Captain Clutch

Chapter 42

I knew Beau was trying to get my attention, but I was just staring at the screen. I still hadn’t opened the email, but I felt like I was in my own world. I was still staring at the screen racking my brain trying to find out what this email could be about. Nerves were running through my entire body and honestly I didn’t know why. I felt Sidney shaking me. I looked up at him confused.
“Kayla, what’s wrong?” He asked looking between Beau, the computer and me.
“Nothing’s wrong. I’m just not sure why the Penguins organization is emailing me.” I said looking confused at the computer again.
“Why don’t you open the email?” Sidney asked gently. I took a deep breath then clicked open on the email. Beau and Sidney were staring at me as I read the email over a couple times.
“What does it say?” Sidney asked.
“They want me to be the head of social media.” I said looking up at Sidney. I never applied for a job. Then I remember Sidney saying something about finding me a job somewhere in the organization so I could stay in Pittsburgh with him. Though I had never got one because I was in and out of the hospital many times. I knew Sidney had something to do with this and I couldn’t figure out if I was happy or upset. They said they want to see me next week to go over my job description and sign the contract if I want the job. I look up at Sidney.
“What?” He asks.
“You did this.” I say not giving much away.
“Did what?” He asks giving me a look like I’m crazy. I turn the laptop around to face him.
“This.” I said. He looks down at the laptop screen. I watch his eyes scan the screen.
“Congratulations.” He said looking up at me and smiling.
“Thank you, but did you do it?” I asked again.
“Yes.” He said simply.
“Do what?” Beau asked looking confused.
“Sidney got me a job with the Penguins.” I said looking over at Beau.
“Wow congratulations.” Beau said pulling me into a hug. I smile at Beau.
“Thanks Sunshine.” I said after he pulls away. Sidney smiles at me.
“You aren’t mad right?” He asked looking a little nervous. I sigh.
“Well I would have liked to do it myself, but no I’m not mad.” I say.
“Good, I’m glad.” Sidney said coming around the island and giving me a hug. Then he leans down and gives me a kiss.
“I wanted to have something to do with my time.” I said smiling up at Sidney.
“Well now you will. Grab your coffee and lets get going.” Sidney says. “We have a drive ahead of us.”
I raised my eyebrow at him wondering where we were going, but I didn’t bother asking. I know he wants to surprise me and even though I hate surprises, I don’t want to ruin his fun. I get off the bar chair and grab my Penguins travel mug from the cupboard above the coffee maker. I quickly make my coffee and pull my bag off the back of my bar chair. I hug Beau goodbye and follow Sidney out of the house to his Range Rover. As were driving I lean over to the little screen on the dashboard and flip through the songs, before finally picking one. I sit back in my seat and Sidney takes my hand. I look over and smile at him.
“Are you happy about the job?” He asked.
“Yes I am. Thank you.” I said.
“I’m not fully sure what the job is, but you spend a lot of time on social media and I know you don’t take the negative comments personally, so I thought you would be great at this job.” Sidney said smiling. He looks so happy. Even though playoffs are coming up and he definitely wants to focus on them, but I know he needs a bit of a break. Luckily we have these couple days off and we can get away and spend some time together. I get comfortable and listen to the music playing as we fly down the highway.

-----------------------

Sidney trails his hand down my face waking me up. I blink a couple times and look around. I stifle a yawn. We’re in front of a small house. I look at Sidney confused. Where the heck are we? I see the front door open and my brother comes out. I look up at Sidney.
“Oh my god. No way.” I said.
“Yes.” He said smiling down at me. I can’t believe we’re at Maxime’s house in Philly. I haven’t seen my brother since he came to Pittsburgh while I was in the hospital. I miss him like crazy, but I don’t really ever tell anyone because I love Sidney and I don’t want him to think that I want to leave and move to Philly with my brother. Which is not what I want to do. I leap out of the car and run up the driveway to where my brother is just coming down the stairs. He holds out his arms and I leap into them. He hugs me tightly and I hug him back. After what feels like forever he lets me down and I smile up at him.
“Hi big brother.” I said.
“Hi little sister.” Maxime said looking down at me. Sidney comes up the driveway and stands beside me. I look up at the door way and there is a petite dark haired girl standing in the door. I turn my head to the side and look questioningly at Maxime. She’s most likely one of his little sluts getting ready to leave, after spending the night. I roll my eyes. She comes down the stairs and Maxime pulls her in close. I don’t say anything just waiting for him to speak. He looks at me smiling.
“Kayla, this is my girlfriend Cynthia, Cynthia this is my little sister Kayla.” He said introducing us. Girlfriend? I can’t help but smile. This is amazing. My brother never has girlfriends he has fuck buddies.
“Nice to meet you.” I said extending my hand to Cynthia. She smiles at me.
“Finally I get to meet you.” She said pulling me in for a hug. I think my face is showing complete shock because Maxime is laughing really hard. Finally she lets me go. I take a step back still in a bit of shock.
“You seem very happy.” I said giggling a bit.
“I am, Maxime has told me a lot about you.” She said putting her arm around my brother who is beaming. My smile quickly turns to a frown.
“Oh really?” I said now full on glaring at my brother who’s smile dissolves quickly.
“I’m sorry.” Maxime said before I even had a chance to say another word.
“Sorry?” I asked. “You didn’t tell me you have a beautiful girlfriend.”
“I was going to.” He said defensively.
“Okay?” I said not really understanding.
“I called the house looking for you a couple days ago and Sidney answered.” Maxime started. I turned to look at Sidney and he held his hands up defensively. “Sidney and I decided that you guys would come down here for a couple days since we both him the time off. That’s why I didn’t tell you. I thought I would tell you when you got here.”
I realized that wasn’t horrible. Though they should have told me.
“Well this means I need to spend a lot of time, over the next three days, with your girlfriend.” I said walking over to where Cynthia was standing. I linked arms with her and looked between both the guys.
“I’m guessing were staying here for the next couple days, so boys bags, while us girls go talk.” I said with a little wave before I lead Cynthia into the house. My brother seems extremely happy. I want to learn everything about this girl he seems to be in love with. We’re going to hopefully get to know each other very well over the next couple days. This is one of the nicest things Sidney has done for me. I’m happy to be with my brother for a couple days.