Captain Clutch

Chapter 25

All around me I heard beeping of machines. I kept my eyes shut tight. I heard some hushed whispers in the far corner of the room. I couldn't really make out what they were saying. I felt a sharp pain in my side and I groaned. Finally I opened my eyes. Maxime was at my side in seconds.
"Hey baby sister." Maxime said sitting down next to me. I looked up at him.
"Hi." I said shifting in the hospital bed. I couldn't remember anything and I wasn't sure why I was here. I looked over at the door and saw Sidney standing there. He just stared at me.
"Kay, you scared us." Maxime said looking extremely concerned.
"I don't remember anything. The last thing I remember is that horrible news." I said looking at Maxime.
"What news?" Sidney asked moving in the room now.
"Maxime got traded." I said glaring at my brother.
"What?" Sidney said looking between Maxime and myself.
"Yeah, I got traded a couple days ago. I leave next week, thats why I didn't play yesterday night." Maxime said looking at Sidney.
"That's what brought this on? Are you fucking kidding me?" Sidney said running his hands through his hair. He started pacing back and forth at the foot of my bed.
"I fucked up, didn't I?" I whispered tears forming in my eyes.
"Kayla, I think you should go back to Rehab." Maxime said sitting down at the edge of my bed.
"No." I said simply. "I'm not going back there and I'm not moving."
"Kayla, we talked about this. You don't have a choice." Maxime said.
"Yes she does." Sidney said. "You can move in with me."
"What?" Maxime and I both said at the same time.
"Move in with me, your life is here Kayla, plus I don't want you to leave me." Sidney said looking at me.
"I don't want to leave you either. I'm so sorry Sidney." I said wiping a tear from my eye.
"Its okay beautiful, but please just come to me in the future." Sidney said smiling at me.
"I will. I promise." I said.
"Sidney, I think Kayla needs away from this city." Maxime said getting up off the bed.
"I disagree." Sidney said.
"I don't really care, she's my sister and I'm the one who takes care of her." Maxime said.
"I can take care of her." Sidney said defensively.
"I don't really need anyone to take care of me." I shot back at them. "I am an adult and I can get a job."
"You don't have to, but if you want I'm sure we can find something for you to do on the Penguins staff." Sidney said smiling at me.
"Really?" I asked excitedly.
"Of course, I am the captain you know." He stated.
"How could I forget?" I asked sarcastically. Sidney chucked.
"I don't approve of this." Maxime said.
"Maxime, I'm not a child anymore. I'm 19 years old. Please stop." I said getting frustrated. Sidney had given me a chance to stay where I was happy, where I was finally making a life. I wasn't leaving without a fight.
"Kayla seriously." Maxime said.
"What if I stay here and try it out, if I think I need to come live with you, I will. If things go well here, then I'll stay." I pleaded with Maxime.
"I'll think about it." Maxime said before he walked out of the room. I dropped the subject as the nurse came in to check on me. I was happy Sidney had offered to let me stay with him. I really didn't want to leave him. I was so happy when I was around him and I didn't think I could be any happier. I really wasn't sure why Maxime was so upset, Sidney and I spent almost every night together at his house anyways so now my stuff would just be there with him. This was a really big step, but Sidney seemed okay with it and I really think its going to work out.