Sequel: Fallen Embers

The Fire

Live to Tell

When the two love birds finally came up for air, it was lunchtime. They went into the kitchen to find everyone eating lunch that Jim had prepared. Ramona and Frankito jumped up from their places at the table to hug their daddy.

"Hi kids," Tre said as he pulled them up into his arms for hugs. Frankito looked behind his daddy to Sabrina and smiled shyly. The woman smiled back at the boy and ruffled his hair as she passed him to go speak to Jim. Sabrina turned to watch Tre walk back over to the table and place each child back in their own spot. She smiled as she watched Tre be a daddy.

"Hey Boss, I called Laura and she said to give her a call when you were around. Here is the number," Jim told Sabrina when she came up to him.

"Thanks Jim," the women said as she flipped open her phone to dial the number her house manager gave her. "Hey Laura, this is Sabrina Wright. Sabrina Wright, oh wait, sorry, you didn't know that I got married. Thanks Laura. Hey here is the deal; I have 4 bedrooms that need to be remodeled. Two are for my new step kids and the others are for like my nephews and niece. When can you come over to talk to the kids and find out what they want? Today, great you can be here at 1pm? Wonderful, I want you to find out what they want and have at it... there is no budget okay. Whatever the kids want Laura. Great, see you at 1pm, thanks again. Bye."

The kids in question were listening to Sabrina. Ramona looked at the others and then spoke up for the group. "You mean we get to decide what we want in our rooms?" she asked.

"Yup, the rooms across from your Dad's and my bedroom will be yours and Frankito's. Joey, Jake, and Stella your rooms will be the ones you're in now. I am making the suites that you all are in permanent. So whenever you and your family visit here, you will have a home away from home. You guys and girls need to think about how you want your rooms decorated. Jake and Joey, when summer comes, I'll have another room built so you boys can have your own room, but until that time you need to share."

"You don't have to build another room Sabrina, the boys can share," Adie said.

"That's okay Adie. The boys have separate rooms at home, so they should have separate ones here. Until spring thaw, they will just have to share," Sabrina said while giving the boys a wink.

Mike looked up at Sabrina, "I think that's it's great what you are doing. I know that Stella will enjoy having a room that she designed."

Sabrina smiled at the bassist. "Well, I just figure that if Matthew had lived, if someone was cool enough to let him design a room... shit... never mind," the woman frowned at what she said.

Tre looked at his wife, "Who is Matthew?"

Sabrina sighed and looked uncomfortable. "I'll tell you guys after the kids leave to go with Laura." She sat down with a plate of food and made small talk with the others until the interior designer came by. Laura took the kids to look at their rooms and get the ideas of what they wanted. They left the adults sitting at the table.

"Who is Matthew, Sabrina?" Tre asked quietly.

Sabrina looked like she wanted to be anywhere but where she was. "He was my son."

Adie looked at Sabrina as the older woman looked down at the table. "Do you want to tell us about him?" the younger woman said.

"Matthew would have been 19 years old this last September. To make a long story short, I made a very bad decision which resulted in my son being born prematurely and he only survived about 36 hours," Sabrina looked at her husband. "Tre you know those symbols that are next to the dragon tat on my thigh, well one is the Japanese symbol for son and the others are the symbols for Matthew," Sabrina took a deep breath and continued her story.

"I was pregnant in 1986 but at the time no one knew, I had gotten sick before that and lost a lot of weight, so when I gained weight from being pregnant people just thought I was starting to get better. One day, I was asked to come to the wrestling ring by the man I was with, he was a wrestler and I got caught in the ring and suplexed onto the back of a chair. I was rushed to the hospital but had to have a c-section and Matthew only survived a short time. At the time, not even the father knew I was pregnant and when he never showed up at the hospital, I never told him about Matthew. Less than a week later, he broke it off our engagment rather badly, with a note on the table telling me we were over and get my stuff out of his apartment. That was when I really, really sick. Not a good scene there. About 5 months later, when I finally allowed myself to write music again I wrote 'Live to Tell', most people think it's about a man, but really it's about losing my son."

"'Live to tell' was that a Derringer song? I don't think I have heard that song before," Billie Joe asked.

"Yes," Sabrina answered. She walked over to the acoustic guitar that was hanging on the wall in the kitchen. She picked up the instrument and softly began to play a haunting melody and began to sing.

I have a tale to tell
Sometimes it gets so hard to hide it well
I was not ready for the fall
Too blind to see the writing on the wall

A man can tell a thousand lies
I've learned my lesson well
Hope I live to tell
The secret I have lived, 'till then
It will burn inside of me

I know where beauty lives
I've seen it once, I know the warm he gives
The light that you could never see
It shines inside, you can't take that from me

A man can tell a thousand lies
I've learned my lesson well
Hope I live to tell
The secret I have lived, 'till then
It will burn inside of me

The truth is never far behind
I kept it hidden well
If I live to tell
The secret I knew then
Will I ever have the chance again

If I ran away, I'd never have the strength
To go very far
How would you hear the beating of his heart
Will it grow cold
The secret that I hide, will I grow old
How will you hear
When will you learn
How will you know

A man can tell a thousand lies
I've learned my lesson well
Hope I live to tell
The secret I have lived, 'till then

It will burn inside of me
The truth is never far behind
You kept it hidden well
If I live to tell
The secret I knew then
Will I ever have the chance again


As the guitar resonated the final chord of the song, Sabrina looked at her friends and hoped that they wouldn't judge her too harshly.