Max & Me

Mummy

**Danielle's POV

Eleanor and I shopped around for the next few hours, buying whatever we could within our budget. Bags strewn across our arms, as we strolled around the mall, looking for stores we haven’t been to yet.

Louis is out shopping too on his own. We’re supposed to be meeting up in about 10 minutes. I have to go pick Max up from Daycare anyway, because it’s getting late.

“Ready to go meet Louis?” asked Eleanor, taking deep breathes as she struggled to carry the weight of her bags. “Sure,” I replied, “I am getting tired of carrying bags.”

Eleanor nodded in agreement. We’re supposed to be meeting in the food court, at Edo Japan. I could really go for some food right now, since I didn’t have breakfast or lunch. And, it’s already 3pm. “This is probably the most I’ve ever bought at one time.” Said Eleanor.

“Ah-greed.” I agreed with her. “There’s Louis.” Said Eleanor, as she tried to point over at him. Louis turned when he heard his name, and waved. He had a minimum amount of bags, sitting on the ground next to his table. He was on his phone.

I could tell her was trying to hide from the fans, because he had a dark beanie on, and dark sunglasses. He tried to keep his face mostly down, but he wasn’t doing a very good job of it.

A few people recognized Eleanor and I, but didn’t make a huge fuss. We took photo’s, and gave autographs, then moved on. “Hey Louis,” said Eleanor, kissing Louis’ cheek. I set my bags down on the ground, taking a deep breath. I sat down in the chair beside Louis, while Eleanor sat across from him.

“What did you get?” Louis asked Eleanor, eyeing all El’s bags. “Lots of things,” Eleanor replied, “Let’s just say I have enough for the next three months.”

“Three months?” I asked doubtfully, “More like four years.”

Eleanor shrugged, “I was pretty close.” I rolled my eyes, and looked around the barren foodcourt. I guess people don’t typically eat at 3:00pm. “What do you want to eat?” asked Louis, taking out his wallet, “My treat.” He added.

Eleanor began scanning the food-booths. “I’m going to have spaghetti from that Italian booth.” She replied, holding out her hand. Louis passed her two ten dollars bills. “Thank-you.” Said Eleanor, getting up again. “Ugh, my legs are sore.” Eleanor whined.

“You think mine aren’t?” I asked, standing up with her. Ow. That actually does really hurt. “What are you having?” Eleanor asked Louis. “I already ate, Subway.” Louis replied. “Oh,” said Eleanor. “What are you having?” she asked me. “I think I’ll have Chinese.”

Louis passed me a twenty. “I’m good.” I replied, taking my own wallet out. “You sure?” asked Louis. “Yep.” I replied. He shrugged, and put the wallet away, “Okay then.”

“Thanks anyway.” I said. “Okay, I’m going to go order.” Said Eleanor, nodding, and pursing her lips, half-smiling. “Okay,” I replied, “Me too.”

I made my way to the Chinese booth. I got in line behind an elderly Chinese couple, and took a tray. “How can I help you?” asked the worker. “Can I get a three piece meal?” I asked. “Yes.” Said the woman, “What three items?”

“Beef and broccoli, plain chop-sui, chow-mien, and gingerbeef?” I asked. “Of course.” Said the woman, and began to scoop the things I ordered into a to-go container. “Thank-you.” I replied, when she passed me the container. “Anything to drink?”

“Chocolate milk,” I replied, “And four fortune cookies please.” I’m getting one for El, one for me, one for Louis, and one for Max. They’re fun. She grabbed four cookies from the bin, and dropped them on my tray. “Is that everything?” she asked.

“Yes.” I replied. “Cash or credit?” she asked. “Credit.” I replied, waving my VISA. She nodded, and passed me the machine. I did my business, and went back to the table with my food. I arrived just as Eleanor did. “I can’t wait to dig in.” said Eleanor, looking admiralty at her good.

“Ditto.” I replied, putting my tray down. “So,” said Louis, once we began to eat. “Who does Max belong to?” he asked. I racked my mind for what to say, as Louis sipped his Pepsi. “Well.” I replied, “He’s my friend Sydney’s son.”

“Cool.” Said Louis, “Where do you know Sydney from?” I began to think about my friend Sydney, who I met at Dance school. I’m just going to use her as Max’s mom for now. Until I admit the truth to Louis.

“Well, we went to school together back in the day.” I replied, “She’s awesome. A great mom to Max.”

“Tell me about her.” Said Louis. “Well…” I started, as Eleanor looked at me in panic. “Her name is Sydney Emma Brookes. She was born May 13th, nineteen-ninety-three.”

“Something interesting.” Louis interjected. I rolled my eyes, “Fine, baby.”

Louis stuck his tongue out at me, and I stuck my tongue out at him. “Anyway…” said Eleanor, as she sipped her drink, “Sydney?”

“Well… You, Louis, you’re her fav in 1D.” Louis nodded, “I like her already.” I continued, “So she’s twenty right now.” I added. “She’s an only child, and she barely saw her parents as a kid, because they had big-time full-time jobs,” Louis nodded, and Eleanor listened contently too.

“She’s pretty shy, when I first met her she didn’t do much. She didn’t try to keep the conversation going, or anything. She had a really hard childhood. Her grandfather is the definition of psycho. She doesn’t like talking about him.”

“But when Sydney trusts you, there’s no going back. She’s going to tell you everything, and however she feels, you’ll be the first to know. She’s a very sweet girl.” Louis listened, drinking his drink.

“She loves to golf, and swim, and run, and read.” I added. “Anything else?” asked Louis. “Lou!” I exclaimed, “What are you so obsessed?”

He shrugged, “Because I like hearing about people. If she trusts you with her son, she must be pretty cool.”

“Oh-kay.” I said, and began to eat. “Also.” I added with my mouth full, “She self-harms, so I’ve been trying to help her through that.” Louis furrowed his brows, “Isn’t is dangerous to self-harm? What if she hurt herself to much that she died? or passed out? What if Max needed help, and she was unconscious?”

“That’s why I’m here.” I replied, “I regularly go over, and visit to make sure she’s doing good. She texts me on the hour too, so I know if she doesn’t text, something is wrong.” Louis seemed satisfied enough with that. “Well, let’s go get Max.” I said, as I finished up my food.

“Sounds good.” Said Eleanor, wiping her mouth. I picked up my bags, and felt my sore muscles begin to hurt again. Crap.

**

Louis drove Max and I home, as he and Eleanor talked. I sat in the back with Max, El and Louis sat in the front. Max and I were pointing at the trees out the window. “Tree.” Max managed to say. “Yay!” I congratulated him, “Good job buddy!”

Max giggled, “Tree!” I grinned, “Yay!” Max seemed to like the praise. “He’s adorable.” Said Louis looking at Max through the rear-view mirror. “What else can you say?” I asked Max. “No!” Max exclaimed. “C’mon, Max!” said Louis, “Say something else!”

Max had been shouting ‘no’ the whole time while we drove him to daycare earlier. Max thought about this, before grabbing my arm, and looking up at me, smiling. “Mummy.” He said, snuggling into me. “Did he just call you mummy?” asked Louis, giving me a look.

“Mummy.” Max repeated. “N-N-, he’s just confused.” I lied. “Why is he calling you that?” asked Louis. Eleanor gave me another panicked look. “I’m not his mother.” I assured Louis. “Yes, mummy.” Said Max. “Danielle?” asked Louis, “Tell me the truth.”

“Mummy,” said Max. “Dani?” asked Louis. “Mummy.” Said Max. “Danielle!” said Louis. Here goes everything.