Status: Not completed

Teenage Dirtbag

It'll all get better in time

Jack’s POV
After our second period, one I had with Haley, we headed for the cafeteria to find Alex and Tay. Haley was rambling about a project we had to do together, but I wasn’t really listening. I had spotted Aimee in front of me and Haley and Tay had made me realize if I didn’t change our "situation", it wouldn’t change at all. So it was time for me to make a change. I began to walk faster, up to Aimee, with Haley still following me.
“Where are you going?” I heard her ask, but I didn’t reply.

​​​By now I had caught up with Aimee and I grabbed her arm, causing her to turn around.
“Jack” she said, seemingly excited for a moment, but her smile quickly dropped when she realized we were surrounded by her friends who were giving us weird looks. She untangled her arm from my grip. “What do you want?” she continued harshly.
“To give you a choice” I said resolute.

​​​By now, Haley had caught up with us as well and was standing next to me.
“Is that so?” she asked. Her voice was still harsh, but I noticed a flash of fear in her eyes.
“Yes” I said.
Aimee exchanged a look with her friends. I could tell she didn’t really know how to act with both them and me around. “And why exactly should I care?” she asked contemptuously.
“I think you know why” I replied, looking her in the eyes. “You either tell your friends right here, right now how you feel about me, or we’re over. It’s up to you”

​​​They were all silent for a while, until her friends burst into laughter. Aimee however, didn’t. Her friends probably thought I was making a fool of myself, but I knew better than that. I figured Aimee was considering her options.
“I won’t do that, Jack” she hissed.

​​​She probably thought I wasn’t being serious anyway. I was, though, and I would make that very clear.
“Then we’re done” I said, turning on my heels and without giving her a second glance I walked away. Seconds later I heard Haley catch up with me.
“I’m proud of you Jack” she said.
“Yeah, well, I wish I could say the same” I replied. Right now I just felt kind of empty and was already regretting doing this. Why did I let Haley and Tay talk me into this again?
“You will, soon” Haley said. “It might be hard right now, but soon you’ll come to realize it’s better this way.”

​​​She pulled me in for a side hug, which didn’t go very easily as we were walking. After she let go of me, I spotted Tay and Alex at a table across the cafeteria and we headed for them.
“Please tell me Aimee looked like she was about to explode because you broke up with her?” Alex asked.
“Oh god, you too?” I sighed. I knew Tay and Haley were firmly against me "dating" Aimee, but I didn’t really expect Alex to care. Alex nodded, still waiting for a reply.
“We weren’t actually together, but yes, I told her I was done with her” I muttered.

​​​“It was wonderful” Haley continued, describing the whole scene to Alex and Tay.
“You okay?” Tay, who was sitting next to me, asked me, while Haley was still talking to Alex about what had just happened.
I shrugged. “I will be.” I answered, forcing myself to smile.
“Right now it just sucks, but in a few days you’ll be relieved you won’t have to keep up appearances anymore” she said in an attempt to make me feel better.

​​​I sighed. “You’re probably right, but I first have to get through the next couple of days.”
“Oh you will. Just do stuff girls do after a breakup, like make a list of all the things you hate about her, watch sad movies, and eat a lot of ice cream. You know, that kind of stuff. I’ll even let you borrow some of my sad movies” Tay said. “And of course, if you need someone to talk to, I can be that too.”
I couldn’t help but smile. “Thanks Tay.”
“No problem” she replied. “Just let me know if you need something. We’ll probably have lots of ice cream as well."

​​​“You sure are prepared for a heartbreak” I joked, but as soon as I said it, I realized it wasn’t exactly funny right now and I was about to apologize when Tay continued talking.
“Yeah well, sometimes you see them coming huh? But I always love sad movies and ice cream, not just when I’m heartbroken. And surprisingly enough the guys love those things too - yes, even the movies - so we just got quite a lot of sad movies and ice cream.” Tay explained.

The bell rang and we all got up to go to our classes. I had my next class with Alex, so he and I separated ways with Haley and Tay who both had their own classes to get to.
“Well, Tay must’ve been excited to find out you’re done with Aimee” Alex said as we were going up the stairs.
“Not really” I said. “Or she was hiding it very well. She’s not desperate, Alex. She was just being a good friend”
“That’s how it all starts” Alex joked.

​​​“At least she bothered to ask me how I was feeling” I shot back, annoyed.
“Jeez, I didn’t know Tay had become such a touchy subject” Alex said.
“She hasn’t” I said.
Alex raised his eyebrows. “Clearly.”
​​“How about you and Haley stick to your relationship and stay out of mine? My friendships, I mean” I said.

​​​Alex sighed. “Look, I’m sorry about Aimee man. Because none of us actually liked her, I admit I hadn’t really thought about how your “breakup” made you feel. I’ll just get off your back for the day.”
“Thank you” I replied.

​​​I really wasn’t in the mood for social interaction at all. I just wanted to go home and lock myself in my room. Possibly with a sad movie and some ice cream, because that didn’t sound like such a bad idea. I just might have to take Tay up on that offer. I hadn’t really expected Alex to understand. After all, I had been the one to break up with Aimee. I hadn’t done it because I didn’t like her anymore though. I had done it because I was tired of keeping up appearances and I wanted to be able to walk around holding hands with my girlfriend anywhere. That didn’t mean it didn’t hurt though but I knew it would get better in time. For now I’d just have to get through two more classes and then I could go home and have a pity party.
♠ ♠ ♠
A short one, I think I'm gonna try to update more often with shorter chapters as I feel like I keep pushing myself to write longer chapter and because of that I don't really feel like starting new chapters, so they might be shorter for a while.

​Also, I'm running out of appropriate ATL lyrics, so from now on I won't limit the chapter titles to All Time Low songs.

​Title credit: Better In Time - Leona Lewis​​​​​​​​