Captain Clutch

Chapter 36

When I woke up Sidney was already at the hospital. He was sitting next to my bed holding my hand and watching TV. He looked over at me as I opened my eyes.
"Morning babe." Sidney said.
"Morning." I said. It had been a day since the interview and we had briefly talked about it on the phone, but we didn't get into much detail because it was really something we wanted to be face to face to talk about. I had realized yesterday after talking to Andrew about it that I wasn't mad at Sidney for his response, in fact I was relieved. I knew he loved me more than anything, but neither of us were ready to go public. It meant things would change and we weren't really sure if we were ready for this. I sighed as I moved my bed up to a sitting position.
"We need to talk about the media and whether or not we want to go public with our relationship." Sidney said. I sighed.
"Sidney its up to you. I'm fine either way. I know somewhat what its like to be in the media, my brother is a hockey player too." I said. "But he isn't the face of the NHL and he isn't the golden boy."
Sidney chuckled.
"Kayla, I just don't want people to react badly, to say things about you. I don't want you to get hurt. I love you more than anything and I just want to protect you my beautiful angel." Sidney said. He leaned over and kissed the top of my head. I smiled up at him.
"Baby I love you too, but I promise you, I'm fine. If you want to tell the world about us, lets do it." I said holding his hand in mine.
"Are you sure? Once we go public there is no going back." Sidney said. I thought about this for a couple minutes before finally replying.
"Lets do it." I said. I bit my lip and smiled at Sidney. His face went through an array of motion. First he seemed confused, then he seemed surprised. Finally he smiled at me. I chuckled and shook my head. He took my hand in his and kissed it gently.
"Are you sure?" Sidney said.
"Sure about what?" Maxime said coming into the room. I smiled at him.
"Hey Maxime." I said.
"Hey little sister." Maxime said. "Sid."
"Talbo." Sidney said getting up from his chair and giving Maxime a quick hug. I smiled. My boyfriend and my brother. So sweet.
"So what are we sure about?" Maxime asked sitting on the other side of the bed across from Sidney.
"Going public." I said looking back and forth between Maxime and Sidney.
"Oh." Maxime said. I gave my brother a funny look.
"Its a big step." Maxime continued.
"We're not getting married." Sidney said casually more to him self than us. I looked over at him, trying to study his face. We had never brought up the word marriage before. Sidney looked up at me, he had been looking down at his phone when he made that comment. He looked me in the eye, then blushed.
"He's right Maxime." I said trying to take the tension out of the room.
"Its up to you guys." Maxime said obviously feeling uncomfortable. We were all quiet for a couple minutes. Sidney was looking at his phone and Maxime was flipping through one of the magazines laying beside my bed. I started flipping through stations until I landed on a sports station. They were showing Sidney's highlights. I watched Sidney make some pretty amazing moves. Finally they showed a highlight of a breakaway goal Sidney scored in one of the past couple games. As the puck went into the net I cheered. Sidney looked up at me and blushed.
"You're so cute." I said winking at him. He looked down at the ground and blushed again.
"Sidney Crosby has been busy tending to a possible girlfriend who is in the hospital after a horrible car accident a couple weeks ago." The person on the TV said. I sighed. Sidney looked over at me before looking back at the TV. Maxime was looking up at the TV by now and we all just watched as they continued talking about our alleged relationship and showed a bunch of pictures. Some were us boarding the plane obviously going on the road, others of Sidney coming and going from the hospital.
"Once I get out of this place, we're ending this." I said. "I'm tired of them speculating about our relationship. Lets just get it out in the open.
"Anything you want Kayla." Sidney said kissing my hand. "I love you."
"I love you too." I said. Hopefully I will be out of here in a couple days and we can tell the world about us. I'm sure somethings will be difficult, but I know other things will be easier for us.