Collide With This Guy

Chapter 16

“Are you sure you have everything you need?” Mrs. Quinn asked for like, the thousandth time as she ‘dropped him off’ at my house. Kellin let out an exasperated sigh, earning a stern look from his mother.

“Yes, I’m fine. If I didn’t have everything, I could always just walk twenty feet and get it,” he said, surprising both his mother and myself with the fact that he actually talked back to her.

“All you have to say is ‘Yes Ma’am’,” she snapped.

“Yes Ma’am,” he repeated, robotically. She seemed satisfied with that and kissed his forehead before saying goodbye to us and finally leaving. I shut the front door behind her and turned to Kellin, holding back laughter.

“Ma’am, yes Ma’am,” I mocked, giving a fake salute. He rolled his eyes.

“Don’t make fun of me,” he protested. I just shrugged. I would have gone in for a kiss, but we were still standing in the middle of my house, where anyone of my family members could walk by. I guess it would have been fine if Mike saw, but not for my parents. I wasn’t quite sure how that would go down.

“Let’s go put your stuff upstairs,” I told him, and we both headed for my room.

“So what’s the plan?” he asked me after I had the door shut.

“Tony’s picking us up,” I shrugged.

“My mom could see that, though,” he pointed out. I smirked, feeling clever about the loophole I was about to reveal to him.

“He’ll park down around the corner, and we’re going to jump the fence in the back yard and cut through behind the park to get to him,” I explained. “She’ll never know.”

“Awesome,” he said, his eyes lighting up. He was so cute when he got excited about breaking the rules. I moved towards him and pulled him in for a much needed kiss. He draped his arms around my neck, kissing me back as I placed my hands on his hips.

I pulled back from him and smiled.

“What?” he wanted to know. I shrugged.

“I don’t know, I just like you,” I said. It was really random and sappy but whatever. It put a smile on Kellin’s face and that was all I cared about. Before we could really go on, though, there was a knock on the door.

“Guys, let me in,” Mike’s voice came through the door. I sighed and went over to let him in, locking the door behind him. He made a beeline for the window and propped it open. “Tony just texted me. He’s here.”

“Alright, let’s do this,” I said, as Kellin’s face lit up all over again. I felt like we were totally corrupting, as this was the second time we were sneaking him out without his mom knowing. But seriously, she did need to lighten up. Mike climbed out of the window and down the tree, followed by Kellin and then myself.

“Damn, that tree is easier to climb than I remember,” Mike said, once we were all on the ground. I rolled my eyes and shoved him playfully.

“That’s because nine times out of ten, you’re totally smashed every time you try to climb it,” I said.

“Oh, right,” he said. We started walking through the backyard until we got to the back fence. “Do you need me to help you reach?”

“Shut up,” I spat, climbing the fence just as easily as he could. He just loved to poke fun at the fact that he was taller than me, his older brother, whenever he got the chance. Once we were all over the fence, we hurried down the back way until we got to Tony’s car parked at the end of the street that was perpendicular to ours.

“Took you long enough,” he muttered as Kellin and I slid in the back seat as Mike took the front. “I don’t understand why we had to go through all that just so you guys can come over. There aren’t even any parties tonight.”

“Kellin’s mom is psychotic,” Mike informed him.

“Ah, I see, Sorry man,” Tony said, nodding towards Kellin through the rear-view mirror. After we were buckled and everything, Tony started driving away , back towards the neighborhood we had been to before for the party that one time.

Once we got to his house, he led us downstairs to the same studio we had seen last time. Tony went over to a laptop and clicked a few buttons on the keyboard before returning to us.

“Okay, so I was looking at the lyrics- this is a different song I’m guessing?” he wanted to know.

“Yeah, we’re just going to do the acoustic for the other one for a talent show thing at school,” I explained as Tony nodded to show that he understood.

“See, I think this song has much more potential to be a crowd-pleaser, but hey, whatever floats your boat, man,” he shrugged. He motioned for me to come over to the laptop, where he had the lyrics I’d sent him displayed on the screen. Mike went over to the drum set Tony had and quietly entertained himself as Kellin stood around, not really sure what to do with himself.

“Hey, Kellin, come here,” I said, as I wanted to talk to him about what Tony was suggesting. I wasn’t quite sure he’d be comfortable with it, but why not?

“What?” he wanted to know. “What are we doing?”

“Kellin, can you scream?” Tony asked him. He looked a little confused.

“Um … What do you mean? I screamed on a roller coaster last year,” he said, pondering the memory. Tony stifled laughter.

“Not like that,” I chuckled.

“Why don’t you show him, Vic, I know you know how,” Mike called from across the room. I knew that Tony was suggesting that the first verse get screamed, so I just did. I stepped away and took a deep breath- it had been a little while since I’d practiced.

“Dare me to jump of this Jersey bridge? Bet you never had a Friday night like this-“I stopped there, cringing at how rough I sounded. I needed to work on it. “What do you think.”

I half-expected Kellin to freak out and say that it sounded satanic. But then again, I guessed that was more like something his mom would say.

“Fuck, that’s so cool,” he said, smiling. I laughed, still not used to him using swear words. It wasn’t very often, but ever since that night I had noticed he was beginning to slip profanities into our conversations.

“Dude, did Kells just drop an F-bomb?” Mike chuckled.

“Anyway, so that’s how I think the first part should go, and then, it’s like a duet, see?” Tony continued, showing me where he broke it down. I had Kellin sing his part just to give Tony an idea.

“Dude, this isn’t going to be acoustic song, you have to put way more intensity into it,” Tony said, Kellin frowned.

“I thought it was good,” he mumbled to me, a little disappointed.

