Status: Currently experiencing some serious writer's block on this story

The Girl Who Stayed

How it became Mine

I wielded my sword as the twins lunge towards me. I giggle as I fend off their attack; all around us the boys are busy in similar types of play. The rough and tumble type that would make my mother scold me if I were still with her. If I had my way, I will never live under her roof again. In fact, I will never grow up. Do I wonder though, for the tenth time today, how much time has passed since I got here. Has it been years? Months? Mere hours? It seems like a lifetime ago I flew out of my window. When I asked Peter when it was, he said there is no need for time keeping in Neverland. Only a grown up would worry about something so silly as time.

“We have all the time in the world here Maggie. It can never get away from us here. It can never catch us.” He laughed and pulled us outside of the tree house to watch the fairies dance looking much like stars in the sky.

Peter was amazing and in those first few years of my new life. I had a crush on him. I would blush when he smiled in my direction. Or giggle too loudly when he told a joke. Over time though, whatever charm Peter had stopped affecting me. Suddenly he was just another boy to me, like all the other lost boys. At first, it angered him, Peter loves being the center of someone’s attention. Or maybe everyone's attention? I joked that it was weird that he wanted all the ‘Darling’ women to be in love with him. He threw a fit trashing the place. Then he huffed away and spent the whole day away from us. The boys and Tink were worried sick, I shrugged and went off on my own. It was my first time exploring Neverland on my own. I fell more in awe of the place as I saw the unending rivers, the lush hills. The endless island was like out of any wonderful book I had ever read. It was the perfect place, a place I never want to leave.

After that day everything quickly changed. Especially something in Peter, he suddenly began to yearn a love that a grown up wants. The love of a woman. He hid it well at first, but it came up in conservation often. He spoke about his first kiss with Wendy, and his kiss with Tiger Lily. The way the mermaids showered him with attention. He even spoke about Tink's jealously and fierce loyalty. He started asking me about marriage, children, school, and work. I mean, it wasn't odd for Peter to be curious but it was odd for him to be curious about grown up things. Then suddenly he went off to London and he stayed away quite sometime. When he did come back, he only came to announce that he was leaving. My little sister’s granddaughter had just turned sixteen and they fancied each other. Peter was finally going to live. He would finally going to grow up. He told me they lived in the same home, and if I ever wanted to visit I could.

By the time Peter left, all the boys who were here when I first got here were long gone, replaced by new children. (More girls had been turning up ever since I got here.) So no one but Tink and I were really left to mourn Peter’s absence. Like on many trips Peter had taken before, Neverland seemed to sleep in his absence. The rivers froze over and the petals on the flowers closed up. The fairies slept longer, the children laughed less. Out of nowhere, one day when I was out getting food for the children and me, I touched the tips of a rose petal and Neverland sprung to life again. Suddenly, I was the new Pan. His enemies became my enemies, his duties became my duties and Neverland gave me a fairy of my own. Tinkerbell had a brother named Tuck, who soon was always by my side. As loyal to me as Tink ever was to Peter and with Peter’s absence Tink slowly died. Her small body couldn’t handle the grief of her lose. We buried her in earth and Tuck mourned her. It was sad a day, one, I have never forgotten.

All of that, was so many years ago. More than even I am aware of. More then any of the lost boys ever lived. Tink was just another memory to Neverland, like Peter Pan and Captain Hook. I have long replaced him and my own foes take Hook's place. I have also long since changed my name from Maggie to Payton Pan, taking the name that Peter left behind and the legacy it carries with it. Neverland is now mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry its short, but its still intro stuff :) Feel free to let me know what you think