Status: finished!!

She Ain't You

witnessing the first kiss

Unlike Faith, Keirstyn and I Beau, I could not fall back to sleep and return to my undressing of Taylor Hall. So I sat at my desk, did some bills and talked to so relatives over facebook. I watched over some game highlights and then my eyes landed on a few of my photo albums that I had finished over the years. I started taking polaroids after I moved out, something to look back on when I was married and had children.

I flipped through the various pages, smiling at the pictures of the girls and I on vacation or during lectures at the University. I ran my fingers gently over a picture of Geno and I, no doubt we were both probably drunk but we were happy. I then saw the red album, embroidered with a white maple leaf and I smiled at the pictures from the Vancouver winter Olympics.

One was of us cheering for Team Canada, another was a picture of Geno and Sidney wearing their respected country jerseys. But one stood out especially, the 2010 Olympics is where Steph met Jon and I also had the pleasure of sharing a room with Steph.

We entered the Team Canada house with smiles on our faces, Sidney was letting us come in and meet the hockey team. He said that he was very grateful that we decided to come and cheer them on but we all knew, he was just ecstatic that Autumn was here.

“You nervous?” I asked, Sid as he showed us around the house. His hands were shaking and he was stuttering more the normal than he did when Autumn was around.

“Extremely” He breathed out, I patted his chest and smiled. “Did you talk to Geno?”

I had spoken to G a few times, he picked me up at the hotel and drove me straight to their first practice. I met his whole team, even though close to none actually spoke a word of English, but when he introduced me, they all said a variety of things in Russian and that make Geno blush, he also was pretty adamant in not telling me what they had said.

“Yeah, he’s off with the team” I responded and he nodded. We came to the end of the hall, turned left and it opened off to a big room, where the whole Team Canada hockey team sat around.

We were introduced to everyone, from Luongo to Brodeur, from Weber to Eric Staal. But the last person we met, was certainly not least and I found myself shaking hands with Jonathan Toews. Let me tell you, Jon may seem extremely serious but he knows how to have fun. This day marked history, the first day that Jonathan Toews met Steph and it was also what Sid said, the first day he has been lost for words.

When their first game came around, it was Canada vs Norway. We sat up in the players box, Geno was also watching with Ovechkin and Gonchar. Geno had an arm around me, he understood that I had to route for my country but I had already told him that if it came down to it, I’d be rooting for him.

The first period had recorded no goals for either team, making me very nervous but when the second period started I had a good feeling. Forty three seconds into the period, Norway got a penalty and that meant Canada earned a power play. About two minutes later, Iginla scored and everyone in the stands jumped up and cheered.

“Yeah Iggy!” I yelled, jumping up and down. Geno, Alex and Sergei all laughed at me.

“That’s my baby!” Autumn yelled, cheering for her new boyfriends assist. Sid had asked her to be his girlfriend two weeks prior to the Olympics and she obviously said yes. After their first date left Autumn absolutely baffled, I would think so.

In the second period they scored a total of three times, making the score three to nothing and the crowd still buzzing. Through intermission, I started talking to the girls and Steph blushed when asked about Jon.

“Come on, he’s totally into you!” Faith exclaimed hitting little naive Steph on the shoulder.

“He couldn’t get two words out when he met you” I added, making every nod.

“I don’t know” Steph pondered and we all groaned in frustration.

Geno pulled me close again, he had been awfully touchy today but I really didn’t mind it. The feelings I had for Geno were just beginning to form and I was hoping that he felt the same.

The third period racked up five more goals, giving Jarome a hat trick and the game ending at 8 to 0. When Ryan Getzlaf scored, assisted by Niedermayer and Jon, Steph cheered so loud I think we all went deaf.

--

Later on that night was Russia against Latvia, the girls all went out with Team Canada but I knew it would be wrong to not stay at cheer for Russia. I stood up in the players box, wearing a Malkin jersery, with a slice of Pizza in my hand, watching my best friend where a different jersey. In the second period, the score was three to nothing for almost the whole period, there was two minutes left in the period when Maxim Afinogenov passed Evgeni the puck, and Geno placed it in the net.

