Status: You are all beautiful. Thank you for the comments.

You

10th May 2002

Collecting dust under the bed are mementos. All the ticket stubs, flyers and photographs from our years together are shoved so far back that I needed to get down on my front to reach it. The box slid out, clouds of dust arising to defend it, to protect its dormancy. I waved them away and cracked it open.
Your face, grinning, stared up at me.

I slammed the lid back down.

I couldn’t do it.

I had to take deep breaths; this was like digging up a grave. I put you in a box and buried you and now I’m digging you up. My head knows this is about closure but my heart mistakes it for hope. I looked at pictures of you with your long dark hair and bright pink lip gloss. I smiled fondly at photos of you smoking, drinking and dancing at the Roof Garden.

Then I found the picture of us kissing.

Your arms were encircled around my waist, my hands wound in your hair holding you still so that I could press my lips to yours. You tasted of fruity lip balm. I don’t know who took that photo but I’m glad they did.

Then I find the other photo.

Heart pounding I couldn’t shove the box back under the bed fast enough. When I went to bed later that night I could hear your apologies echo in my ears.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well I've been afraid of changing 'cause I built my life around you