Status: Regularly updating.

Let Me Save You

Chapter 19

3rd person POV

“How’s she doing?” Vic finally asked once he was certain she was really asleep.

“Better.” Andy said softly. “She has good days and bad, and the nightmares have been getting better, slowly.” He sounded tired emotionally and mentally.

“Have you taken her to talk to someone?” Kellin asked almost hesitantly.

“She won’t go.” Ashley said. “We’ve already tried.” Andy’s hand was brushing subconsciously through Jay’s short hair in a rhythmic soothing motion.

“How are you doing?” Kellin spoke up again.

Andy sighed and let out an exhausted chuckle. “How am I doing?” He closed his eyes for a moment before continuing. “I haven’t really slept in days, partly because I’m looking after Jay, and partly because I’m scared that if I fall asleep something will happen and I won’t be there.” He dropped his eyes to Jay, gazing at her affectionately. “I’m always so scared I’m going to lose her again.” There, he’d finally voiced his biggest fear.

It was silent for a long minute before Mike broke the silence. “Don’t take this the wrong way man, but...maybe you should stop trying to hide her away from the world.”

Andy looked up at him blankly, letting that sink in.

“It’s not a bad idea.” Kellin said, stretching out his legs. “Sure not everyone will be supportive, but the people who care are the one’s who will be.”

Andy was silent.

“You don’t have to decide now though, it’s just food for thought.” Mike added crushing a cracker in his hand and dusting the crumbs into the sand.

“Mike stop wasting graham crackers.” Jamie whined to his left, and just like that the conversation moved on.

---------

“I think we’re gonna head out.” Vic said a couple more hours later, stretching his arms over his head and standing up.

Mike smirked and didn’t move. “I’ve got the keys Vic.”

Vic rolled his eyes and looked at Jamie who quickly broke. “Come on Mike, time to go.” Jamie jumped up and Tony followed. Slowly the guys packed everything up and put the fire out. Andy lifted Jay into his arms and the guys all gathered the stuff, setting off in a clump towards the parking lot.

“Just so you know Andy, we’re happy to help.” Vic said, offering a smile. “With Jay I mean.”

Andy smiled softly and glanced down at his sleeping daughter. “Thanks guys.”

The group said their goodbyes and parted ways, Ashley, Andy, and CC all headed towards Andy’s car.

“I’ll take her.” CC volunteered, stepping towards Andy. He took the sleeping girl in his arms and carefully climbed into the back seat, laying her so her head was resting on his lap. Ashley and Andy climbed into the front and Andy started up the car.

---------
Jay POV

Three days it had taken to convince Andy, dad, that he didn't have to walk me into school Monday morning. He'd finally agreed when I promised to carry a can of pepper spray in my bag from then on. It wasn't a bad idea, even I would admit that, but as I pushed open the door to the building I couldn't help but feel a tad ridiculous. It's not like pepper spray would have helped me when...it happened.

"Guten Morgen Jay." I jumped slightly when Zach fell into step beside me. The action did not go unnoticed.

"Hey." I murmured in return, keeping my gaze lowered.

"Nobody's gonna touch you, and if they do you tell me." The seriousness in Zach's voice made me look up at him for a long moment before reaching my locker.

"Thanks Zach." I pulled open my locker, and grabbed my books, shoving them nervously in my bag before closing my locker again.

He nodded, understanding my anxiety. "Where to?"

"English."

Cody didn't surface until lunch, where she came skipping up to the table with a yawning Lexie in tow. The dropped into the seats across from me and Cody smiled warmly while Lexie closed his eyes and rested his head on his arms. Cody rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to me.

"It's only a few weeks till finals, are you excited?" She seemed enthusiastic for reasons I could not understand. "It's almost summer!" Oh.

"You have to get through finals first." Zach said matter of factually, only managing a straight face for a few seconds before cracking up.

"Whatever Mr. I'm-a-perfect-student." She laughed loudly, earning a few looks, but ignored them. "Just think, in a month we get to enjoy that sun our state's so famous for." She went starry eyed and even I had to roll my eyes at her over dramatization.

The bell echoed down the hall, drowned out by the rush of voices and slamming of lockers signaling the end of the day. I picked my way through the crowd to my locker, having managed to stay, for the most part, in the background the entire day. It seemed the excitement of the incident had worn off. Thankfully. Unfortunately, however I had a homework load enough to keep my busy for the next two weeks solid. Then there was the finals to study for.

The sun was hiding behind a thick cloud when I stepped outside, and as I glanced up I caught sight of a familiar black car and headed towards it.

"Hey Jay!" CC called when I opened the door, smiling brightly at me.

I threw my bag in the back and got into the passenger seat. "Hi CC."

"You hungry? I'm starved." He instantly started chatting as he pulled out of the parking lot and onto the main road, heading away from home. Glancing at him I wondered where we were going.

"Sure." I murmured.

"What are you in the mood for? Mexican, Chinese, pizza, Italian..." I knew if I didn't volunteer an answer he'd just keep listing things.

"Chinese sounds good."

"Chinese it is!" With one hand he reached down and flipped on the radio, keeping the volume low. "So, how was it?"

I let the silence drag for a while before answering with a simple, "it was alright."

He didn't press and issue and I silently thanked him.

"How come Andy didn't pick me up?" I asked, finally voicing my curiosity.

"I'm offended!" He said dramatically, slapping his hand against his chest and flashing my puppy-dog eyes. "Am I so unappreciated?"

I rolled my eyes. "You know what I mean."

He smirked and focused back on the road. "He's got a couple meetings, trying to get things taken care of before you get out of school for the summer. We're getting take out right?"

I nodded absently, more focused on the first part of what he'd said. "What does that mean? Getting things taken care of before summer?"

He paused, choosing his words carefully. "There's a lot going on for us this summer, and he's just trying to get things into some order so it won't be as chaotic for everyone. He'll explain it to you once he's got everything locked down." He smiled reassuringly and pulled into a parking spot. The sign on the building said 'Jade Dragon' in scrolling red lettering.

Try as I might, I couldn't get my thoughts away from what CC had said. Three hours had passed and we were back at the house, camped out on the couch watching season one of Game of Thrones, though I couldn't have told you anything that had happened so far and we were on our second episode. As the theme song started I wandered into the kitchen hunting for something to drink, reaching for the fridge just as the front door opened and Andy walked in.

He smiled seeing me, though I could see the exhaustion in his eyes. "Hey, how was the first day back?" He wrapped me in a warm hug.

"It was alright." I murmured pulling away. "What have you been up to?"

His smile drooped slightly and he sighed, brushing his hand through his hair. "Come on, I'll tell you when the episode ends." He draped his arm around my shoulders leading me back to the couch.