“You do sound good, it’s just- we want to make it more upbeat. Like, don’t be afraid to get angry, you know? Think of why we wrote the song,” I said, reminding him of how we had written it about how much we hated getting pushed around at school and everything. “Imagine your singing this to Jaime after he turned the shower on you.”

Kellin scowled, his face scrunching up. He took a deep breath before starting again. This time as he sung his voice, he really belted it out, surprising even me. It was like someone lit this fire under him that I’d never seen before. It was pretty fucking hot.

“That’s more like it,” Tony said, nodding in approval. “Now you, Vic.”

“Oh, right,” I said before I started. I noticed as I did, though, that Mike had started up a beat on the drums. I was about to stop and tell him to cut it out, but then I realized that it actually went really well with what I was singing. When I was done, I turned to him and grinned. He shrugged.

“Just messing around,” he shrugged.

“No, I like it,” Tony said, before I had the chance to. I nodded in agreement. “I want to try something I was thinking about. Sorry if it’s weird that I have all this planned out- I just really like this one, Vic.”

“I like it, too,” I said, flashing Kellin a smile. He gave me a shy one in return. I watched as Tony picked up one of his guitars and put the strap around him. As he started playing, I suddenly got really excited. Why couldn’t we do this song for the show? It made me hate Kellin’s mom more than I already did, because I knew she’d freak the fuck out if she saw Kellin performing this way.

Most of the night was full of playing around with different chords and melodies and such. Eventually, I had another one of Tony’s guitars and we were playing together. As good as it sounded I just couldn’t place my finger on what it was missing. I was lying on the floor, staring at the ceiling as I tried to figure it out.

We had just stopped our ‘rehearsal’ and were just hanging around.

“I think it needs a bass line,” Mike suddenly said. I sat up and snapped my fingers.

“That’s it!” I exclaimed.

“Now who knows someone that plays bass?” Tony wanted to know. I mean, I was pretty sure Jaime did, but hell if I was going to ask him to play a song that I had written about him- or any song in general.

“I know someone,” Kellin suddenly said. “I have a friend who’s always talking about it.”

“You have friends?” I teased. He shot me a glare before continuing.

“Yes, my friend Justin in my calculus class,” he informed me, matter-of-factly. “I bet he’d be interested.”

“Ask him on Monday,” I said, excitedly.

“Vic, Monday is the first day of Winter Break,” he said.

“Fuck,” I muttered. “Do you have his number?”

Kellin pulled out his phone and nodded. “I’ll text him now.”

“Well this is great, but I think we should call it a night,” Tony said. “We’ve gotten a lot done today. This is a great song.”

“Thanks,” I said, proudly.



When we got back to my house, I kicked Mike out of my room so that I could finally have some time alone with Kellin.

“Hey,” I said, moving towards him. He was sitting cross legged on my bed, and reached out for me as I came closer. I kneeled in front of him, connecting my lips with his. He interlocked his fingers behind my neck, smiling into the kiss.

“That was so much fun,” he told me. “It was such a rush.”

“Oh really? How so?” I asked, laying down and kicking my legs over his lap. He held them there and shrugged.

“I don’t know, just like, getting all riled up and swearing and yelling and- it was so much fun. I need to break the rules more often,” he said, grinning.

“Ooh, bad boy Kellin,” I said, trying to picture it. “Somehow I don’t see you as the bad boy type.”

“I can be bad,” he said, a little bit of a sassy edge to his voice.

“Then do something bad,” I challenged, sitting up. He thought about it for a minute, and then looked back up at me before shoving me off the bed.

“Hey!” I shouted, though I couldn’t help but laugh. “That’s not bad, that’s just a dick move.”

“What am I supposed to do?” he said, still laughing.

“I don’t know, I was just messing with you. It’s past your bedtime, anyway, Mister,” I said, as I went over to my dresser to pull out some pajama pants. I took my shirt off and tossed it to the side, momentarily forgetting that Kellin had never even seen me shirtless before. I glanced over at him and he quickly looked away. I bit my lip. “Are you checking me out?”

“Maybe,” he shrugged. I smiled.

“Okay then,” I sighed, a little more dramatic than necessary. “I guess if you’re not looking, I’ll just get naked here.”

I undid the buttons and zip on the front of my jeans and pushed them down a little. I turned back to Kellin and sure enough, he was watching me again. This time his face was an adorable shade of pink.

“Problem?” I asked, trying to sound overly confident when I was actually a little nervous myself to be taking my pants off in front of him. He shook his head. I pushed the pants down to my ankles and kicked them off, leaving me in nothing but my underwear. I knew nothing was going come out of it, but pert of me wanted to play with fire and find out what would happen if he saw me naked. Would he freak out? Would it make him reconsider the whole holding off on intimacy thing? I mean, as much as I respected his wishes, I still had my own hormones to deal with. I kept eye contact with him as I slowly peeled the boxer-briefs off of my body.

He kept his eyes locked on mine before slowly allowing them to wander downwards as curiosity got the best of him. Shit, I didn’t think it was possible for him to blush any deeper, but there he was. God, he was so attractive and all I wanted to do was jump on him and feel his touch and- dammit.

I needed to stop letting my mind wander, or I was going to develop a very visible problem. I grabbed my pajama pants and quickly pulled them on.

“Um, sorry,” I said, quietly before getting into bed.

“You’re really hot,” he suddenly said. I sat back up, and he stared down in his lap, a little embarrassed.

“You are too, babe,” I said, letting out a shaky breath. Why was I so nervous? I had pants on, I wasn’t exposed anymore. He got off the bed and went to his duffle bag, pulling out his pajamas. He turned around so that he wasn’t facing me and pushed down his pants. I never saw anything, but I did get a nice view of his underwear-clad ass before he was dressed and turning back to me. Wordlessly, he turned the light off and joined me in bed, cuddling against my chest. I held him there and kissed his forehead, smiling at my little victory.