Sequel: Changing Sides
Status: Finished

Behind Enemy Lines

Apologies

I really wish Isaac and Boyd had told me why they needed me to come with them to Derek's before we got there. Maybe we wouldn't be in this situation if they had clued me in.

The trap was useless now. Kali was threatening to kill some woman, who I assumed was Derek's girlfriend, because he killed her friend. Neither Isaac nor Boyd would fight, and I didn't have any of my hunting stuff because nobody told me I would need it.

I really, really need to stop trusting so easily.

My thoughts were interrupted by large flashes of electricity.

Okay, so maybe I was wrong. The trap worked.

Kind of.

I've tried my best to forget what happened next. These twin alphas ran over to Derek...and they forced him...to kill Boyd.

□☾□

"WHY THE HELL DID EITHER OF YOU TRUST HIM?" I yelled at Isaac through angry tears. "HE KILLED BOYD. HE'S A MONSTER. AND YOU TRUSTED HIM. BOYD DIED BECAUSE YOU WERE TRYING TO SAVE DEREK."

"HANNAH, THEY FORCED HIM TO DO IT. DO YOU THINK DEREK WANTED TO KILL BOYD?" Isaac yelled back at me. "BOYD WAS PART OF DEREK'S PACK. DEREK WAS THE ONE WHO GAVE BOYD THE BITE. DO YOU REALLY THINK DEREK WOULD KILL A MEMBER OF HIS OWN PACK , ESPECIALLY AFTER HE LET YOU LIVE EVEN WHEN HE KNEW WHAT YOU WERE?"

"HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT WASN'T THE PLAN? BUILD UP A PACK AND THEN KILL EVERYONE. YOU WEREN'T THERE WHEN DEREK WAS ATTACKED BY THE ALPHAS. THE ONE EXPLAINED HOW KILLING YOUR PACK MADE AN ALPHA STRONGER. HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT DEREK WASN'T PLANNING TO DO JUST THAT?"

Isaac stared at me, a look of betrayal on his face. It wasn't directed at me. "I-is that true?"

"Yes. It happened the day he kicked us out. I didn't want to tell you because you were so bothered by everything else."

"I can't believe him. Hannah, I'm sorry."

"Could you just leave me alone right now?"

□☾□

I looked up from what I was doing when I heard a knock at the door of the guest room.

"What?" I called out to whoever was on the other side.

"I've got food." Isaac called back.

"I don't want it."

"Then I won't bring it in." He said, followed by some shuffling. I sighed in relief only to hear the door open a moment later.

"I thought you weren't bringing the food in?" I asked.

"I didn't." He smirked, showing me his hands were empty.

"Do you understand what it's like to be taught someone was bad, only to be convinced by that person that what you were wrong, and then have to watch as they prove that what you were taught in the first place was right?"

"No, no I don't know what it's like to watch a werewolf kill someone after being convinced that what I was told about them being killers was wrong." He said, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"It's hard." I kept my focus on my hands in my lap.

"I figured."

"My parents would kill me if they ever found out about any of this."

"Good thing they never will."

"But what if th-"

"Hannah, I get that it's hard to let go of your parents' ideas of right and wrong. But you just gotta do it."

"You just said you didn't get it." I looked up at him.

"I said I didn't know what it was like to watch someone prove what your parents said was right even when you thought they were wrong. Doesn't mean I still live by my parents' rules." He scooted closer to me on the bed. "I've just never had anyone show me my parents were right. Probably because they weren't."

"What makes you say that? Not that I think you're wrong or anything..."

"My dad started abusing me after my brother died."

"And your mom?"

"Died long before all of this."

"I'm sorry, Isaac."

"We sure seem to be apologizing a lot today."

"I have something else to apologize for." Isaac said.

And, in typical movie fashion, he leaned over and kissed me before I could say anything else. And I enjoyed it.
♠ ♠ ♠
YO I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO PUT AFTER THIS SO ENJOY THE ROMANTIC CLIFFHANGER.

-Amy