Status: Comment :)

The Pain of Remembering

When I Think of You My Heartaches

1 week later…

John Moore POV:

I restlessly played with the sleeves of my suit waiting to be called up to say my eulogy. I looked at Lexi who was in her favorite dress with a little jacket thrown over it. She was wearing Ally’s favorite necklace around her neck. It was the one that I got her on our first Valentine’s Day together. We were eighteen and had been dating only two months at that point. It was a simple locket, nothing too fancy. It was on her dresser this morning when Lexi found it as I was attempting to tie my tie which Brass finally had to help me do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Daddy? Who’s in the picture?” She asked me as she held up a tiny picture that had been shoved inside. It was a small version of our wedding picture. I had no idea that she had put it inside there.

“That’s Mommy and Daddy when they got married.” I explained as I helped her put the picture back in.

“How old were you?” She questioned as she examined the outside of the locket in wonder.

“It was two years ago, before you were born.” I told her. Ally had been 3 months pregnant already when we tied the knot, her baby bump barely showing.

“Can I wear this to Mommy’s party?” She begged me, trying to put it over her head.

“Just make sure you don’t lose it or the picture, okay?” I agreed, undoing the clasp and fixing it around her neck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She was looking at the picture again now, swinging her little legs, already having lost interest in what the priest was saying.

“Mr. Moore, your eulogy.” The priest prompted, gesturing towards me as he stepped to the side. My head shot up from where it was focused on my suit. I cleared my throat and walked up to the front of the church.

“Ally was the nicest girl I ever met. She was full of life and happiness and would never fail to make someone smile,” I started, coming up with the speech off the top of my head. With the week I took off to plan this I only realized that I would be expected to do this last night when it was too late.

“I remember when we met in our freshman year of college I fell in love with her instantly. One of my friends set us up and we were together ever since. She was with me when I was drafted to the Blue Jackets and even transferred schools to be with me there. She was so supportive of me. When she told me she had brain cancer I didn’t want to believe it at first. She was only nineteen; I thought that it wasn’t possible to get it so early. You don’t hear of many people at that age having it. I supported her through her treatments though, every single one I was able to make it to. We both knew this day would come someday,” I paused and looked over at the casket where she would lay forever. I could feel myself starting to tear up.

“So we got married at twenty and she was already pregnant with Alexis. Some people may say that we rushed into everything too soon but neither of us really cared. Derick told me that you died before I scored. Maybe you were trying to tell me that I’d be okay without you that way. That I’d be able to do what I’ve been doing with you without you now; I don’t think that’s true. I need you. For god’s sake, you were only twenty-two when you died. Almost twenty-three,” Tears were falling from my cheeks now. “I almost made it back but I just missed you. I wish I could’ve been there for you but I wasn’t. I’m so sorry, Ally. I love you.” I finished as I went to sit back down.

Brass reached forward and patted me on the shoulder as I lost it. Alexis grabbed my hand and held it, smiling up at me.

“It’s okay, Daddy.” She whispered.

The funeral ceremony ended and now we stood in the light snow. I held Lexi as the priest ranted endlessly. Finally the casket was put in the ground and everyone said their final goodbyes. The casket was then buried six feet under, never to see the light ever again.

As everyone started to leave Alexis and I stayed back.
I put her down softly and handed her a pink rose, her mother’s favorite flower. She placed it neatly on top of the dirt and stood back. I put a matching one on top of hers. She grabbed my hand and we stood there a bit as I read the gravestone. Ally Jade Moore: Daughter, Wife, and Mother RIP January 28th, 1991- January 27th, 2014.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay one more chapter after this guys! Get your tissues ready! IT MAY BE LATE! I haven't had much time to write lately so don't be surprised if it's a day or two late! I'm sorry! But what do you guys think of this chapter?