Status: Ongoing

Picking Up the Pieces

Chapter 7: Starting over

Reyna’s POV

I watched as the peroxide blonde man in the corner continued to drink his coffee and take small bites of his muffin. Heaven knows what he was doing here so late. My coffee shop had closed five minutes ago but David Bowie over there had asked to stay until he finished his meal.
I took a deep breath before walking over to his table to politely kick him out.
“Hi Sir I’m sorry but we closed five minutes ago and I need you to leave” I said as I put on my best smile and looked at the stranger up and down.
“Oh. So I can’t even finish my muffin?” he questioned as I held in a sigh.
“Unfortunately not. I have to lock up and I’m already late to another appointment” I lied.
“At 3 in the morning?”
“What time it is is irrelevant. Now please if you’d just leave” I snapped as I watched the man look back in shock. Once he had composed himself and patted his pockets searching for his wallet.
From the panicked look in his eyes I knew what he was going to say.
“It seems like….”
“…you’ve lost your wallet?” I finished for him as I felt my anger starting to rise. “Oh I know this trick buddy. You come to a bakery sit down and order the most expensive thing on the menu and when it’s time to pay you suddenly can’t find your wallet” I recounted as I thought the amount of times people had pulled this scam in the 2 years I had been in business. “Well guess what you’re not getting away with this. I’m calling the cops” I informed him before walking behind the counter and looking for my phone.
“Wait” the stranger yelled as I began dialling the number. I stopped what I was doing as he approached me.
“Stay right there or I’ll scream” I warned him as he tried to walk behind the counter.
He seemed to head my warning as he stopped before running his hand through his hair.
“This is the part where you tell me why you wanted me to not call the cops” I reminded him as he nodded his head.
“Look this is probably gonna sound but I have money I swear. I just seem to have misplaced my wallet on the way here” he began as I rolled my eyes. “You don’t believe me?” he noted as I nodded. “I swear I’m not a scam artist in fact I’m a millionaire. I’m worth over €30 million…”
“Oh is that so? So you should have no problem paying your bill then?” I taunted as I stretched out my hand ready to receive my money.
He scratched his neck before opening his mouth to speak.
“Save it” i instructed before picking up my phone and preparing to dial the police number.
“Fine call the cops but you should now that if I get sent to jail I won’t be able to afford bail. So I’d probably have to spend the rest of my life in there” he whined as he sat on a stool and looked at me.
I sighed before putting the phone down. My head and my heart where both yelling at me for being stupid and not calling the cops but something deep inside me told me to give this guy a chance.
“I’m probably gonna regret this but do you want to talk about it?” I offered as I sat next to him.
He sighed before finally speaking.
“It’s a long story but the summarized version is that I used to be a really good footballer with a lot of money and a model girlfriend. Now I’m an injured footballer whose been released by his club. I’ve lost all my money and my girlfriend left me” he sighed as he shook his head in disappointment. “Oh and it looks like my cab driver took my wallet because I have no idea where it is. That also mean I am officially broke”
My heart broke as he told his story but somehow I was still reluctant to help him.
“I’m really sorry. Its fine if you can’t pay the bill I’ll just make up the money somehow” I offered as I stood up ready to tell him, in the nicest possible way, to leave.
“Thanks I guess I should leave now right?” he asked before I could speak. I nodded and watched him stand up and walk back to his table and collected his bags.
“Do you have somewhere to stay?” I spoke before I could even think.
“Not really but I’ll make a plan” he smiled before walking out.
As I followed behind him I kept on recounting why what I was planning to do was a bad idea but somehow I couldn’t stop myself.
“If you’re interested I have a spare room. It’ll only be for a couple of days but it’ll make me feel better if you stay there until you find somewhere else to live” I offered as a look of relief washed over his face.
“I’ll take it” he rushed to say as I smiled. “I’m Sergio by the way” he said while pulling out his hand.
“Reyna” I announced as I shook his hand.
“It’s nice to meet you Reyna. You’re a life saver” he admitted as I walked him back to the baker as I prepared to close up and go home.
I hope I’m not making a mistake by letting this man into my house.
***
Sergio’s POV
I woke up the next morning with a bad back but considering that I was being helped out kept quiet about my pain as I walked down the hall.
I could hear Reyna talking to someone over the phone but rather than walk into the kitchen I stood by the wall until her conversation was over.
“Tomorrow 8 o’clock Javier. That’s when I want him back home” she snapped before hanging up the phone and letting out a sigh.
I waited a few minutes before clearing my throat and walking in.
“Morning” I smiled as she turned around and gasped.
“You’re not wearing a shirt” she shrieked before turning back around and looking out the window.
“Is that a problem?” I smirked behind her.
She shook her head no but still didn’t turn around.
“It’s not a problem. I mean if you’re comfortable that all that matters” she commented without looking at me.
I let out a small laugh at her discomfort before walking back to my room and putting a shirt on.
She looked relieved to see me dressed as she ordered me to sit down while handing me a plate of food.
“You didn’t have to make me breakfast. After everything you’ve done for me I should be the one making you breakfast” I admitted as she shrugged.
“Have you thought about what you’re are gonna do?” she questioned as we continued to eat.
“Uhm about what?”
“Employment. I mean you can’t sit around all day and do nothing” she said irritably.
“Oh I haven’t really thought about that. I mean my main focus had been on getting this off” I said, pointing to the cast on my foot and arm.
“Ok” she said with a strained smile. I could tell she was holding something in and I wanted to know what she was thinking.
“What’s on your mind?”
“Nothing” she laid.
I gave her a look and she sighed before relenting.
“Look you say your objective is to get the cast off but that cost money because you need to see a doctor. But if your unemployed how are you gonna afford the fees. On top of that this isn’t a permanent situation. You have to leave at some point. I just don’t think you’ve thought this out” she rambled.
“Oh I guess I really haven’t” I admitted as she agreed. “Look I’ll sell some things to raise some money and then I can move out” I offered as she raised her eyebrows as if what I said made no sense. “What?”
“Or you could find a job. It promises more stability and you won’t get scammed” she reasoned as I shrugged.
“Ok smart ass. Tell me where I’m going to find a job when I’m not even fully functional” I challenged as I small smile grew on her face.
“Well you could work for me. One of my guys quit last week and I’ve been pulling double duty. I could use the extra hands. It doesn’t pay much but it’s better than nothing right?” she suggested as it sunk in how far I had fallen.
Realising I had nothing to lose and no other opportunities to look forward to I accepted her offer.
“So what will I be doing? Spokes model? Waiter? Baker or do you have other plans for me?” I asked as I tried to find some enthusiasm for this job.
“Uhm actually you’ll be sweeping and cleaning the bakery”