Captain Clutch

Chapter 48

We walked down the hall at Consol Energy Centre toward the Penguins dressing room, taking the long way of course. Sidney and I were holding hands ahead of the other three guys who were behind us fighting over who was going to teach me what on the ice. I looked behind me and smiled at my three best friends. We walked into the dressing room and into the section where the player’s stuff was already set up for the practice later. Sidney dropped my hand and wandered off toward the equipment office in search of Dana Heinze the Pittsburgh Penguins equipment manager. I sat down in Sidney’s stall and looked around the dressing room. I was excited to get out on the ice and teach these guys a lesson. After a couple minutes of listening to James and Geno fight about who was better at break away shots, Sidney walked back into the dressing room with Dana following him.
“Sid tells me we need to get you some equipment.” Dana said.
“Yes, these sweet boys are going to teach me how to play hockey.” I said innocently.
“Well let’s go.” He said gesturing for me to follow him. I got up and skipped toward where Dana was standing half turned toward the door and half turned toward the dressing room. I gave Sidney a kiss on the cheek before following Dana to the equipment storage room. Once we got inside he started pulling out different pieces of equipment. He had me try everything on. Each piece fit perfectly.
“You’re pretty good at this.” I said as I took each piece off and shoved them into a brand new Penguins hockey bag that Dana had just placed on the ground between us. I pulled it onto my shoulder and walked back to the dressing room. The four guys were in various stages of being dressed. I walked over to where Sidney was sitting half dressed and dropped my bag.
“Get everything you need?” Sidney asked.
“Yeah babe.” I said before leaning down and giving him a quick kiss on the lips. The guys had cleaned out the stall to the right of Sidney and put a piece of tape that said ‘Kayla Talbot’. I smiled at the make shift nametag.
“Very cute guys.” I said
“Anything for you best friend.” Beau said as he put on his left elbow pad. I sat down on the bench and started unpacking my bag. I got my under armor out and put it beside me on the right. Once my bag was unpacked I picked up my under armor off the bench and skipped toward the washroom.
“Where are you going?” James asked raising an eyebrow.
“To change.” I said waving the under armor in his direction.
“Oh.” James said before getting back to putting on his equipment.
“I’m not one of the guys, plus I may or may not have gone commando today.” I said giggling. Sidney shook his head and chuckled because he knew I was joking around, but clearly Beau and James thought I was being serious because they were staring at me with wide eyes. Geno seemed to be ignoring me since he was humming something in Russian. I winked at James and Beau before turning on my heel and going off to the washroom. I went into the stall and changed into my under armor and then went back into the dressing room. The guys were just finishing up, but I noticed James’ eyes followed me as I went back over to where my equipment was. As soon as I looked at James he looked at the ground. I looked over at Sidney and he smiled at me knowingly. I finished putting on my new equipment and put on my skates.
“Do you want help with your skates?” Sidney asked.
“Sure.” I said smiling. Sidney moved off the bench and stood in front of me. He motioned for me to put my foot up. I did as he said and he put my foot between his knees so he could tie my skate. He did the same for the other one. After he was finished he picked up his gloves and his helmet and put them on. I put my helmet on as well.
“Why do I have to have a full cage?” I asked pouting.
“I said so, now stand up.” Sidney said trying not to laugh. I glare at him and try to stand up. I feel myself wobble and Sidney puts his arms out just in time to catch me before I fall on my face. All the guys laugh. I knew I was good at acting, but I didn’t know I was this good. The guys get me to walk around the room a couple times to show them I can be steady on my feet. Once I finally show them I’ve figured out the whole balance thing we go out on the ice. I get on the ice last holding onto the boards where the bench is. I pout at Geno who is almost finished a lap. He skates over and stops in front of me.
“Put stick out and I pull.” Geno said as he held his stick out to show me. He passed his stick to James. I held my stick out like his and Geno took hold as well.
“Keep feet flat.” He said.
“You mean on the ice?” I asked.
“Yes.” He said. I moved my feet so they are parallel to each other and took a deep breath.
“Go.” I said smiling at him. He started skating backward pulling me with him. We moved all the around the ice, Geno was smiling and I couldn’t stop giggling. We did a couple laps before coming to a stop where the other guys were standing watching. Sidney took my hand and pulled me toward him into his arms. I looked up at him.
“I want to kiss you.” I said pouting.
“You have to keep your mask on for protection.” Sidney said.
“Fine.” I said. I was going to teach these boys a lesson and I couldn’t wait.

