Captain Clutch

Chapter 53

The first thing I did when we got back to James’ house was, take a scolding hot shower. I stood in the shower letting the water, fall around me for what felt like hours. After I finally finished I got out and put on fresh clothes. I went over to my phone and scrolled through the contacts. I found the one I was looking for and hit call. It rang a couple times until I heard a voice.
“I thought I’d never hear from you again.” A deep seductive male voice said.
“I thought I’d never call you again, but here we are.” I said rolling my eyes.
“Don’t roll your eyes, it’s not pretty.” The male said.
“How do you always know?” I asked.
“I’ve known you for a long time, you have tells.” He said.
“I’ve changed.” I said bitterly.
“Some things never change.” He said. “So what’s up?”
“Are you in the city?” I asked.
“Possibly.” He said.
“Brandon, stop it.” I said. “Can we meet up?”
“Ah, you want to see me.” Brandon said.
“Don’t flatter yourself. I just need your help.” I said.
“Aren’t you happy with Mr. hockey?” Brandon asked.
“None of your business.” I said.
“Well, where are you?” Brandon asked.
“Collier.” I said.
“I moved close to there, I’ll text you the address.” Brandon said. “See you soon.”
“Okay.” I said before hanging up. I took a deep breath before getting my purse off the chair near the door and heading down the hall to the front door. I slipped on my shoes and opened the front door.
“Where are you going?” James asked coming out of the living room.
“Just going to run to the store.” I said faking a smile.
“Want some company?” James asked.
“No, I need to clear my mind.” I said.
“Oh, alright.” James said scratching his arm. “Are you sure?”
“Yeah.” I said. I quickly went out the door and out to my car. I checked the text message with Brandon’s new address and typed it into my GPS. I followed the directions until I got to a little house just outside of downtown Pittsburgh. I pulled into the driveway and parked my car. I took a deep breath before I got out of the car. By the time I got around the car to the front door I saw Brandon walking down the front two steps.
“Wow, is it just me or do you get prettier by the minute?” He said smugly. I rolled my eyes.
“Very funny.” I said.
“No seriously, you are gorgeous.” Brandon said as I came to a stop in front of him.
“If you say so.” I said shaking my head.
“No hug?” He asked. After a couple seconds he pulled me into a hug. I patted him on the back three times.
“Are you going to invite me in or not?” I asked looking toward the house.
“Yeah, come in.” He said pulling away from me. I followed him into the house. I slipped my shoes off in the front hall. I follow him down the hall into a room.
“Your bedroom I’m guessing?” I said.
“Yes ma’am.” Brandon said. I walked around the room looking at different things. Then I noticed a picture on the dresser. I picked it up and studied it.
“I thought you didn’t have this picture anymore.” I said turning toward Brandon raising my eyebrow.
“Yeah, I lied.” He said shrugging. “So why did you call me?”
“You know why.” I said. My phone rang scaring both of us. I got my phone out of my pocket. I looked at the picture of Sidney and me before quickly hitting the ignore button.
“Avoiding someone?” Brandon asked pulling a box out from under his bed.
“No, just not in the mood to talk.” I said smiling. I put the picture back down on the dresser before turning off my phone. I put my phone down on the dresser and walked over to the bed. I sat down and crossed my legs.
“How much do you want?” Brandon asked looking at me over the box lid.
“A couple…boxes.” I said.
“That bad eh?” He said pulling out a brand new box of Fentanyl Patches.
“I’ll take one.” I said taking a deep breath.
“Been awhile?” He asked.
“Since I was in the car accident.” I said. “Two months ago.”
“Are you sure you want to do this?” He asked holding the patch out in front of him.
“Yeah, why not.” I said taking it out of his hand. I grabbed his supplies off the side table. I ripped open the package and cut a small piece off. I lit it up and inhaled the smoke. I held it in for a couple minutes. When I exhaled I laid back against the pillows.
“How do you feel?” He asked moving up beside me from the floor and taking a hit.
“Good.” I said. “Really good.”
“I’m glad.” He said.
“How much do I owe you?” I asked setting up another hit.
“On the house.” He said.
“No I insist. I have a job, and I make good money.” I said reaching for my wallet.
“Kayla, I don’t need your money. I make enough as it is.” He said.
“B, stop. You don’t have to support me anymore.” I said.
“I’m not, I’m just giving a gift to an old friend.” Brandon said.
“I’m not going to win this am I?” I asked.
“No, so don’t bother trying.” He said. I took another hit feeling myself climb higher and higher. I missed this feeling, but I didn’t want to over do it. I tucked away my patch for later and stretched out on Brandon’s bed. He looked at me, like he was studying my eyes and face.
“Can I help you with something?” I said.
“Just wondering what’s going on in your life that would make you, call me.” He said.
“Nothing.” I said closing my eyes and crossing my arms over my chest. I didn’t want to talk to him about this. It wasn’t any of his business and he would just try to manipulate me into thinking things I wasn’t sure of yet.
“I know something’s wrong.” He said. “Trouble in paradise?”
I sighed. Then I opened one eye and looked at him.
“Does it matter?” I asked.
“I just want to know if I’m going to get beat up sometime soon because I’m with you.” Brandon said.
“Would that keep you away from me?” I asked sitting up and looking at him now.
“No, you’re worth a little beating.” He said winking at me. I rolled my eyes.
“You’re not going to get beat up. I promise.” I said.
“Are you sure?” He asked. He took my hand in his. “I miss you.”
“I miss you too, but Brandon I love Sidney.” I said.
“Then why are you here?” He asked dropping my hand.
“You can’t be happy that I’m here and just drop it?” I asked.
“No, because I know something is bothering you and I don’t want you to be upset.” He said. I didn’t answer him right away.
“His ex showed up at our house the other day, pregnant.” I said. He didn’t say a word he just let me continue talking. “She says it’s his baby, and I know they were together around the time she got pregnant.”
“What did he say about it?” Brandon said.
“He says it’s not his, and that they saw each other, but he never slept with her.” I said.
“Do you believe him?” He asked.
“I don’t know. He never even told me that he saw her until now and she is seriously pregnant. The time line fits.” I said.
“You need to talk to him.” He said.
“I can’t.” I said. “Not yet.”
“Why?” He asked.
“I just lost a baby. Again.” I said. “I don’t want to find out it’s his baby and then what? I’m supposed to help him raise someone else’s child?”
“You lost another baby?” He asked taking my hand again.
“Yeah, in the car accident. It wasn’t my fault. Not like the first time.” I said feeling the tears well up in my eyes.
“Kayla, you think that was your fault?” Brandon asked moving next to me.
“It was.” I said. “I lost the baby because I was stupid and careless.”
“That’s a lie and you know it.” Brandon said. “You lost the baby because we were, extremely messed up. We didn’t even know you were pregnant until it was to late.”
“That’s my fault.” I said. Now I was full on crying. Tears were pouring down my face. Brandon pulled me close to him.
“Don’t cry.” He said rubbing my back. I buried my face into his chest. We stayed like that for a couple minutes. After another toke and a little more crying we decided to watch a movie. I was cuddled up on the bed and Brandon was sitting at the foot of the bed. I saw maybe fifteen minutes before I felt myself drift off to a peaceful sleep. I felt Brandon put a blanket over me, but I was so exhausted that I didn’t stir when he did. I felt better about the baby situation, but I knew there were still many questions to be answered and I knew sooner or later I would have to talk to Sidney about it.