Status: Not completed

Teenage Dirtbag

Our time is coming

Jack's POV
​​​​​​​After school Alex, Haley and I drove to Zack and Rian’s school to pick them up and go to Josh’s office. We were all very excited, although Haley was mostly just quiet. I wasn’t used to that side of her but I figured she was nervous. She had never been fond of singing in front of strangers, even though she did great yesterday. I knew she would, which is why Alex and I decided to make her do it, to give her the courage she needed. I knew Haley loved to sing and she had too much potential to let it go to waste.

Soon enough we got to the office and Alex parked in front of it. We all went inside and asked for Josh at the reception. The receptionist called him and told us to sit down and wait for him.
“You okay?” I asked Haley after I sat down next to her. “You’re so quiet.”
“Just nervous” she answered.
“Why?” I asked.
“I’ll probably fuck up” she shrugged.

​​​​​“When are you gonna believe in yourself?” I asked. “You are a great singer, and if you sing anywhere near as good as you did yesterday, you got yourself a record deal” I told her. “Just relax and enjoy it.”
“That’s easy for you to say” Haley muttered.
“Is it?” I asked. “You think I’m not nervous? So what if you fuck up? You’re only human, we all fuck up sometimes. You don’t have to be perfect, just good enough.”

​​​“And what if I’m not? What if I’m not ready for this?” she asked.
“You are. You have been since I first hang out at your house and you and your father were singing along to this song on the radio. You didn’t even try and you were amazing.” I told her.
She was silent for a moment. “You remember that?”
“Of course. At that moment I knew one day it would be your song that we’d be listening to on the radio. You were born ready, Hales.”

​​​Haley smiled and Josh entered the reception, inviting us to come with him to his office. We all got up and followed him.
“Nice speech dude” Alex said.
“All she needs is a little confidence” I shrugged.

​​​We walked into an elevator and Josh pressed the “4” button. The elevator went up and we got out at the fourth floor, following Josh into his office. We all sat down on the chairs that were probably just moved to the office for us.

“I suggest I give you your contract first. It’ll take some time to read it” Josh looked at us, “and in the mean time I’d like to hear some more from you.” He looked at Haley, who nodded quietly.
He opened a drawer and pulled out a pile of paper. He gave the four of us a few pages each.

​​​“Please read the whole thing before you sign. There’s no weird stuff in it, but we do want to be sure you agree to our terms” Josh told us. “You can stay here while I’ll take Haley to a more soundproof room to not bother my colleagues.”

​​​Haley got up, looking like she was about to throw up.
“You’ll be great” Alex said softly, squeezing her hand. She nodded shortly in reply and followed Josh outside. We all started reading the contract.

Haley’s POV
I followed Josh to another room. Thankfully, I noticed an acoustic guitar in the corner. I didn’t know if I had to bring a guitar myself but decided not to, something I’d regretted our entire drive down here.

​​​“Can I use that?” I asked, pointing at the guitar.
“Of course. You can use anything. Show me what you got” he said.
I nodded and grabbed the guitar. I sat down on the stool on the other side of the room while Josh sat down on a couch. I quickly tuned the guitar.

​​​“Uhm… Do you want me to play something original or a cover or…?” I asked.
“Anything you’d like. Play something you feel comfortable playing. I’m not here to judge you, Haley. I’m 99% confident in saying you’ll be a great addition to our label, I just can’t be 100% sure from just one song. Just play like you do at home, as if nothing depends on it.” He said assuring.

​​​I nodded and started playing a song I had written years ago. I tried to do as Josh told me and pretend I was sitting in my bedroom all alone. Somehow it worked. I felt myself relax a little and got into the song.
​​​
“The saddest words you said have all gone to my head, I hear angels sing in your voice, when you pull me close, feelings I’ve never known, they mean everything and leave me no choice”

​​​I closed my eyes getting into the song and as I got more confident I started singing more intensely.
​​​
“I’m a lightweight, better be careful what you say, with every word I’m blown away, you’re in control of my heart.”

​​​When I finished the song I heard someone applauding. A couple of someones actually. I opened my eyes and realized Alex and Jack had come in while I was singing. I immediately felt my face turn red and just stared at the guitar on my lap. I hadn’t played this song for them before either. I had only recently found these lyrics in my room again after I forgot about the song and rewrote them a little.

​​​“That was beautiful.” I expected it to be Alex who said that, but it was Josh. “You’ve got your record deal.”
“Really?” I asked surprised.
“Absolutely. You’ll be a great addition to our label” he replied. “Let’s get your contract ready.”

​​​I got up and put the guitar down again. Jack and Alex both ran up to me to hug me.
“Congrats!” Jack exclaimed.
Alex quickly kissed my cheek. “I knew you could do it” he whispered.
We followed Josh back to his office, where Zack and Rian were still waiting.

​​​“She did it!” Jack exclaimed, wrapping his arm around my neck and messing my hair up with the other hand. Zack and Rian both got up to hug me and congratulate me while Josh was doing something on his computer, probably getting my contract ready.

​​​“Did you read and sign them?” Josh asked, pointing at the guys’ contracts. They all nodded and he put them back in the drawer. “I just have to get your contract ready. Do you guys want some coffee?”
We all nodded and Josh went to get us coffee.

​​​“I’m just gonna text Tay that you got the deal” Jack said.
“You know, I’m perfectly capable of doing so myself” I teased him.
Jack’s face turned red. “Shut up.”

​​​“So how are things going between you guys?” Alex asked Jack.
“Still trying to find a way to prove to her I don’t see her as a rebound” Jack shrugged.
“Just give it some time” I said. “We spent 45 minutes dressing her up and doing her hair and makeup yesterday for the sole purpose of impressing you. Trust me, she’ll come around.”
“Really?” Jack asked surprised.
“Really” I confirmed, causing Jack to smile broadly.

​​​“You’re such a little kid” I told him.
“Oh just let him be in love” Alex said, poking my side. “You of all people should know what it’s like to be in love with someone so irresistible.”

​​​“Oh please” I said laughing. “You just signed your record deal 10 minutes ago and you’re already this conceited?”
Alex nodded. “Don’t talk to me, you peasant.”
“Well, as you wish, sir” I replied, pressing my lips together tightly showing Alex I wasn’t speaking to him anymore.
“Okay, you can talk to me” Alex pouted seconds later.

​​​“Who says I want to? I got a record deal too, you know?” I said, a contemptuous look on my face.
Josh returned with our coffee and Alex and I stopped talking. He handed all of us a mug and sat down behind his computer again, working on my contract.

​​​“I’m going to print this out and then all you need to do is read it and sign it” Josh said after we finished our coffee. He left once again, probably for the printer. When he returned he handed me the contract, which I read carefully and signed.

​​​“Well, you’re ready to go then. I’ll be in touch with you soon” he said, getting up. We all got up and shook his hand before he let us out.
“Time for another party!” Jack exclaimed once we were outside, throwing his fist in the air.
“Count me in” I replied, feeling a lot better than I did an hour ago.
​​