----------------------

After an hour or so of the guys teaching me to skate and me playing along, they said they wanted to play a little game. I agreed and quickly picked Geno and James to be on my team, leaving Beau and Sidney to be a team. Geno let me face off against Sidney. James dropped the puck for us. After the puck dropped I swiped my stick at it missing completely, letting Sidney get it. I played the entire game as if I had never played hockey before and I continued to skate with a bit of trouble. We played for a little bit. After a bit I noticed some of the team were on the bench watching us. We all stopped playing and went over to the bench to get some water.
“Who’s winning?” Marc asked.
“We’re not really keeping score.” I said sticking my tongue out at Marc.
“Lucky for you.” Beau said. I reached over and smacked Beau’s shoulder.
“Very funny.” I said.
“I thought so.” Beau said skating away backwards.
“Fine. Rematch.” I said.
“Babe, don’t listen to him. He’s being an idiot.” Sidney said.
“No. I want a rematch.” I said trying to stomp my foot, but failing and almost loosing my balance. Luckily Sidney caught my arm.
“Alright.” Sidney said. We skated back to centre ice. This time I skated effortlessly. By the time James was ready to drop the puck I noticed more of the guys on the bench now. I put my stick on the ice and Sidney put his down beside mine. I looked up at him, but he was already staring at me.
“Can I help you?” I asked raising an eyebrow at him.
“Just checking out my sexy girlfriend.” Sidney said winking.
“Oh yeah?” I asked.
“Yeah, Geno’s looking fine.” Sidney said chuckling.
“Cute.” I said as James came to a stop beside us.
“Ready?” He asked.
“Yes.” Sidney and I answered in unison. James dropped the puck and I quickly grabbed it. I skated off toward their net. I moved swiftly and fluidly unlike before. I moved around Beau quickly and entered their zone. Once I got closer to the net I knew what my next move was.
“Top right.” I said loudly. I pulled the puck back then released it. I watched it sail through the air right into the top corner. I heard Geno and James cheer as well as the guys on the bench. I turned to Sidney with a big smile on my face. He looked at me stunned. The next couple of puck drops we traded points before we finally took a big lead. Geno, James and I were ahead by four points and I had just scored another break away. Beau got the puck and passed it to Sidney. He skated toward me and I stuck my stick out and tipped the puck off his stick. The puck moved across the ice back toward their net. I heard Sidney groan behind me. I passed the puck over to Geno. He skated up the right side. I came up the middle just a couple strides behind Geno. Once he crossed the line I followed and set myself up in front of the net. Geno passed back to me and I tapped the puck in. the guys on the bench cheered again. I pulled the puck out of the net and left it there for Beau before skating back toward the blue line. Once I got there I turned back toward Beau and let myself glide a little before coming to a complete stop. Sidney stood next to Beau and they whispered between each other while staring at me.
“Let’s go losers.” I said. Beau stuck out his tongue at me. Sidney skated toward where I was standing waiting and Beau followed behind with the puck. I moved around Sidney and skated toward Beau. Before I could get more than three steps ahead of where I was Sidney had me around the waist. I squealed as he pulled me closer to him.
“Don’t.” I screamed as Beau skated by me. Sidney and I fell to the ice and I watched as Beau got around both Geno and James before scoring. I glared at Sidney. I heard booing coming from the bench.
“That was so unfair.” I said pushing Sidney off me and standing up.
“Kayla.” Sidney said getting up too. I skated away not bothering to answer Sidney who was still trying to get my attention. I stopped at the bench door and opened it stepping onto the bench and slamming the door behind me.
“Over?” Geno asked coming to a stop in front of where I was now sitting on the bench.
“I think it’s almost time for practice, isn’t it?” I asked glancing up at the clock abover centre ice. The time read twelve twenty nine pm. “Plus I should get showered and off to my office, I do have a job now you know.”
I got off the bench and started down the hallway. Marc caught up to me.
“You’re pretty good.” He said.
“Thank you.” I said smiling.
“You should replace Sid.” Marc said.
“I really should.” I said. “I don’t tackle people on the ice.”
“Are you mad at him?” Marc asked.
“Nah, I’m more pissed off at Beau, he probably came up with the plan.” I said smiling.
“Good point.” Marc said.
As we walked back into the dressing room a couple of the guys were sitting around getting ready for practice.
“Kayla, you’re pretty good.” Tanner Glass said from across the room.
“Thanks.” I said smiling toward Tanner and the guys sitting on either side of him. I sat down at my stall next to Sid as the four guys came into the room and sat down at their assigned stalls.
“Kayla, where did you learn to play like that?” Chris Kuniz asked from the other side of Sidney.
“Yeah I didn’t know you were that good.” James said. I shook my head.
“What my dumbass friends and boyfriend failed to realize was, I grew up with three older brothers, all of which played hockey. One of them even does it professionally. You guys may remember him, Maxime Talbot.” I said rolling my eyes.
“Oh shit. I totally forgot about that.” Beau said laughing.
“Clearly.” I said taking off my helmet. Marc brought me a water bottle. I quickly opened it and took a big gulp.
“Thirsty?” Sidney asked.
“Yeah.” I said smiling at Sidney.
“I love you babe.” Sidney said leaning over and kissing me.
“I love you too.” I said biting my lip. Sidney glared at me.
“What?” I asked looking alarmed.
“Please don’t bite your lip.” Sidney said firmly.
“Why?” I asked confused.
“Because, I have practice soon and you’re so beautiful.” He said pushing a piece of my hair behind my ear and winking at me. I giggled and shook my head. I started taking off my equipment and stuffing it in my bag. I noticed Sidney staring at me the whole time.
“Like what you see?” I asked standing in front of him in just my under armor.
“Yes I do actually.” Sidney said. “I can’t wait to get you home after practice.”
“Oh is that right?” I asked.
“Very much so.” Sidney said. I looked at the clock and it was almost time for practice. Most of the guys had already gone out to the ice. Sidney stood up. He stood much taller than me since he was in his skates and I was barefoot.
“Are you staying down here to watch practice?” Sidney asked.
“Yeah, I’m just going to get a shower first, then I’ll be out to watch.” I said. Sidney kissed me lingering for an extra second.
“Have a good practice babe, I love you.” I said.
“Thanks.” Sidney said before he left. I grabbed my clothes and went into the ice girl’s dressing room and went to the shower. I was so happy. I had such a great time playing hockey with my boys. Brandon was nowhere on my mind and hopefully he wouldn’t come back any time soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here you are! Long awaited I know!
My motivation has been so lacking lately I'm so sorry everyone!!
But I've given myself till the end of August to wrap up the last few chapters of this story!
Hopefully I got my motivation back!!!!

Enjoy xoxo