Captain Clutch

Chapter 54

All I can remember about the rest of the day was waking up from a short nap still feeling high, doing a couple more hits, throwing up a couple times and going back to bed with a half melted purple jumbo freezie. I slept for what felt like two full days and when I woke up I was feeling clear minded. I looked at the clock on the bedside table it was one in the afternoon. I glanced over at the couch on the far side of the room. Brandon was curled up under a blanket and he looked really peaceful. I got out of bed and snuck across the room. I got my phone off the dresser and snuck out of the room. I knew James would be pissed at me already for not coming home last night. I went down the hall to the kitchen and slipped out the back door onto the porch. I turned my phone on and let it load while I looked out at the view. It was a pretty nice view. After a couple seconds my phone went crazy. It looked like it was going to explode. I had fifty voicemails and over a hundred text messages. I knew I was in shit. I ignored the fact that more than half were from Sidney, and went straight to James’ conversation. His most recent texts were in all capitals. He was extremely pissed. I quickly called him. He answered before the phone even rang on my side.
“Kayla, holy shit where are you?” James said.
“I’m fine, don’t worry.” I said.
“That’s great, but where the hell are you?” He asked seeming pissed off. I rolled my eyes. I knew I should have taken a hit before this phone call.
“I’m at a friends. I fell asleep, that’s why I didn’t call.” I said.
“I was about to call the cops.” James said. “Half the team is worried sick.”
“You called half the team?” I asked.
“Yeah the half that’s in town.” James said.
“That’s crazy.” I said.
“How is that crazy?” James said.
“Because you don’t need to call the team when I don’t answer my phone for a couple house.” I said. “Last time I checked I’m an adult and I can take care of myself.”
“You have to be kidding me.” James said. “You tell me that you are going out for a bit and then you turn your phone off.”
“Regardless, I’m alive and I don’t need you to worry about me.” I said.
“Where are you?” James asked.
“Doesn’t matter.” I said. “I’ll be back in a little bit.”
“Sidney will be here.” James said. I signed before hanging up the phone and turning it off again. I wasn’t in the mood to answer any more questions. I went back inside and back to Brandon’s room. He wasn’t on the couch anymore.
“B, where did you go?” I asked rather loudly.
“Bathroom.” I heard him yell back. I sat down on the bed and set up a hit. By the time I was finished Brandon came out of the washroom.
“I’d ask if you were starting early, but I started before you.” He said. I laughed.
“You okay?” He asked sitting on the end of the bed.
“Yeah, just got into a fight with one of my friends.” I said.
“If you need to stay here for a couple days, you’re welcome to.” Brandon said.
“Thanks B.” I said. “Can I get a couple more patches off you?”
“A couple?” He asked.
“Yeah, I’m not going to be allowed out of someone’s sight unless it’s to the washroom for awhile I’m sure.” I said.
“Yeah sure.” He said. I got my wallet out.
“You’re not paying me.” He said.
“Yes I am. At least a little bit please.” I said.
“Fine, I’ll give you four hundreds for a hundred.” He said moving from the foot of the bed to the far side of the bed. He pulled the box out from the side of the bed.
“I don’t want to fight with Sidney anymore.” I said looking down at my hands.
“Then don’t.” Brandon said.
“I’m scared.” I said.
“Scared of what?” He said handing me the four patches. I tucked them away in my purse before setting up another hit. I didn’t say another word until I finished my hit.
“That it’s going to be his baby.” I said.
“The only way you will know for sure is if you get a DNA test and you have to trust him.” Brandon said.
“Since when are you sticking up for Mr. Hockey?” I asked.
“Since now.” He said.
“I don’t understand.” I said.
“I can tell you love him.” He said. “Almost as much as I love you.”
“What?” I asked looking at him confused.
“I love you more than anyone in the entire world, and that will never change.” He said. “But you had that look in your eye the last time I saw you with him. The same look you used to have with me.”
“Brandon…” I said.
“Stop. Go and talk to him. I’m sure he is the man you think he is.” Brandon said.
“Why do you say that?” I asked.
“He isn’t me. He isn’t going to hurt you like I did.” He said.
“And if he does.” I said.
“Then I’ll kick his ass.” Brandon said. I smiled.
“Thank you.” I said.
“Anything for you, anytime.” He said. I got off the bed and gave him a hug.
“I should go. I need to talk to Sidney.” I said after pulling away from Brandon.
“Like I said before, if you need a place to stay, you are welcome to stay here.” He said.
“Thanks again.” I said. I grabbed my bag off the ground and walked toward the door. I let myself out and got in my car. I drove back toward James’. I was a block away when I stopped on the side of the road. I set up another hit and quickly did it. I stashed all my stuff in my wallet, except for the four untouched patches. I hid them in my car. A place Brandon showed me years ago that I knew nobody would look in. I pulled up to James’ house and the driveway was over flowing. I picked Sidney’s car out first. I knew this wasn’t going to be fun, but I knew that we needed to talk and sort things out. I was feeling good after talking to Brandon and I knew I had to tell Sidney about seeing him. I didn’t want to cause another fight I just wanted to be truthful with the man I loved. I took a deep breath before going to face the wrath I knew awaited me on the other side of the door.