An Introvert's Guide to Romance.

two - one

“I couldn’t help myself. Adrian was getting out of the swimming pool and his back muscles...damn!” said Tammy, closing her eyes and squealing. We were still at the pub, having like our sixth cup of sodas and french fries. I didn’t realize how great it was to hang out with Tammy. She was currently talking about about her new beau named Adrian Parker who goes to same high school as I did. I smirk as I watched her remember the day she first met Adrian.

“If he went to our school, you should have seen him before.” I noted, dipping a french fry in ranch and popping it in my mouth.

“I know him around school but he didn’t catch my eye like he did at that swimming pool. Can you imagine how flustered I was when he started to talk to me? If you know me, I am a very confident girl but...talking to him made me feel like I was melting.” she explained and the way she explained it, it was making me curious? Is this how it feels like when you talk to someone you like? No boys in high school, or I didn’t pay enough attention to boys in high school, ever caught my eye like Tammy did when she saw Adrian.

“You are making this into a romance novel.” I teased, making Tammy throw a French fry at me. I laughed and retaliated.

“Believe me. I am not the person to be easily fooled by guy’s charms but Adrian was too handsome to be in high school. It’s fucking high school! Where teenagers think they are better than middle schoolers but still have the mindset of a middle school student. Adrian is more reserved, mature and talks about things you don’t normally hear from a high school student.” She had a dreamy look in her eyes but I knew she was the type of girl not to let emotions get the best of her.

“Like what?”

“News. Research. Medicine. He is like a news with legs. We would just be sitting there and he would say something like avocados is good for the cervix and vagina.” she said and I laughed.

“Really? Avocados is good the for the vagina?” Tammy nodded. “So, girls who are allergic to avocados….”

“Have a very weak vagina.” finished Tammy, making both of laugh real hard. Tammy looked at the phone and sighed. “It’s time for us to leave. It’s almost seven and I need to talk to Adrian about school so I will see you.”

******

It’s been a while that my alarm blared out. The sound was so suddened that I jump out of my bed and ended up on the floor. The whole series of events caused me to bring the comforter down with me. I groaned, almost breaking the alarm clock as I smacked it to shut it up. I looked at the time and it said 5:30 in the morning. It took me a few minutes, but I stood up, almost falling back down because of the tangle of the blanket. I grabbed the comforter and threw it at the bed. I was in no mood to make the bed. If I don’t hurry up and take a shower, I will sleep while I stand.

For taking shower, I only grabbed my underwear. I really didn’t like the bring my clothes inside the bathroom so it won’t get wet or have something damaging happening to them. I shed my clothes, shivering from the cold tiles and waiting outside the shower for the water to get hot. I hated cold water. I wash my dishes, my face or whatever in hot water. Only cold water I like is cold water to drink. Seeing that the bathroom was beginning to get steamy, I walked in the torrent of hot water and relaxed instantly. The hot water woke me up faster than anything could and in few seconds, I was humming to Portishead Humming song. Ironic, right? But that song is way too beautiful for me to ignore it.

Getting out feeling like a new dime, also liking the fact that my skin is now refreshed, I dried up fast and slathered Jergens all over my body, liking the smell of the Ultra Healing. I wore my underwear and wrapped my hair in a towel, I went to my room and set up the blow dryer. It was only six the morning so I have time to style my hair but decided against it. A bun would suffice the first day of school. After blow drying my hair, I got the cloths out that I readied last night. It was a white button up shirt with black lace covering the collar paired with scandalous red high shorts. Under the neat the shorts, I wore the black but sheer hose, so the deans won’t think I am surpassing the dress code limit. The shoes I chose was a black combat boots with spikes on the front.

Finishing what I was wearing, I moved onto make up which only consisted of foundation, bronzer, blush, eyeliner and red lipstick; keeping things simplistic but bold. I bunched my hair together and started to twist it into a bun, applying a bobby pin where it was needed. Deciding against hair accessories, my transformation was done. Grabbing my huge red purse, I placed all of my school supplies in there and shouldered it. I turned around to face the full body mirror that was attached to my closet door, I smiled, knowing that my first day of school wasn’t going to be a lousy one now that I have Tammy.

