Status: This was previously titled Still Dreaming. It is now called Just Stay. Sorry for any confusion.

Just Stay

Chapter Two

“So she’s gone then? Talia is back in the States?” Arthur asked days later after Talia left. Matt nodded. “Since when?”

“Uh about a week ago,” Matt replied taking the darts from him as he reset the board. Arthur noticed the way his mood seemed to change a bit when Talia was mentioned.

At first Arthur had wondered what was going on between Matt and Talia, the way Matt spent a lot of his time with her or made sure he could take care of her when she was drunk spoke volumes. But afterward Matt made it clear that he enjoyed her company that she was a breath of fresh air in a normally dull day and since she had left, the dull seemed to have come back.

“So what’s the plan? Did you guys exchange contact info?”

“Yes, email and phone numbers. Speaking of which, hold on,” Matt stated taking his phone out of the pocket of his jeans.

Using the wifi provided by the pub he sent her a quick email, something he had been doing every day since she had left. It was becoming pretty much like a routine. One or the other would text or email the other and at night they would Skype or text. To be honest, it was quickly becoming something he looked forward to. The possibility of Skyping with Talia always seemed to make his day just that much better. He couldn’t explain it; he didn’t know why he liked it so much. But he did and he wasn’t going to push it.

Hitting send, he placed his phone back into his pocket and took the pint Arthur handed him.

“One more game then we head to the theatre?” Arthur handed him back his three darts.

Matt nodded, “sounds good to me.”

*****
Talia sat at her desk at work, trying to keep her mind on planning the next couple of weeks of art projects for the kids, but her eyes kept drifting to the photos that now adorned her desk. Photo’s sat in their frames all around her desk, photos from all of the adventures she went on in London. From Madame Tussaud’s where she stood with random wax figures to pictures at some of the landmarks. She had her ones of her and Matt at her apartment not wanting to do deal with all of the questions that would arise if posted on her desk

It wasn’t until she looked up that she saw the little number 1 next to her inbox folder in her email. Clicking the envelope that held her inbox, she smile at whose name appeared.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: mrsmith@gmail.com
To: t.jones@gmail.com
Subject: Congrats on making it 1 week home…
January 25, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Tali!

I realized today that you’ve been home for officially 1 whole week. I hope you are surviving without me protecting you from all the Charlie Chaplins. I believe you are at work right now; it’s just getting into the afternoon where you are. Arthur and I played darts this morning after the first showing and he brought you up. I think someone has a crush! Enjoy work!

Matt

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“What a git,” She said softly shaking her head, the smile still tugging at her lips. Clicking reply, she began to type her response back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: t.jones@gmail.com
To: mrsmith@gmail.com
Subject: RE: Congrats on making it 1 week home…
January 25, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Matty Boy!

Please do NOT remind me it’s been a week. I am just finishing my first work week and I feel like it is dragging. You protect me from Charlie? Since when? Last I remember practically threw me back at Charlie because you saw how scared I was!
I sure hope you beat Arthur at darts because that is one Brit who CANNOT play for the life of him. As for the last part I will pretend you didn’t say that because we both know that isn’t true. Besides, he isn’t a ginger.
Hey can you ship me some Jammie Dodgers? I am missing them like MAD and I am blaming you.

Tali, Jammie Dodger Addict

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: mrsmith@gmail.com
To: t.jones@gmail.com
Subject: RE: RE: Congrats on making it 1 week home…
January 25, 2008 at 5 pm

Jammie Dodger Stealer!

Don’t think that I have forgotten about you stealing all my dodgers when they were out. Did you not have enough while you were here? How many did we go through while you were here? But yes, I will send you some jammie dodgers. Text me when you get home, I am heading home from the theatre now.

Matt, the Jammie Dodger Savior

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Talia laughed at the signing of his email. Stepping from the subway she walked to up the street to her apartment building. The cold weather of the city stinging her cheeks and nose, she knew that she must have been rosy cheeked and Rudolfed nosed with just how much they were stinging and stepping into the warmth that her apartment had to offer, didn’t help.

