This Year

Film theory

The most frustrating part about having no classes on a Thursday is that you get a taste of what the weekend feels like and then it is brutally ripped away from you for four hours of the most boring class you can possibly imagine: Film Theory 1.

Camille often blessed herself for managing to pass all of her courses during her first year of Film studies at King’s College, after all it gave her the time and the opportunity to now hold an internship while getting through her second year, but also cursed her with the loss of friends during most classes – those who chose beer over books and now get to repeat the same books again.

Camille sighed deeply as she settled in the back row of the theatre (yes, leave it to the ‘arts students’ to get taught in a movie theatre room). She pulls out her laptop and her Greek yoghurt. “Hey.” Camille looks to her right to see Alex, one of her only friends in school that made it through the first year without failing.

“Hey, how was new year’s?” Camille asks, opening up her Facebook. A jolt of excitement is sent through Camille’s body when the number 1 appears in the left corner of her screen, alerting her that she has a friend request. Camille quickly looks to her right. Alex is babbling on about whatever he did at New Year’s eve too busy unpacking to notice whatever Camille’s doing on her laptop. But just to be sure Camille darkens her screen before clicking to see if the notification actually is from Zayn as she’s been expecting since the shoot.

A nervous feeling causes her stomach to turn in the most pleasant way as her cheeks start to colour red from the smile Camille is holding back when she sees Zayn Malik appear on the screen. Next to his name is a black and white photo of him with two blondes by his side, one of which Camille recognizes to be Niall.

“What are you blushing about?” Alex asks snapping Camille out of her focus and causing her to throw Alex a small grin with a confused look spread across her face. “Anyway…” Alex laughs at Camille’s shocked expression. “I’m ready to kick some ass in classes! I even left my laptop behind and decided to go for old school paper and pen this time around.”

Camille’s professor walks in dramatically shushing the class, causing a giggle to escape from some of the people in the classroom including Alex. Camille quickly opens up Word on her laptop, getting ready to take some notes in class – and making a mental note to herself to not forget to accept Zayn after class. “Today’s Friday… the first Friday of the year… How about we cut the class in half today?” Professor Lockhart asks, earning a ‘whoo’ from a couple of students in the room. “Well then, glad that’s been settled.” He chuckles before connecting his laptop to the beamer.

Just as Lockhart had promised his students he cut the class in half, letting them go two hours in. With a satisfied smile playing on Camille’s lips she walks towards the park with Alex babbling away by her side. “I’m sorry… I haven’t really caught anything of what you just said… my mind’s a bit all over the place.” Camille apologises when she realises that Alex is waiting on a response from her.

“That’s alright… I just asked if you wanna go out tonight?” Alex laughs, grabbing a bottle of water out of her bag. “Or tomorrow night… maybe tomorrow’s better then I can relax a bit tonight. Tomorrow? Girl night? Burgers and a couple of drinks after? I’ll ask the others then.” Camille nods with a smile, reaching for her iPod and pack of cigarettes in her bag.

“Sounds good to me, A. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?” Camille asks her friend before the two part ways. She then quickly pushes her earbuds into her ears and puts Elliott Smith on full volume. Once her iPod is tucked away safely into the pocket of her coat, Camille opens up her pack of cigarettes pulling both her lighter and a fag out.

°°°


“Addi?” Camille calls out to make sure she’s alone in the apartment since Adriana talked about possibly skipping class today. It’s two in the afternoon and Adriana isn’t supposed to be back until six. Camille usually cooks for them on Fridays for that reason.

Camille quickly pulls out her laptop before settling down on the couch, her laptop in her lap and the TV slowly turning on. “Come on… faster…” Camille mumbles as the screen loads. Adriana and Camille bought themselves a rather expensive “Smart TV” for Christmas, which turned out to be a rather slow TV but the quality and size is too amazing for either one of them to complain about the fifteen seconds it takes to start up.

A sigh falls from Camille’s lips when she realises another Geordie Shore re-run is currently airing on MTV. “What a surprise.” She mumbles to herself before laying her focus on her laptop screen, she quickly types in Facebook on her browser.

A smile appears on Camille’s lips when she clicks to accept Zayn on her Facebook. She then decides to be true to her impulsive, do-before-you-think personality and clicks to send him a message.

Hey! I ended up regretting not joining you boys! She presses enter then laughs to herself when she notices the green circle next to his name. Camille puts her laptop down on the couch next to her before getting up to grab a bottle of Mountain Dew.

Camille takes a quick sip from the bottle as she settles back down on the couch. She then looks to her side to see a response from Zayn already. Hey. Oh really? How come?

Just when Camille grabs her laptop to type a response she notices that Zayn is still typing. Camille waits patiently until his response pops up on the screen. You’re welcome to join us some other time, okay?

A laugh falls from Camille lips. Couldn’t get any sleep, whatsoever! Was up till three :( I’ll be sure to never deny your request again… I’ll join you whenever you’ll have me (and I have time, haha!)

Are you a busy woman then? I have to go already, sorry we couldn’t talk longer! Talk soon though! X
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow! Thank you all so much for the amazing responses I got... wow, just wow! I'm so happy to see that people like what I write and it just makes writing that more fun!

I'm really busy now... so I won't be giving any shout outs, but expect some in the next chapter, okay? Sorry for not doing it now! Exams are over and I'm still busy!
Also, check out Torn Apart an amazing Zayn story written by Lauren!
Thanks for the comments, recommendations and subscriptions! Keep the love coming and I'll keep giving back! I'll give back nonetheless though haha!