharp tug on her finger as the man's nose ring popped out. She stopped, breathing heavily and pulling the piece of jewelry from her flesh. The man stared at her, his eyes wide in disbelief. There was a loud cough, and a rusty, "Delia..."

She turned, staring as Gerard propped himself upright, "Del, what the fuck are you doing?"

She look back down at the man, putting his nose ring back in, "Nothin..."

She climbed down off the bed, walking over to Gerard. He narrowed his eyes at her, "What the hell, Delia?"

"He was talking shit about you, and he called you a faggot and..."

Gerard put a finger to her lips, "I don't care... how's Nadine?"

Delia chewed on her lip, "Umm, okay. She's worried about you."

He looked down, "Y-you know I would never hurt her on purpose, right?"

She blinked softly, "I-I dunno Gee."

His heart sank, "Delia... please, you know I love her. I would never hurt her."

She backed off slowly, "Gee, you pushed her down a flight of stairs."

His lower lip trembled, "I love her..."

Delia closed her eyes solemnly, turning towards the door, "I'll let them know you're awake."

A soft sob come from her lips, "Please... I love her..."

Delia shifted, opening the door, "Yeah, I'll tell her that too."