I cheered and danced for my best friend, having him point up in my direction as I screamed his name. That game ended up being eight to two.

The games went on, I went to everyone and along the whole journey, Steph and Jon bonded. He even took her out for coffee and to watch one of the games. We were all super happy for her, she really liked Jon but we also knew it was in the back of her mind that she’d have to go back to Pittsburgh. When the quarter finals came around, it ended up being Canada vs Russia. I was pumped for the game, I thought it would be interesting to see Geno and Sidney against each other. I was also nervous, the outcome of this game would determined who moved on to the semi finals.

By the seconds period, the game had been in Canada’s favor and I cheered for my friends and country. But when Sergei scored, assisted by Evgeni I cheered for both of them and they hugged on the ice. Canada ended up winning, I cheered and clapped for them but I knew Geno would be disappointed, so I made my way down to his dressing room and waited outside the door. When he came out, I hugged his shirtless, sweaty body and told him how amazing he played.

--

When the day of the Gold Medal game came, we all got there about an hour early and waiting up in the box. We watched people file in, news anchors setting up and just the whole atmosphere was crazy. Almost every team was here, so Geno let me sit on his lap among his friends. The game started and about thirteen minutes in, Toews scored and he jumped up and down.

The game was so close, I could hardly breathe and when it went into overtime, I thought I was going to faint. But the moment, Sid had the puck and he sunk it into the net, I heard Autumn scream so loud and the whole arena went loud. I jumped off Geno, ran to the girls and we jumped up and down. We screamed and cheered.

But that night, sealed the deal for Steph and Jon.

--

Steph and I were in our room, dying down from the excitement. It was silent for a bit as we lay in our beds, before we started a conversation about everything. Autumn and Sid had disappeared, don’t ask and don’t tell. Faith and Keirstyn decided to have a nap before the party at the Team Canada house starts.

“That was exciting” Steph states and I laugh.

“I bet it was for you” I respond and she shoots me a glare. “Come on, you and Jon are cute”

“There’s not ‘me and Jon’” Steph says and I roll my eyes.

“Yet” I think about Geno and I for a moment, I hadn’t told anyone about my feelings for him and I wanted at least someone to know. “Steph?”

“Yeah?” She asked, turning on her side to look at me.

“Can I tell you something?” I asked, and she gasps.

“Your pregnant!”

“No! I haven’t had sex in…”I trailed and thought about it. “Fuck, such a long time”

She looks at me, gesturing me to continue.

“I have feelings for G”

“No shit” She stated and I look at her in confusion. “You never let him be so touchy, the girls and I noticed”

“Fuck, do you think he did?”

“No, he’s too distracted” She states and I nodded. “Do you really think Jon likes me?”

“Are you kidding me?” I ask incredulously. “He gives you lingering hugs, he stares at you just a little bit longer than he should and he smiled every time you enter a room”

“I don’t know” She ponders and I scoff.

There’s a knock at the door, we both look at each other and have a staring contest, which I lose meaning I have to get up and open the door. When I do, I’m not surprised to meet face to face with Jon and he smiles. I let him in, knowing he isn’t here for me and he smiles at Steph.

“What are you doing here?” She asked, sitting up but he shakes his head and kneels down beside her in the bed.

“I want to thank you, for keeping me calm over the past few days” He says, while placing his arm behind her head and when she starts to sit up, he pushes it to support her head and leans to down to kiss her lips.

I grab the camera, witnessing their first kiss and taking a picture for all to see. He pulls away, using his other hand to brush the hair away from his face.

“I haven't been able to stop thinking about you since I met you” He says, leaning in to kiss her again.


A knock on my bedroom door interrupts my memory and I turn around to see Geno, a big smile on his face. He’s wearing a blue plaid shirt and old blue jeans.

“What’s up G?” I ask, walks over to me and pulls me up from the office chair.
“Best friend day” He says and I laugh.

“Let me get ready”
♠ ♠ ♠
Image