Max & Me

Just confused

**Danielle’s POV

I sat there, working on another excuse. My mind was empty. “Mumma!” said Max. “Danielle.” Said Louis firmly, stopping at a red light. “What are you not telling me?”

“She’s telling the honest truth,” said Eleanor, trying to help me, “Max is just confused.” Eleanor added. I smiled at her attempts at saving me. “Can’t you trust me?” asked Louis, eyeing me in the rearview mirror.

I rubbed my eyes, sighing. “Mumma?” asked Max. His little voice contained a lot of sad emotion. I put my hand on his head, and slowly stroked his blonde hair. I don’t know where he got the blonde. Liam’s brown hair, and my brown hair doesn’t equal blonde.

And, Max has blue eyes. I don’t have blue eyes, and neither does Liam. I don’t know why Eleanor thought Max looked like a mix of Liam and I. He looks nothing like us. Maybe it’s the facial shape… “Danielle.” Said Louis. “Louis,” I whispered, “I don’t have to tell you anything.”

“I know you want to.” Said Louis, “You want to tell me, and you want to tell Liam that Max is his son.”

“Excuse me?” I asked, raising an eyebrow as my heart began beating faster. “I know he’s your son Dani,” said Louis, “You can’t hide it. I’m just too smart for you.”

“Who says he’s my son?” I asked. “You’re crazy little mind just loves making up stories. That’s all it’s doing right now, so just stay out of my life, please and thank-you.”

Louis shook his head, and began to drive again when the light turned green. “You can trust me.” Said Louis quietly, “You can always trust me.”

“It’s Liam I can’t trust,” I whispered, “He has Sophia now. He doesn’t want me. I have a child for Christ’s sake. Who wants a girlfriend with a child?” I asked.

“Liam does,” said Eleanor, adding into the conversation, “Especially because it’s his child.”

I looked down at my lap, as I played with Max’s hair. “I suppose.” I whispered. “But you know what this would do to his reputation? It’d be ruined. One Direction’s Daddy Direction has one year old child he never knew about.” I said this, making air-quotes around ‘Daddy Direction’.

“The fans love you,” said Louis, “They hate Sophiam. They loved Payzer.” Eleanor nodded in agreement.

“What are you saying?” I asked. “I’m saying you need to tell Liam.”

“No, no, no!” I exclaimed, putting my arms around my son. “I’ve already told you, and Eleanor in one day. I can’t handle telling Liam too. It’d be too much for me.”

“Eleanor found out today?” asked Louis, “I thought you would have told her earlier.”

I shook my head. “She was the first to know. You’re the second. You two are the only living soles who know.” Louis drove down the highway, looking like he was in deep thought. “So, who’s that Sydney character then?” asked Louis.

“My friend from dance school.” I admitted. “So she’s not Max’s mum?” asked Louis, trying to clear everything up. “If I’m Max’s mum,” I said, “Sydney can’t be. Duh.”

Louis rolled his eyes, and turned down my road. “You better not tell anyone.” I told Louis, “And if you do, I’ll hurt you.”

Louis put on a fake threatened face, and gasped, “Wow Danielle! You’re so good at intimidating!” he said in a high-pitched voice, “I think I’m going to have nightmares about you coming for me!” he added.

Now it was my turn to roll my eyes. “Mumma.” Said Max, yawning and tugging on my sweater. “No Max,” I said, “It’s not nap time yet.”

Max yawned again. “Just to get this straight.” Said Louis, “Max is Liam’s… right?”

“Yes Louis, Max is Liam’s son.”

“Okay.” Said Louis, pulling into my driveway. He put the car in park, and leaned back in his seat. Eleanor turned to me, and gave me a sympathetic smile. I shrugged, closing my eyes for a moment longer then usual.

“Are you going to get out?” asked Louis, “Or do I need to open the door for you?”

“Actually,” I said, “Could you get my car door, and Eleanor get the house door? I need to carry Max, and come back for my shopping bags. I can’t open the door with Max in my arms though.”

Louis sighed, and climbed out of the car. It was lightly snowing, and the snow was falling lightly on the ground. Louis slammed his door shut, and opened mine. I unbuckled Max, and set him on my hip. I grabbed the booster with the other hand, and climbed out.

“Thank, you.” I said to Louis, as he closed my door. I jogged up to the front door, and Eleanr opened it for me. “Thank, you.” I said, walking inside. I tried to kick the snow off my boots at the front carpet, but it didn’t work too well.

I brought Max to the living room, and put him in his playpen. I hadn’t even realized I left it out when Eleanor came over this morning. I can’t believe she didn’t notice it.

Max lay there, and closed his eyes. I smiled, and put the car-seat down on the sofa. I then went back outside for my many bags or fashions galore.

“Hey.” Said Eleanor, following me to the car. “Sorry I’m not good at excuses.” Eleanor apologized, putting her hands in her pockets. “It’s fine.” I shook my head, “It wasn’t your fight to fight anyway. At least it’s out to you two now, in case I ever need a babysitter.”

I winked at her, and she smiled. I grabbed as many bags as I could, and brought them inside, dropping them on the ground beside the stairs. I went out for my second round of bags, but saw Eleanor and Louis doing it for me. “Aw.” I smiled, crossing my arms over my chest from the cold, “You’re too kind guys.”

“Yeah, we are, aren’t we?” asked Louis, looking at El. She nodded in agreement, dodging past me to get inside. They added the bags to the pile I’d already started, and smiled in accomplishment.

“We better get going.” Said Louis, wrecking his all-about-me attitude. “Okay,” I agreed, “It is getting late actually.”

Louis smiled, and put a hand on my shoulder. “I won’t tell Liam, Danielle,” he assured me, “But you will.”

“Wait- what?” I asked rudely, crossing my arms. “I’m not telling Liam, Louis.”

“Danielle, you have to tell Liam. He needs to know his son for Christ’s sake! Max needs to know his father! What will Liam think on Father’s Day? And what will Liam think if he finds out about his son from someone other then you.”

“Louis,” I grumbled, “Just stay out of my business. What happened to ‘I won’t tell Liam, Danielle, I promise’.”

Louis looked anywhere but me. “Just tell him Danielle.” He told me, shaking his head, “Or I will.”

I felt my heart begin to beat faster, as Louis and Eleanor left through the door. He can’t just do that to me, and leave! What a jerk!

“Don’t tell him, Louis!” I cried from the doorframe, to Louis who had just begun backing out of the driveway. I put all my weight on the door, and began to yell, “PLEASE LOUIS!” I cried, tears beginning to trickle down my cheeks. “LOUIS!” I cried, “ELEANOR!”

But the car was gone. “Don’t tell Liam!” I cried, “LOUIS! I’LL TELL HIM MYSELF!”