Status: Completed: 22nd September 2014.

Ignite

Out of the blue.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK!”

Jack flinched at the loud cheers and yells, eyes wide as he looked around his office. Holy shit. Zack had asked him to run down to the coffee shop on the corner for the Caramel Macchiatos he liked 20 minutes ago, and the office sure as hell didn’t have a birthday banner or confetti streamers in when he left. Damn it Alex.

“Uh, thanks?” Jack said, shocked.

“You didn’t think I wouldn’t know it’s your birthday today, did you?” Alex snickered, earning laughter from both teams.

Alex read your file,” John mouthed, winking.

Ah, that makes sense now.

Today really was Jack’s birthday, June 18th. He couldn’t believe how quickly time had gone recently, especially now he’d been going over to Alex’s apartment once a week for dinner, especially since Jaime had been there every time. Nothing had happened between them, just flirty texting back and forth, but it was nice all the same.

“Zack’s waiting for his coffee, so we’ll do cake later,” Alex told him.

“Don’t forget about tonight either,” Danny Kurily grinned, earning a high five from Jenna.

“Tonight?” Jack frowned.

Alex just ushered him away towards Zack’s office. Something told him he wasn’t going to enjoy this. Damn it Alex. Forcing his frown away, Jack knocked on Zack’s door before entering, smiling properly as soon as he saw Zack smiling at him.

“Happy birthday Jack,” Zack said warmly.

“Did you send me out to coffee just so Alex could put up the birthday decorations?” Jack asked curiously.

“That obvious, huh?” Zack chuckled.

At least Jack wasn’t the only one that Alex persuaded to do things.

“Oh, I have something for you,” Zack said suddenly, opening his drawer.

W-What? Like, a present?

Zack handed over an envelope, which Jack eagerly tore open, earning laughter. But when Jack opened the birthday card, his jaw dropped slightly. Two tickets to a baseball game playing this Saturday, and with really good seats by the looks of things. Jack couldn’t remember the last time he went to a baseball game. This was amazing!

“W-Wow, this is great, thank you!” Jack said happily.

“I wasn’t sure if you’d like it,” Zack admitted, “I know you said you’re a Ravens fan so I knew you liked sports, but I wasn’t sure if you’d like baseball too,”

Zack remembered that about him? From just a passing conversation?

“I love it, thank you,” Jack said, smiling, “if you weren’t my boss I’d hug you right now,”

Oh God. Oh God just shoot him now. Why did he have to say that?!

But Zack just blushed and smiled back. Oh, okay. So he wasn’t opposed to a hug? Maybe next time, when Jack didn’t feel like an idiot.

“Well I’m glad you like it. I’m not sure if you’ll like what Alex has planned for tonight but I’m glad you like this,” Zack mused.

“Damn it Alex!” Jack groaned.

Zack just laughed as Jack left his office.

*

A strip club. A strip club had been Alex’s idea for Jack’s birthday. Hell no. There was no way Jack was going to a strip club, and he’d been adamant about it until Alex had given in. So they were just going to a bar instead – much more suitable.

“Just because you didn’t get a birthday fuck from Zack doesn’t mean you couldn’t have gotten a lap dance,” Alex muttered, sitting down next to Jack at the table they’d reserved.

Jack just blushed heavily, glancing around to check no-one else had heard. Both the campaign teams were out tonight to celebrate Jack’s birthday, including Zack and Rian – so Jack really hoped no-one had been listening to their conversation. They’d been in this bar for a couple of hours now, scattered across a couple of tables, just chilling out. It had been really nice so far. Really nice. Hopefully Alex wouldn’t ruin that.

“I thought you wanted me to be with Jaime?” Jack murmured.

“Well, that would be nice for you, but you still need to get laid Jack,” Alex frowned.

“You’re an ass,” Jack retorted.

Alex just grinned. “Never said I wasn’t,”

Jack drained the last of his beer, rolling his eyes. He liked how quickly he and Alex were becoming friends, he really did, but the man had no barriers.

Then Alex looked over his shoulder, and smiled. Well this couldn’t be good.

“I have one last surprise for you,” Alex said innocently.

