It Was A Lie When They Smiled And Said You Won't Feel A Thing

Chapter 43: My Knuckles Have Turned To White

The doctor was about to turn off the machines, but suddenly Bob's hand took Cathleen's.
She looked up slowly and said "Bob?"
"I'm here for you Cathleen. I'm here for you all."
"Remarkable." The doctor said to himself.
Bob slowly opened his eyes and blinked them a few times. He examined the dark room.
"Mr. Bryar? You are in a hospital and you were extremely close to dieing."
"I'm alive? All I remember is waking up while I was laying down on the table in the OR."
"Well yes, you did wake up during surgery. Now I have some good news and bad news."
"The good news is that we almost completely removed the cancer from your lungs, and you will only have to go on radiation."
"He can keep his hair!" said Mikey.
"Ha ha, yes he can. Now the bad news is, we lost a huge amount of blood and because your body has not been functioning while you were in a sort of 'dead' state, you lost some of your memory. You may not remember some of your relatives, and friends. Some of your childhood memories will be lost. There is a possibility that you can get all this memory back, but it is very slim."
"Well that's ok. My childhood memories were nothing special."
"And you will also have to enter a physical therapy session every other day to gain your strength back. We will move you to a rehabilitation center for recovering. There, you will spend up to three or four months at least."
"Is Mr. Mackey going to be there, to welcome us to rehabilitation, M'kay?" Frank said with a soft chuckle.
"What?" said the doctor.
We all started to crack up, but the doctor of course.
"Ok. Mr. Iero-"
"IERO!"
"Right. You need to get your rest."
"Alright doc, but when do I get to go home?"
"Your recovery should be fast, you'll probably get those staples removed within the next few days, and then you may go home and relax."
"Sweet!"
"Right. Now, you seriously need your rest Mr. IERO."
"Ok. Its great to have you here Bob! Bye guys."
"Wait!" I said and pushed him out into the hall.
"I'll try to stay here tonight. And I'll go home and get some of your stuff. Your mom is on her way back from work."
"You don't have to stay,"
"No. I don't, but I want to."
I gave him a quick kiss on the forehead.
"I'll meet you back in your room."
"Ok sweetie"
I flashed him a quick smile and walked back into Bob's room.
They were getting him ready for his first radiation treatment.
My mom had to get radiation when she had cancer. She said the room was very scary. It was in the basement of the hospital, and was bright white. There were no windows. Fluorescent lights buzzed above you. There was a mirror where men behind monitors sat and watched you. Boxes and boxes were stacked. Most of them were full of needles. The machine with the radiation would circle you until it got to the right position. It was loud and annoying. Other than the machine noises and buzzing from the lights, it was silent. Scary silent.
The description she gave me sent chills throughout my whole body. For once, I felt bad for my mom, and hoped she was alright.
Then the memory of her forcing me to cry, forcing me to feel sad and scared about her cancer, all the times she slapped me and yelled at me. All those memories came rushing back. I suddenly became full of rage. I just wanted to hit someone, my mom in particular.

They wheeled Bob out of the room. I sat down on the bed and clenched my fists wishing for pain against my mom, like she caused me.