Max & Me

Per bear

**Danielle’sPOV

I paced around the living room, clutching the phone in my hand. Max stood in his playpen, watching me and sucking his thumb. I wonder how that is entertaining.

I licked my lips, trying to prepare myself to tell Liam. How should I tell him?

‘Hey Liam, guess what? I have your one year old son! Cool right!’ Nope, doesn’t sound right.

‘Lili, got some news. We got a baby.’ Nope.

‘Hey Liam, can I share something with you? This is Max. Our son. You were too blind to know I was pregnant with you child.’ Uh, no.

‘Yo Liam, ditch Sophiam, come with me and we’ll be livin’.’ Ew, no. What’s with the rhyming?

This is hopeless.

I looked at the black home-phone in my hand, and racked through thoughts. I can’t believe I’m doing this. I pressed one number, two numbers, and before I knew it Liam’s number was sitting on the screen of the phone.

All I need to do is press talk. I lifted my thumb, but quickly moved it away. I can’t do this. I pressed ‘end’, and the number disappeared from the phone. Moments later, the phone began to ring in my hand.

I looked at the caller ID. Payne, Liam.

I gasped out loud. No, no, no, no!

Before I could stop myself I pressed talk,and put the phone to my ear. “Hello?” I asked, trying to sound like I was busy so I couldn’t talk.

“Danielle?” asked Liam’s angelic voice.“Yes.” I whispered, feeling less confident after hearing his perfection.

“Louis said you told him, to tell me, to call you. What’s up?” I hate Louis William Tomlinson. “It was nothing,” I assured him, “Just a misunderstanding.”

“Well, okay,” said Liam, “So… I guess I best be going…”

Cut the crap Danielle. Tell Liam. He’s on the phone, tell him. “Actually,” I started, “I do have something to say.” Liam stopped talking, “Well, okay. Shoot.”

“Well, I guess… you, and I… me and you… have a—“

“Lili?” a voice called, interrupting my talking. “One sec, hold your thought.” Said Liam. I could hear him set the phone down. “Hey Soph.” I heard him say. “Hey Liam,” said ‘Sophie’. I hate that twig.

I began to hear lip smacking in the background. Gross. “Liam?” I asked awkwardly. I heard static, then the sounds of kissing stopped. “Sorry, what’s up?” asked Liam. “Who are you talking to, babe?” asked Sophie.

“Nobody.” Liam replied. Ouch. That one stung. “Well, okay.” Chirped Sophia. “So?” asked Liam, “Hurry because I have to get going to an interview.”

“Never-mind Liam.” I snapped, “Just get back to your make-out session. Goodbye.”

And with that, I hung up. I didn’t even stayon the line long enough to here him object, or anything. Who knows if he evenwould have objected? It’s not like he gives a crap about me anyway. I put thephone down, and sat down on the sofa.

I turned to my son, and smiled. He wassucking on his fist and looking at me, still. “Hey baby.” I whispered. He tookhis fist out of his mouth, and held his arms up in the air, wanting me to holdhim. I half-smiled, and climbed off the couch.

I put my hands under Max’s armpits, andlifted him up. “Hey bud.’’ I whispered, as I struggled to get him on my hip.“Momma.” Said Max. I took a deep breath. I can’t have him saying that anymore.I can’t be Max’s momma.

What am I supposed to do? I have to telleveryone, except Liam. And how is that going to work? That’s right, it won’twork. It has to though. Max needs a life. An honest life.

It needs to start now. I put Max on thesofa, and picked up the phone. I dialed Perrie’s number. “Per?” I asked, onceshe picked up. “Hey Dani.” She said, “What’s up?”

“I have something I need to admit,” I toldher, “I have a son, named Max. He’s Liam’s. You’re the third one who I’ve told.I’ve been hiding him from you for almost two years. I’m so, so, sorry, forgiveme. I have to go though, love you Per.”

I hung up before I could hear her reaction.I tossed the phone on the sofa, and took a step away from it. Why did I just dothat? Why, why, why?! How much more stupid could I be? I dropped my head back,and groaned.

Now I should just call everyone and tellthem, right? While I’m doing it. I didn’t tell Perrie not to tell anyone, soshe could easily tell Zayn, and he’d tell Louis, and he’d tell Niall, and he’dtell Harry, and Harry would tell Liam.

What’s wrong with me? I picked up the phoneagain, while Max watched me intently. As I was about to dial Perrie’s numberagain, her number came up on the screen and it began ringing. Before I couldstop myself, I hit speak.

“Hello?” I asked casually. “What the hellwas that?” asked Perrie in frustration. “What do you mean?” I asked. “For God’ssake, Danielle! You know what!” I licked my lips. I didn’t expect her to beangry with me.

“Max.” said Perrie. “What about him?” Iasked nervously. “I need more of an explanation!” she exclaimed, “You can’tjust call and hang up like that!” I took a deep breath, and sat down besideMax. “Listen. Last year, I found out I was pregnant with Max. I was about totell Liam, when he dumped me.”

“How far along were you?” asked Perrie.“Like, three weeks or something, just listen.”

“Fine.” Said Perrie.

“So, I didn’t tell Liam about Max. I spentthe 7 months and two weeks pregnant without anyone by my side.” I heard Perriesigh. “Dani, babies are in your stomach for 9 months.” I rolled my eyes,“Actually, they’re not when you have an early-childbirth.”

“Sorry… continue.” Said Perrie. “Nobodynoticed I was pregnant for the last two months, because everyone was hyped upwith Haylor, so I was able to get away with it. I took a break from dancing,and stayed home.” I paused for a moment to catch my breath.

“When I went into labor, I called anambulance to take me in, since it was pre-mature.” I took a deep breath again,“I had Max Ethan Payne. I managed to keep him a secret ever since he was born.But, early today Eleanor, and Louis found out. That’s why I thought I’d tellyou to. So you wouldn’t find out from someone else, other then me. Don’t tellanyone though, okay?” I asked.

“Wow.” Said Perrie. “Just let me processthat first.”

“Just promise.” I begged. I heard her letout a deep breath, “I don’t know Dani, you should tell Liam. He’s the father.How would you feel if you were Liam, and you found out you had a son.”

“Okay, that doesn’t make sense.” I dismissedthe thought. “Danielle, tell Liam.”

“Why does everyone want me to tell him?” Iasked, “He doesn’t love me, Per. He loves Sophie more then anyone. He wouldn’teven have any love left for me or Max. Just leave Liam out of this.”

“Daniell-“

“No.” I stopped her. “If you tell anyone,I’m never talking to you again.” I heard Perrie sigh, “Dani, that’s unfair. Youcall and tell me this huge news, then forbid me to talk about it. That’s rude,I’d say.”

“I’m sorry,” I apologized, “But you’d bemore offended if I didn’t tell you, and told everyone else, right?”

“I guess,” said Perrie. “I’m sorry for lashing out. But, can I at least meet Max? Please?” I smiled in spite of myself, “I suppose. Come over whenever. It’s 6, so come over anytime from now to 7? Max goes to bed at 8, so if you came at 7, that’d give you an hour, but,you’d have to get here with traffic, you best come now for the best time-results.”

“You are such a nerd.” Said Perrie. “Yeah I am.” I said proudly. “Bye.” Said Perrie, hanging up. I didn’t bother sayingg oodbye when I hung up, because she was already gone.

Am I rushing this? And telling everyone too fast? I took a deep breath, and looked at my tired son. “Momma.” He said. Just hearing him say that gave me a boost of confidence. “I love you baby.” I whispered, “Forever and always.”