Violent Kisses and Violent Minds

Chapter Thirty One

Chapter Thirty One:
“Hey,” Simone said when she saw four familiar people enter her hospital room.

“Hey,” they all replied in unison.

“How are you feeling?” Megan asked.

“Meh.” She shrugged, then winced in pain. “Ow.”

“We brought you a book, something to read while you’re here,” Megan said, walking over to Simone’s side. She handed her a book.

“Thanks.” Simone nodded her head in an approving way.

“You want something from the café down the street? We’re gonna get some breakfast. We just wanted to call in first,” Jess said.

“Uh… no thanks, I just had a greatbreakfast, compliments of the hospital.” She emphasized ‘great’ in a sarcastic way. Matt, Jess, and Megan laughed weakly but Travis made no attempt. He was staring at the wall. To anyone who may have looked at him then, he probably looked like he was off in another world. La La Land, perhaps.

“Okay then. We’ll be back soon,” Jess said as her and Matt and Megan began walking towards the door.

“Not by my watch,” Matt said, for reasons unknown.

“Uh… I’m not really hungry. You guys go, I’ll wait here,” Travis said, his gaze venturing from the wall.

“You sure?” Megan asked.

“Yeah.”

“Okay, Travvy, see ya soon. Love ya, babe.”

“Yeah I love you too,” Travis half mumbled, half under his breath.

A few minutes after the door had shut, when she was sure the three were long gone, Simone spoke. “What was that about?”

“What was what about?”

“Yerilurveyertoo,” Simone said, slurring the words quickly together like Travis had done.

“I did not say it like that,” he defended.

“Yeah, you did. Did you and Megan have a fight?”

“No.”

“Are you thinking the relationship wasn’t a good idea?”

“Trust the matchmaker to work it out,” he mumbled. He sat down on the seat closest to Simone’s bed and looked her in the eyes. He got more serious then, and began confessing his feelings and thoughts to Simone. “It seems like all we do is fuck. We don’t seem to have a connection like we did before. But who knows, it was probably just lust and as soon as we got in each others pants that went away.”

He sighed, looking at the ceiling. Simone waited for what he was going to say next; she could tell he wasn’t finished.

“I’m sorry to dump all this on you, it’s just… I didn’t know who else to talk to. Sonny and Derek have enough of their own shit going on at the moment, and Matt… he’s so much like a kid in a candy store, he wouldn’t listen, he’d just want… candy. I don’t know Jess well enough to feel comfortable talking to her about this, and I didn’t want to talk to Megan straight up. I will… I just needed to talk to somebody else first. And that leaves you. I feel bad about doing it because of the whole… car… thing…”

“And that leaves me. And it’s okay, really, I don’t feel that bad. I don’t see why they can’t just let me go already.” She paused. “Go on.”

“I just don’t think this relationship was a good idea.”

“Does Megan have any idea how you feel?”

“No, she thinks I’m happy with the relationship.”

“You need to tell her, Travis.”

“I know. But there’s something else, too…” He trailed off.

“What is it?” Simone asked. She waited patiently for a good five minutes before Travis said anything else.

“I think I like someone else…” He sighed deeply.

“Do you wanna tell me who it is?” She asked, putting him under no pressure.

“Maybe,” he said. “I have to break up with Megan, anyway, so even if she found out…”

“I’m not gonna tell her, Travis. You can trust me.”

He let out another deep sigh. He placed her hands in his and prepared himself to speak.

“Sim, I have three very important things to tell you.”