“No strippers,” Jack warned.

“No strippers,” Alex replied, shaking his head, “although he’ll probably strip if you ask,”

What?

Jack frowned, turning his head to look, but his jaw dropped when he saw Jaime walking into the bar. What the fuck?! Alex waved over to him, and Jaime smiled, before Vic, Tony and Mike walked into the bar too. Well at least Jaime wasn’t on his own. That would’ve been weird.

“Hey, Jack. Happy birthday,” Jaime said, smiling his pearly perfect smile at him.

Jack just smiled back. This man was infectious.

“Can I buy you a drink?” Jaime asked.

“Uh, sure,” Jack said, nodding.

He got up out of his seat, walking over to the bar with Jaime, ignoring the looks his colleagues sent him. He didn’t want gossip, hell no. But he had not doubt Alex had already told the teams about Jaime.

“I hope you don’t mind that Alex invited us. He wanted it to be a surprise,” Jaime said.

“I don’t mind at all. It’s nice to see you again,” Jack said honestly.

Really, it was.

“Did you know this was meant to be in a strip club?” Jaime mused.

“Yes, he told me,” Jack grumbled.

Jaime just laughed. “Not a fan then?”

“Not even slightly,” Jack replied, shaking his head.

He’d never been a fan of strip clubs – nothing about the idea of going to one remotely excited him. It wasn’t that big a deal, right?

They talked a little bit more, just about how their days had gone, before Jaime started to look nervous. What was wrong? Had he done something?

“Are you okay?”

“Just overthinking things,” Jaime said hesitantly.

Uh huh.

“You can tell me if you want?” Jack offered.

“I’d rather just show you,” Jaime murmured.

What?

But before Jack could ask what he meant, Jaime had leant forward and pressed a soft kiss to his lips, hand cupping Jack’s face. Wow. Oh wow. Jack didn’t hesitate to kiss back, the kiss staying slow and sweet, before Jaime pulled away with a smile on his lips. It was only then that Jack realised that everyone was cheering and clapping.

“Oh my God,” Jack groaned, blushing heavily.

Jaime blushed too, but laughed, dropping his hand from Jack’s face.

“I’m sorry for doing that out of the blue and in front of your colleagues, but I couldn’t help myself,” Jaime apologised.

In front of his colleagues. In front of Zack. Oh fuck, Zack just saw him being kissed! How embarrassing!!

Then he realised what Jaime had said.

“What do you mean, you couldn’t help yourself?” Jack asked.

Jaime smiled nervously. “I really like you Jack. And I know we don’t know each other very well but I really want to change that,”

“Really?” Jack said, surprised slightly.

He wasn’t exactly anything special. But apparently Jaime didn’t care about that?

“Really,” Jaime nodded, “So, um, would you like to go out to dinner with me?”

“Like a date?” Jack blurted.

“Very much a date,” Jaime chuckled.

Jack blushed but nodded. Wow. A cute guy who genuinely seemed interested in him wanted to take him out to dinner. Wanted to take him out on a date. Why shouldn’t he take a chance on something that might actually turn out well?

“Great, I’ll text you details when I have a plan. And you look like you need that drink now,” Jaime mused.

As Jaime ordered them both a beer, Jack glanced over his shoulder to see Zack staring at him. Why was Zack staring at him? Was he displeased that Jack had been kissing a guy in public? Fuck, what if there was some sort of moral code the office had to abide by?

Wait, Alex worked there. Of course there wasn’t a moral code.

So Jack offered his boss a smile, and Zack smiled weakly back. What the fuck?
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy birthday Jack indeed!
But what was with that look Zack gave him, hmm?
Interesting...
^_^
Zack's POV in the next chapter!

If you have a quick moment, I posted a short Alex Gaskarth/John O'Callaghan one-shot yesterday. Just a silly thing really, but check it out if you haven't already!

Thank you to everyone who read the last chapter and to the following for commenting! Such mixed reviews on Martin and Jaime haha.

fiction246
xMareBear14x
f0reverbr0ken
BittersweetRevenge
Bludgeoned.Brittany
Tattoo
Forever Young.

xo