‹ Prequel: Remedy

One Mississippi, Two Mississippi

Rather Be

"Well that was embarrassing." Callie muttered as she followed Jamie into the house.

"Actually it happens to a lot of people." Kelly told her as she came out from the kitchen, Jordie trailing behind her.

Callie rolled her eyes at Kelly and went to go in the kitchen. Jamie caught her arm and kept her from moving, and when she raised her eyebrow at him he told her, "upstairs. You heard the doctor."

"Bed rest doesn't mean you actually have to stay in bed." Callie told him with slightly narrowed eyes.

"That's exactly what it means." Jamie said, his voice stern.

"Damnit. I was hoping you wouldn't know that." Callie muttered, making them laugh. She then said, "I just want fruit. Pineapple. Did you get the pineapple?"

She was turned toward Kelly, who had done the grocery shopping that morning. Kelly thought about it for a second before nodding, "Yes. I made sure to get the pineapple. Why exactly did you write it three times on the list?"

"I read somewhere that it can induce labor. Worth a try." Callie said with a shrug of her shoulders. She then turned to Jamie and smirked, "I also read that having sex can induce labor. So…wanna go upstairs and mess around?"

Kelly laughed, Jordie simply made a gaging motion. Jamie shook his head in amusement and turned her around toward the stairs, "upstairs. I will bring you some fruit."

Callie rolled her eyes and then made her way up the stairs muttering to herself. She changed into pajamas and crawled into bed, not nearly impressed at the fact that her doctor told her she would likely be feeling the pain that made her go to the hospital for the next few days. He also told her she'd be on bed rest until she went into labor for real, and if it didn't happen naturally that they would induce her on the 30th but that was a whole other story she wasn't allowing anyone to speak of.

She was sitting in bed, covers over her legs, hands in her lap staring at the door when Jamie stuck the bowl of fruit into the room and asked, "is it safe to proceed?"

Callie smiled and told him, "unfortunately."

He laughed and made his way into the bedroom, setting her bowl of pineapple on the nightstand beside her. He glanced around the bedroom and then told her, "I'll be downstairs if you need me."

She grabbed his hand and shook her head, "this might be the last few days we get to be alone before the baby gets here. Stay."

"Cal, there's still a lot to do…"

She shook her head, "if I have to sit up here by myself in pain for possibly a week, it is my right to make you stay here and entertain me."

He sighed dramatically making her narrow her eyes and swat his arm gentle as he sat down beside her. He put an arm around her shoulder and she leaned him as he said, "I can't believe we're gonna be parents in a few days."

"We're gonna be responsible for another human being." Callie told him softly, smiling as Jamie put his hand on her stomach and kissed her head.

"We'll be okay." He told her gently.

Callie stayed quiet for a few minutes, before she finally said, "I swear I'm gonna make this kids life as miserable as it's made mine the past few weeks."

Jamie laughed and told her, "you know as well as I do the minute you see its face you're gonna forget how bad the whole pregnancy was."

"Oh no. No, no, no. I will never forget this experience."

"And that's exactly why I'm gonna be the favorite parent." Jamie said with a grin.

"No…you see I am the one giving this child life, I am the one that has to go through child birth. For that reason I will always be the favorite and most respected parent." Callie told him, laughing as he rolled his eyes jokingly.

They settled into silence again, both of them enjoying what little time they had left where it was just the two of them. Jamie had been glad when he found out that they would have an extra week to prepare themselves, even though Callie was less than impressed.

- - - -

Callie glared at the handful of ping pong balls that were gathered on the floor outside the bedroom. She had been trying to get them to bounce off the wall across from her and down the stairs since no one was answering their phones but so far she hadn't managed to get a single one down the stairs.

She narrowed her eyes slightly and tossed another ball, letting out the tiniest of yells when it went down the stairs. Still no one even yelled up the stairs to her. She did it again, and then three more times after that before she heard foot steps on the stairs.

Kelly stuck her head in the door and asked, "alright already Jeez. You know when I gave you those ping pong balls I meant for you to throw them at Jamie when he was annoying you, not for you to throw down the stairs when you want attention."

Callie shrugged and said, "well being that I'm forced to stay in this torture chamber I figured the least you guys could do was answer me when I called."

"For your information we are very busy downstairs getting ready." Kelly told her, picking up the ping pong balls and putting them back to the box. When Callie raised her eyebrow Kelly explained, "we have a big list. Cleaning and organizing are my jobs, baby proofing is Jordie's, and Jamie is downtown doing more last minute shopping which includes more groceries because let's face it no one here is gonna wanna go shopping when gremlin Benn is here, and some last minute baby stuff."

"Still could have answered me."

"Yes, okay we could have. What did you need my queen?" Kelly asked with a smirk, bowing for good measure.

Callie rolled her eyes and said, "I'm bored."

Kelly burst into laughter and dropped onto the bed beside Callie and said, "well being that I'm the most efficient out if all of your humble servants I'm finished so I will now be on official keep Callie from going crazy duty."

"I don't think that's even possible at this point." Callie muttered as she laid down and put a pillow under her side slightly, groaning.

"Yeah you're right. Totally not an accomplishable goal. We will just hang out in here until Jamie gets home. I gave him strict instructions to bring food home for us."

"Have I told you that you're my favorite lately?" Callie asked in a sing-song voice.

"No."

The two burst into laugher as Jordie came up the stairs and into the room, "what's so funny?"

"Nothing you need to know." Kelly told him, making him roll his eyes at her.

Jordie sat down at the end of the bed and told Callie, "Jamie is on his way home. Downstairs is now baby proofed, cleaned and organized. Baby bouncer thing is put together, and I'm here to put together whatever the fuck a bassinet is."

Callie laughed and pointed at the box at the end of the bed and said, "but be careful, apparently it already injured Jamie."

He nodded and sat down on the floor, pulling all the pieces from the box before starting to put it together. Kelly looked over at him before she turned to Callie and whispered, "do you think you could hold him down while I shave that thing off his face?"

Callie laughed and said, "I'm not sure. He's rather attached."

Kelly groaned, "I know. It's terrible."

"I can hear you both." Jordie said as he looked over at them, holding up the top cover piece of the bassinet before asking Callie, "is this how it's supposed to look."

She nodded, "you're doing better than your brother on that."

Jordie smirked, "well duh."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay for updates!
Kind of short this time, sorry.
But more to come.
Baby Benn is allllmost here