Princess of Glass

Christian

“Bay must be rich if she can afford to stay in the Authors suite. Maybe she is a trust fund kid.” I stated to Sean. He shrugged.

“Maybe she is just a hell of a good lawyer.” I rolled my eyes.

“You couldn’t afford to stay in that suite off of a lawyer salary, unless she is starving or something. Although she is small. and plus, what lawyer reads interior design magazines? My bet is that she is going to court trials because she is being charged with smuggling drugs or something.You know I heard they put heroine in breast implants now.” I said matter of factly. Sean scoffed.

“No offence Christian but did she look like she had breast implants?” I shot him a glare.

“The whole point is when they get here, they get them removed so the drug dealers can sell them. I mean, she did have a gun with no serial numbers. Did you notice if she was wearing an ankle monitoring bracelet?” Sean chuckled.

“Sorry I was too busy checking her out. Terrified and covered up, she was still hot as hell. Too bad she is so skittish. My strong manliness will scare her off.” Sean said. I rolled my eyes. Sean and me met in high school. I went off to college and started an investment firm, while Sean went to school to be a cop. He got fired and I needed a bodyguard, so this arrangement just sort of worked. “You don’t mind if I start fucking her, do you?” Sean said with a toothy grin. I shrugged.

“Why would I care, she tried to kill me.” Part of me wanted to hit him. She obviously has issues if she pulled a gun on me for trying to steal her room and she was way out of his league. A small voice in the back of my head reminded me that she was in my league but I quickly quieted it.

Next on KB93 is Bay Harper, giving us the inside scoop on Murder Meyer and her personal experience with him…

I turned up the radio and started talking to Sean again.

“Have you listened to any of this chicks recent interviews?” Sean looked at me blankly. “When they first found her all she could talk about was how it felt finding another person, getting help. Now shes slowly going back and talking about what happened and damn, I bet you twenty dollars she’ll commit suicide within the year.” Sean gave me a disapproving look.

“Suicide isn’t something to bet on Christian.” He turned the radio up.

“So Bay, how are you doing today?” The interviewer started.

“Well I’m the same as I always am. Alive.”

“So Bay, you recently said in an interview last week that you are, and I quote, an idolized monster. Care to elaborate?” There was an audible sigh before she started talking.

“Well, people admire me for whatever reason. I killed someone, with a family might I add, and people want to give me awards. People say they also idolize me because I have learned from my experience and have come out stronger, but I really havent. I suck at coping, and half of the time I feel like I’m going crazy.”

“Thats interesting Bay. Will you tell me and the listeners why you think you suck at coping? From the sounds of it you are reacting the same as anyone who had gone through what you did.”

“Well this morning a very” She Paused “Abrasive guy tried to apologize to me for being rude. I got scared and ended up pulling a gun on him. It was embarrassing and someone could have gotten hurt because of me.”

Sean looked to me with wide eyes, as realization hit us both. No wonder she is so skittish. She is terrified of me. Abrasive though? I’m not abrasive at all.

“You caught that too right?” Sean said. I nodded.

“Shit, when I practically forced myself into her room this morning she probably thought I was going to rape her or something.” I felt like facepalming. Its not like I had never seen a picture of Bay Harper before. I guess in most of them though she was wearing sunglasses and hoods because she was embarrassed of herself. Well, that and some author recently mentioned in an interview that she was blindfolded for three months. The sun probably hurts her eyes like hell.

“Well I guess I’ll have to court her before having sex with her then.” Sean said to himself. That just pissed me off. Sure, I guess I pitied Bay a bit. But Sean wanting to use a rape victim was a bit too far.

“Sean I wouldn’t go there.” I warned. My mind jumped to Bay again. I don’t know why I didn’t make the connection sooner. She was terrified, she was reading an interior design magazine, she was at one of the best secured hotels in Chicago, and her name was Bay. The way she instantly fell into that security guards arms didn’t go unnoticed. I never heard anything about a boyfriend though.

We pulled into the parking lot of a small bakery to get dinner. Every time I visited Chicago I went to Lucy’s Bakery. Mainly because Lucy’s daughter who now owned the shop made the best homemade noodles I had ever tasted. I sent in Sean to get our food, and had him include chicken alfredo. I hope Bay likes chicken alfredo, because it is officially my peace offering. The public loves Bay and if anyone found out how much she hated me, investments in Montgomery Inc. would decrease. Not to mention, I would love to hear her story from her. She is brave as hell.

When we arrived back at the hotel, we took the elevator to avoid our food getting cold. It baffled me seeing Bay taking the stairs. I usually take stairs because they give me time to think, I want to know the reason why she takes the stairs.

Why did I want to know so much about this girl?

I knocked on her door, careful to stand far enough away so that she would feel comfortable. I had to say, I was surprised when that security guard answered the door, in casual clothing. It made my blood boil, and I hated the fact that it bothered me.

“Bay, there is someone here to see you.” She poked her head out from behind him. She wasn’t elsewhere in the apartment, she was hiding. I instantly felt guilty.

“Uh hi.” I started awkwardly. “I bought you dinner, if you haven’t already had dinner. It was sorta my idea of a peace offering I guess, I didn’t want to scare you and I guess-” She cut me off.

“Lex will you give us a second?” He smiled at her and walked away, her eyes narrowed on me, and they weren’t friendly. “So you figured it out. I’m Bay Harper the girl who killed someone. Stop pitying me and go away.” I was shocked.

“I’m not pitying you I just-” She cut me off.

“Don’t lie about it, thats even worse. Look, I’m glad you understand why I went psycho on you but I really don’t need any more people crowding me. No offence.” Her voice was getting higher and higher pitched, as if her strong unafraid facade was cracking. Then, she slammed the door in my face.