It Was A Lie When They Smiled And Said You Won't Feel A Thing

Chapter 10: I Will Be With You

I woke up on my bed. I don't remember falling asleep on my bed but I figured Frank must have put me here. I woke up with Frank by my side, waiting for me to wake up. I thought for a second 'he must love me a lot because every time I wake up he's lying here next to me'. He looked at me and smiled. I smiled back, in a fake way. "Still mad?" he asked. "Yea" I wasn't as mad as last night though. I knew that with him beside me, I couldn't be too mad.
My phone rang. I made sure it wasn't my mom. It wasn't. "Hello?" "Hey Kristen..." I knew that voice anywhere, it was James, Lindsey's brother. "James, how did you get my number?" "Never mind that. Do you know where Lindsey is?" "No I haven't seen her since 8:30pm last night. We thought she headed back home. Why.....whats wrong James?" "We can't find her. She left a note, on her bed. All it said was, goodbye. We looked everywhere and cant find her." "Oh my God, no I haven't seen her, but me and Frankie will help you look." "Great! We need all the help we can get.....we really love her. um give me a call if you find her, ok?" "Yea bye" "Bye"
I hung up the phone. "Whats up" said Frank. I explained the whole story to him. "Oh my God we have to find her." "Yea.....do you mind if we miss a day of school?" "No. I think the principal with understand" "Yea"

We climbed down the side of the house. We couldn't go down the stairs because my mom was waiting for me there. We made it out of the house, and started looking around. Corey texted me and let me know where the rest of the group was looking. I stopped in the middle of the street. thought for a second. I kept mumbling under my breath. Finally I said "Lindsey told me that if she ever would commit suicide, she would jump off of the Brooklyn Bridge. She said it would the closest thing to flying.....the one thing she was afraid of." we ran as fast as we could to Frank's house. When we got there we borrowed Lisa's motorcycle. We told Lisa that it was an emergency.
Frank knew how to drive the bike. I got behind him and hugged him. "Hold on tight" he said as he sped off.
We weaved in and out of traffic. We got to the middle of the bridge as soon as we could. When we were stuck on a toll line, I saw someone on the side of the bridge. "LINDSEY!" I screamed. I quickly pulled out my phone and called Corey and James to tell them where to come.
When we got to the front of the line they said they weren't letting anyone else on the bridge because of the person on the edge. "Thats our best friend. WE NEED TO HELP HER LET US IN!" I screamed at the toll lady. She still wouldn't let us in. She didn't believe me. I told Frank to come with me. We left the motorcycle and ran to Lindsey. "Miss! Miss! you cant do that!" Screamed the toll lady, as we kept running.
When we got as close as we could to Lindsey, I started to yell "Lindsey, don't do this!" tears filled my eyes. "No I have to. I don't have a place on this world." I saw that the others had arrived. Everyone but Gerard. James and his parents ran to Lindsey's spot. He fell to the floor crying. I never saw him like this. Of all the five years I knew James, I never saw him cry for Lindsey like that.
The whole group of friends was speaking:
Corey:"Lindsey I've known you since I was 5, DON'T DO THIS, I KNOW YOU TOO WELL....ILL NEVER BE ABLE TO GET OVER IT! PLEASE DON'T!"
Kate: "Lindsey i know I'm annoying to you, but please don't, the reason I'm annoying is because I think your so cool!"
Ray: "Lindsey, please, my friend's body was found in a river, I DON'T NEED THAT AGAIN!"
Mikey: "LINDSEY! NO! YOUR THE ONE I GO TO, TO FIND OUT WHAT ANNOYS COREY THE MOST. DON'T LEAVE ME, I WONT KNOW WHAT TO ANNOY HER WITH!"
Cathleen: "Lindsey, we love you. Remember the poem you wrote about me as a twig, that wears a whig? Don't do this, I loved that poem!"
Frank and I just sat on the floor crying. Finally I spoke up "LINDSEY! UNDERSTAND THAT IF YOU GO, I'M GOING NEXT." I fell crying again.
Lindsey looked down and saw the big fall. "Ok I wont do it!" we all stood up and reached out for her hand to help her back over the wall.
She tried to reach us but ......she slipped and fell off the bridge.
"NO!!!!!!!!" we all screamed.