The time was blaring 6:45 and school started at 7:30 and I smiled. I didn’t expect to finish this early so I went to the kitchen to grab some bagel and some Sunny D. I heard some grunting, mumbling and shuffling from the hallway and I couldn’t help but giggle. My mom entered the kitchen, wearing her work uniform. She was a registered nurse for the nearby hospital and she works 48 hours a week meaning 12 hour shifts for four days. She goes to work at seven in the morning and returns home seven in the morning.

“Good morning, mom.” I said, smiling brightly at her. Knowing the fact that she is not a morning person, I loved to irritate her. She just stared at me then grunted. She went to the coffee machine, replaced the filter, put couple of spoons of coffee and water and waited for the machine to heat up. “Well, I am heading off to school. See you at seven? What do you want for dinner?”

“Anything. Hummus. Pita bread.” she replied and I replied with affirmation. Mom and I loved our Mediterranean food. I grabbed my car keys and left the house. Driving to school was a step on the social ladder. People wants to be friends with a person who has a car so if they wanted to ride somewhere, they can just pick up their phone. My phone vibrated and I checked it when I hit a red light. Tammy was at school and she was waiting for me with Adrian at the front gates of the school.

I entered the shitty school’s parking lot and parked in the front. I grabbed my purse and got out of the car just as a shiny red Porsche parked right beside me. I looked over to see a skinny tall girl with long blond hair and red lips get out of the car. Rachel Kane, one of the richest girls in school. She saw me look at her and smiled at me. Oh, Rachel Kane wasn’t a cliche rich brat. Rachel Kane, however, was the girl that others girl wished they were. With her model like figure and smart brain, a snap of a finger and she could bring the whole male race down to their knees. Hmmm, I sound like one of those girls.
Rachel Kane ignored me. She ignores anyone that she doesn’t find interesting to talk to. Which was fine by me, by the way. I don’t come to school so I could do anything to have some like Rachel to be in my friend’s list. I locked my car and started to walk towards the front gates of the school. There she was, standing by a pillar with a boy with light blond hair. Tammy. She and her boyfriend was laughing at something and her boyfriend, Adrian, leaned in and kissed her.

“Hey, Tammy.” I said, awkwardly. I didn’t want to ruin their kiss but they didn’t look mad when they looked at me.

“Hey, Amby. Amby, this is Adrian.” introduced Tammy and I looked over to boy. He had blond hair that was past his ears and it was currently slicked back. He had pale skin with blue eyes and he regular built. Adrian was good looking guy and he had kind eyes.

“Hello.” I said, waving at him. He looked at me confused and I felt dread crawl up my spine. Did I do something awkward that he will make fun of me?

“Didn’t I have you for English last year?” he asked and my muscles relaxed in relief. He was just trying to remember me. “Mr. Morrison? Sixth period?” I did had Morrison for sixth period...and I do remember Adrian!

“Yeah! Yeah. You were sitting in the back with...with...Xander! The one with two different eye color! He is your best friend, right?” I asked and he smiled, nodding. “He is not here yet?” Adrian shook his head, smiling. He had a soft smile and a likeable personality. Tammy’s outgoing personality and Adrian’s goes well together.

“That idiot is probably still sleeping. I will call him and check up on him.” said Adrian, laughing and walking away. Tammy walked up to me when he was out of earshot. She smirked at me as she crossed her arms across her chest.

“So? What do you think of Adrian?” asked Tammy, wiggling her eyebrows. I laughed at how silly she looked.

“He is a keeper and a sweetheart, Tammy and stop with those eyebrows!” I almost squealed, laughing real hard. Tammy didn’t stop; in fact, she moved them faster. “Stop! Adrian! Your girlfriend is being weird!”
“I KNOW!” The response from her boyfriend made Tammy pull her mock shock face and scoffed in mock disbelief. Adrian came back, smirking. “Yeah. You. You know what else she does? When my parents and I go to sleep, she sneaks and eats all the ice cream!”

“I am not denying that because it had been done before. It was Cookies and Cream. Bite me.” she said, grinning at him, evilly.

“Then she blamed it on me and my mother believed her. I didn’t have ice cream after that for three weeks.” he said, pouting. I pouted back at him. “Oh yeah. Xander is already here. He is by the chart that tells you where your homeroom is. Let’s go meet him.”

“I hope we all have homeroom together.” I wished, giddy that Adrian had became my new friend. Tammy and Adrian nodded, walking hand in hand.

“I feel like this year is going to be a good one.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Her school wear