My Heroine

Chapter 10

Harry heard a knock on his door as he made his way around the flat placing a lit candle here or there to set the mood for tonight. After finding out that they had made the front page of one of the many local papers, he decided that Lia needed some extra pampering. Walking to the door, he threw it open with a smile that faltered when he saw who was on the other side.

“Will, Kate what are you doing here?” He asked not even trying to hide his surprise. Will held up the same paper Lia sent the picture of earlier today.

“Just wondering what the story is behind this.” Will said with a smirk. “You never told me you had a girlfriend.”

Not wanting to be rude, Harry moved aside to let his brother and sister-in-law into his place. Quickly looking at the clock on the wall, he hoped Lia would be late or this conversation would end sooner than 10 minutes.

“So who is she?” Kate was the first of the couple to ask the burning question.

“She’s someone I met in Afghanistan during this last tour.” Harry attempted to be as vague as he could, giving enough information to them without giving it all away. He had wanted to discuss coming clean to their families tonight with Lia before actually saying anything to anyone.

“Can you be anymore vague?” Will sarcastically commented. “You have to love the shit quality of some mobile phone cameras. The only way they confirmed it was you was by the picture of you two walking out."

Harry again looked at the clock on the wall this time being caught by Will. He looked back to the couple in front of him noticing the look in Will’s eyes when he put two and two together.

“She’s on her way here isn’t she?” Will smiled wickedly.

Harry glared at his brother as Will looked at him with a defiant gaze.

“She must be, otherwise you wouldn’t be trying to end this quickly or candles wouldn’t be lit everywhere.” Will smirked moving by his red faced brother. “I think we’ll just sit in the living room and wait, come darling.”

Kate eyed her husband and brother-in-law cautiously. She didn’t want to get in the middle of what William was causing by teasing Harry. She could see it written all over Harry’s face that he wanted them to leave, that every second Will pushed him, the angrier and more frustrated he became.

“William, let’s just leave, stop teasing Harry.” She said attempting to coax. “We can go home and take a nice bath together.”

If Harry hadn’t been frustrated and wanting his brother to leave he probably would have made a remark on her last sentence. Will continued to smirk at him, not moving or saying anything. Kate wrapped her hand in Will’s pulling him towards the door meeting with no resistance.

Harry watched as Kate opening the door, groaning inwardly as he saw Lia on the other side. Kate and Lia shared the same surprised look, Will looked between Harry and the blonde standing on the other side of the door. Harry saw the moment that everything clicked.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” Will muttered feeling his aggravation slowly overcome him. “Lia, please tell me that you aren’t the girl in the paper.”

Lia glanced to her boyfriend who stood behind the male who was questioning her. Her eyes met with his blue orbs screamed ‘I’m sorry.’ Looking back at the man standing in front her, who was becoming more impatient as the seconds drew on.

“I am.” Lia said her voice certain and full of confidence.

“Lia, please tell me you’re joking. That you’re covering up for who he is really seeing.”

“No, William,” She shook her head. “That’s me. That was Tuesday night before we went out to dinner.”

“So you’re seeing him again? After all these years?” Will questioned his voice raised ever so slightly. Lia didn’t react to his raised voice like the other two people around him.

“William, stop it. If they’re happy let them be.” Kate said from Will’s right.

“I am. I have been for 3 months now. What does ‘all these years’ have to do with anything?” She pushed past the obviously irritated man, going into the apartment towards the kitchen. She heard a harsh laugh come from behind her. Turning, she saw Will closer to her with Harry in the path, ready to stop his brother while Kate stood shocked by the door, eyes wide.

Lia moved standing in front of William just a foot or two away.

“Say it William, say what’s on your mind. I can tell you want to.” She pressed from where she stood.

“You’re a fucking idiot, Angelia. Is that what you want to hear? I honestly thought you were smarted than this, but I see now that you’re just a stupid blonde-“ Will was caught off by a seething Harry.

“Enough!” Harry changed his position to stand in front of Lia, where he glared at his brother. “You have no right to insult and disrespect her. Our relationship is none of your business and I will not stand here listening to you talk to her like that.”

“Oh fuck off Harry. You think that you won’t fuck up again? That you won’t leave when this gets too tough? You will hurt her all over again Harry, that’s what you do. You cheat and lie and hurt, you don’t deserve her.” Will spat, shaking his head. “You are going to be the one who keeps the long, embarrassing family history of infidelity.”

“Shut up William. Don’t stand here acting like you are so perfect. You left Kate before you married her too. Why was that dear William?” Harry hissed. “If was because you wouldn’t commit. It took you 10 years to marry her, 10 years. Yet you talk about me, you’ve done no better. I know I fucked up, I admit it, but that has nothing to do with you.”

William laughed a horribly almost diabolical laugh.

“It’s a good thing you’re the Spare Harry because you’re a poor of excuse of a man.”

Harry moved, his nose almost touching Williams.

“Get out.” He said in a menacing voice. He was only faintly aware that Kate had moved closer to them, pulling Will with her out the door with a quiet ‘I’m sorry’ as she shut the door.

Lia walked to her tensed shouldered boyfriend. She could tell he was fuming about everything his brother had said and she didn’t blame him at all. She had already come to terms that someone that knew their history would comment on her being ‘stupid’, but didn’t care. To her, all that mattered was what Harry and her felt. They had hashed everything out, he had earned her trust again and it was obvious to her that he wasn’t the same selfish man he was 10 years ago.

Placing her hand on his cheeks, her eyes locked with his. Almost immediately she felt him loosen up, his face lost the deep shade it had become, making it hard to tell what was his face and what was his hair. Lia felt his hands pulling her to him by her hips, hugging her to him. She refused to lose eye contact with him.

Harry looked into her eyes becoming overwhelmed with everything he saw: anger, sadness, exhaustion, but overall he saw the love that she felt for him.

“I love you.” He whispered to her.

“I know. I love you too. I hope you know that everything William said isn’t true. You are a brilliant, strong, compassionate and loving man. You are as much a man as William and I know that if ever given the chance you would make an amazing King.” She placed a finger to his lips when he opened his mouth to speak. “Shhhh let me finish. I trust you Harry, I know you would never cheat or mistreat me. You have proven this to me over and over again since we’ve gotten back together. I love you and have no doubt that you love me just as much. That’s all that matters to me, what you think and feel about me. Everyone else with their opinion can sod off.”

Harry kissed Lia with everything he had, showing her with affection what he felt about her. Lia felt tears prickle her eyes with how much love and emotion he placed into the kiss. It was in that moment that they knew without a doubt that they were stronger than before. That there was nothing more important than their love.