Status: Ongoing

Picking Up the Pieces

Chapter 9: Meeting the ex

Sergio’s POV

It had been almost three weeks since I had moved to Badajoz and despite a few hiccups in the beginning I had managed to settle in my new residents. Reyna has also decided to let me stay at her house just as long as I helped around and didn’t entertain any strange people there.
Not that I wanted anyone there. Ok that’s a lie there is one person I wanted to entertain but since it was her house I doubt that it would really count as entertainment more like christening her house.
With our naked bodies
On every surface in her house
Yes
Mine and Reyna’s sort of entertainment would involve lots of nakedness and sweat.
“Sergio are you listening” Cassia snapped as we sat around having a meeting before the shop opened.
Reyna looked between both of us before getting back to putting out the pastries.
“Sorry I wasn’t. Can you repeat that?” I apologised as she rolled her eyes.
“I need extra hands today because some company is hosting a get together. you care to help?” she asked again as I nodded my head.
“Yes. Anything to get out of cleaning the kitchen” I admitted as Reyna glared at me.
She still didn’t say anything as she helped in preparing the bakery for this function. She had been rather quiet since Cassia announced that they would be hosting a function for some big banking firm.
Even though I was tempted to ask why she had gone quiet I decide to keep my opinions to myself, maybe she just felt under pressure to do well.
“If you two are done could you go change and then fix up the place” Reyna ordered before walking back to the kitchen.
Cassia was about to follow after her but I stopped her before she could get too far.
“What’s with Reyna she’s been uncharacteristically quiet” I prodded as cassia let out a sigh.
“I didn’t tell you this but her ex works for the firm that rented out the bakery for the function. They had a nasty breakup so she’s dreading seeing him again” Cassia admitted before smiling and walking away.
Crap! This is the last thing she needs especially since she told me how she has been struggling to keep the bakery afloat since she brought Javier out.
***
Reyna’s POV

I knew this day would come but I didn’t expect it to be so soon. It had only been 3 months since Javier and I had broken up and 7 weeks since I had bought him out of the bakery.
I personally never wanted anything to do with him again but my business unfortunately wasn’t as independent as me.
I needed his firm’s business and that meant id have to spend the whole day playing nice and being friendly to that jerk. Luckily for me I had hired just enough cater waiters to make sure he would be around me longer than necessary. And is push ever came to shove I had Sergio and his muscles to protects me. Not that I was looking at his muscles, because that would be wrong. I don’t date employees and I definitely do not sleep with them.
“Reyna the guests are here” Cassia called as she interrupted my day dreaming. I let out a sigh as I dusted myself off and went to the main area to mingle with the guests.
I made myself available to anyone who needed help while also managing to avoid Javier who sat in the corner following me with his eyes.
“He’s still looking at you” Sergio commented as I stood next to him at the counter.
I opened my mouth to deny that I had noticed Javier but Sergio just shook his head.
“It’s ok that you are keeping one eye on him. You just want to show that you don’t need anymore” he encouraged as I let out a strained life.
“It doesn’t feel like I’m doing that very well at the moment”
Sergio just shook his head disapprovingly at my comment before taking my hand a little squeeze. My heart skipped a beat at the action and I opened my mouth to say something but was interrupted when someone cleared their throat.
“Taken to dating the hired help have we?” Javier commented as Sergio refused to let go of my hand.
I opened my mouth but Sergio spoke before I could.
“I don’t think it’s any of your business who’s name she moans out at night” he baited as Javier stared back in shock.
I yanked my hand away from Sergio before politely asking him to deal with a table that was asking for service. He gave me a look but said nothing before walking away to serve them.
“This place will soon be in the dumps if the help continue with that attitude” Javier rambled before I walked off. He followed behind me as I made my way into the kitchen.
“What do you want Javier?” I asked exasperated.
“I want you to get back to your senses and realize that you need to be with me” he announced as if the situation was that simple.
I had to laugh at his arrogance before slapping him across the face.
“What the…”
“I would never degrade myself in that manner by ever getting back together with you” I began as he held his jaw.
“You say that now Rey but we both know you’ll be back on your knees begging me to take you back. And now that I mentioned it the image of you on your knees gets me excited” he smirked before moving closer to me. “So why don’t you just stop playing around and come back. We both know waiter boy will never make you feel the way I do” he said before placing a hand on my butt.
That caused me to react by pushing him off.
“get out Javier before I do something to you that I’ll regret” I yelled as he shrugged before walking away.
As he left I collapsed on the floor as I held in my anger.
I may be struggling to keep this business afloat but after what just happened one thing was for sure, I would not be going back to Javier for help.
I’ll make it on my own and no one will stop me.
[to be continued…]