Sighing, she placed her keys into the bowl on the table near her door before she took a moment to take her coat, gloves, scarf, boots and hat off.

“TGIF,” She said out loud to herself, enjoying the comfort of her home. Not bothering one bit about changing from her work clothes, she flopped down onto her sofa.

‘To- Matty Boy- It feels so good to lie down!’

‘From- Matty Boy- Always complaining! ;)’

‘To- Matty Boy- Come across the pong and say it to my face.’

‘From- Matty Boy- Will you be standing on a chair or a stool? Because otherwise I would break my back bending down to your height.’

‘To- Matty Boy- Evil British man!’

‘From- Matty Boy- Not true! Have time for Skype?’

‘To- Matty Boy- Give me 15 minutes to change then yes I am free.’

‘From- Matty Boy- 15 minutes…and go! :p’

Talia turned on her laptop so it could load while she went and changed into her pajamas and grabbed some water. A part of her was excited at the idea of seeing his face again instead of just texting or emailing him, she was actually going to see his face. She missed him, as odd as that was, saying that about someone you knew for a little over a week, but it was the truth.
With Matt she felt comfortable. He didn’t judge her, he didn’t try to make moves on her and he accepted her for her, everything about her. And for this she would be forever grateful.

A sound rang through her living room, the sound that signaled she was receiving an incoming Skype call.

“Hello!” She said waving as his face came onto her screen.

“Hello!” He waved back laughing. “So this is your flat then? Give me a tour!”

“Oi! You just call me and already you want me to show you around my place and into my room? Down boy,” Talia winked.

Matt laughed. “Did you just ‘oi’ me?”

“Maybe,” She drew out. “So my apartment tour then?”

“Yes, show me your home.”

Turning the laptop around while disconnecting it from the charger, “Okay, well this is my living room, with my amazing sofa that I fall asleep on A LOT. That right there is my ‘telly’ as you Brits call it and all of my movies and tv shows.”

“Very nice, that’s a nice set up. Maybe if I come to New York we can have a movie night,” Matt commented as she walked to the kitchen.

“Absolutely! And here is the kitchen, lots of counter space and cabinets. That is the door to come in and the closet door for coats and such,” Talia commented pointing things out. “Here’s the bathroom for guests, and the guest bedroom and finally,” she opened the door in front of her, “my room and bathroom.”

“I got into your bedroom on our first Skype talk, I didn’t expect that,” Matt joked laughing at the look she gave him once the lap top top was turned around again.

“Funny, Matty. How was your show? Didn’t royally mess it up?” Talia asked taking a seat once again on her sofa.

Matt rolled his eyes, “No, but thank you for all your faith. It went well, it’s going to be ending soon though, and I have some possible auditions coming up.”

“What kind of auditions for a play or tv?”

“Both. Hopefully I will get something. I also know in a couple of months they will be doing a play I want to take part in. How was work? Paint anything calming?”

“Nope, just some macaroni necklaces and if you are good I may send you one,” She winked with a smile.

“Oh goody I can’t wait!” Matt clapped, his face mocking excitement. “So any big plans now that you are home?”

“Yes, working and going back to everyday life. No more pub crawls or stalking Princes,” Talia stated. “How is London? Is it missing my presence yet?”

“Oh absolutely, it just got done telling me that while I was on the tube tonight.”

“Well, next time tell it that I will be back.”

Matt stared at her, silence fell over them.

“Will you really?” He asked.

“Absolutely,” She smiled receiving a smile in return.

“Well I can’t wait.”

The conversation flowed for a while longer, the pair talking about everything and anything that came to mind even enjoying a cup of tea together. The small little bits they were able to enjoy, was something they were both learning to treasure and appreciate. Their friendship was becoming something that they both wanted to keep going and build a stronger foundation for and they were making the strides to do so.