Sequel: Fallen Embers

The Fire

Special Guests

The band leader got a big smile on his face as he spoke into the microphone. "We have a few special guests here today. Let me first bring up the son of the trumpet player. He first played with us when he was just a wee lad of 12 yrs old. Now he has just grown into a cocky son of bitch of 36 years old. Please give a hand to Emmett."

The crowd cheered as the drummer moved toward the stage. He walked by Sabrina and biffed her on the back of her head as he went by her. Sabrina stood up and swatted him back. He laughed and went up to hug his dad and shake JJ's hand as he sat down behind the drum set.

"His boss is here too. Sabrina stole him from us when he was 16 and he's worked with her every since. Let's bring Sabrina Sanders-Cool up here."

Sabrina walked up to the lead singer amidst cheers from the crowd. She hugged the big man and he ruffled her hair. He handed his guitar to her and she slipped it over her shoulders. The strap was long, but she shook off his tightening it up. She stood there with the low slung guitar and announced to the crowd, "I'm gonna try to play it down here like my hero Billie." she said as she blew a kiss to Billie Joe.

"Okay you guys, what do you want to hear? Do you want my songs or covers? Rock, heavy metal, country, pop, or punk. Come on we can play it all folks." She shouted out to the crowd. Suggestions started being heard. "Wait, wait, one at a time. I'm a drunk blonde here, you have to speak slowly." she joked to the people. "AC/DC? You all want to really hear AC/DC?" she asked to the crowd who shouted yes.

She turned to the band "Who's gonna sing it?" she asked while looking at Emmett.

"I can but I can't drum it at the same time, it's too high of a song." he replied.

"SWITCH" she shouted to her drummer. Sabrina pulled off the guitar and handed it to Emmett as he handed her the drumsticks. They switched places quickly. She settled down on to the drum seat and twirled the sticks in her fingers as Emmett straightened the guitar.

The crowd roared as suddenly Sabrina jumped up and stood on the seat with her foot on the bass drum. "Go Nick, Go" she shouted as Nick strummed the first chords to 'She Shook Me All Night Long'.

The band went through the song with Emmett singing lead and playing rhythm guitar. Sabrina hammed it up playing drums. Tre was laughing at his wife, playing not unlike how he himself would play. Billie Joe and Mike were just stunned on how well Sabrina could work a crowd even from behind the drums. The song ended in a flourish of power chords and cymbals crashing.

Sabrina jumped up from behind the drums and switched places again with Emmett. She tossed the guitar on and made a big show of tuning it after Emmett had played it. She looked like a punk goddess with the low slung guitar and the outfit she was wearing. "Okay now what do you want to hear. I now, how about one of mine? Follow me boys, key of D." She grinned like a Cheshire cat to the band and started one of her rocking songs. She started to sing the first lines.

I went to a party last Saturday night
I didn't get laid, I got in a fight, Uh, huh
It ain't no big thing
Late for my job and the traffic was bad
Had to borrow ten bucks from my old man,
Uh, huh
It ain't no big thing


Sabrina stopped singing and smiled at the crowd, who responded by hooting and hollering. She turned to look at the band with a raised eyebrow and nodded toward Emmett. He did a quick count off and the band started to play.

I went to a party last Saturday night
I told you that story, I'd be alright
Uh, huh
It ain't no big thing

But I know what I like
I know I like dancin' with you
And I know what you like
I know you like dancin' with me
Yeah, yeah

Kiss me once
Kiss me twice
C'mon pretty baby, kiss me deadly

Had a few beers, gettin' high
Sittin', watchin' the time go by,
Uh, huh
It ain't no big thing
Nothin' to eat and no TV
Lookin' in the mirror don't get it for me
Uh, huh
It ain't no big thing

But I know what I like
I know I like dancin' with you
And I know what you like
I know you like dancin' with me
Oh, yeah

Kiss me once
Kiss me twice
C'mon pretty baby, kiss me deadly


Sabrina started her guitar solo with a flourish. She and Nick then had dueling parts and faced each other as they played the solo together.


You know I like dancin' with you
Dancin' with you C'mon

Kiss me once
Kiss me twice
C'mon pretty baby, kiss me
C'mon pretty baby, kiss me
C'mon pretty baby, kiss me deadly


The second guitar solo at the end of the song started and Sabrina was lost in the moment. She had her eyes closed and her fingers were going the speed of light over the frets. She had her mouth slightly open and unknowing to her, a come hither sexy look was on her face. She was lost in the music and that was fine by her.

Tre watched her play and realized how great of a musician she really was. She poured her whole body, mind and soul into what she was doing at that moment in time. His heart caught in his throat as the notes rolled from her fingers. There was also another who looked at her in the same way which Tre had no idea about.

Mike was also watching Sabrina play and feeling many of the same emotions Tre was feeling except Mike also felt guilt. He felt guilty for how he felt about his best friends wife. He felt guilty because he couldn't control what he was feeling. He felt guilty for not feeling the same way toward Brittney since Sabrina came into the picture. He closed his eyes and downed the rest of his drink while signaling for another.

With a loud crash they ended the song to the cheering of the crowd. Sabrina laughed at the band when they spoke excitedly to each other. They normally didn't play this type of music and they were too enjoying themselves. The blonde glanced over to her table and caught a look from Mike. He had his eyebrows raised and was staring at her intensely. She then looked at Billie Joe, who had a big smile on his face and when he saw her looking, gave her a wink. Tre gave her the thumbs up sign and blew her a kiss.

"Okay, two forms of music down, a few more to go. Let's do a little punk." she shouted to the band. She quickly started to sing the first verse of Basketcase, and the band just laughed. They had played this one before and knew where she was going. The Green Day boys just listened to her perform the song almost as well as they did it themselves. She finished the song with the ending chords and Billie Joe jumped up and gave her a standing ovation. The others quickly joined him with their own applause.

"Whew, well at least they didn't throw tomatoes at me." Sabrina joked, as the crowd laughed. "Now, we did rock and roll, heavy metal, and punk. So that leaves country and pop. Which do you want to heard first?" She asked as she talked to the crowd. The crowd responded by shouting they choice which was pop. Sabrina took off the guitar and placed it on its stand. "Okay boys how about a little old school Derringer? 'Dress You Up', key of C"

Tre watched in wife in awe as she quickly changed her attitude with each song. She switched between genres as easily as he changed his underwear. She owned this old Derringer song and sang it to him, he realized. She was looking at him as she sang the words and he felt the whole room disappear. She commanded his attention as she sang.

Mike watched Sabrina sing to her husband, and felt the feeling she was invoking with the words. He closed his eyes and let the words wash over him and pretended for a minute that she was singing to him. He opened his eyes and saw Brittney looking at him. He managed a smile for her and then decided that he was going to try and drink Sabrina from him mind. He caught the waitress' eye and ordered another round of drinks.

That song ended and Sabrina immediately called out the next song. "I Think about Elvis, key of D"

Jeffery played a scale on his fiddle and stopped. The band looked at Sabrina to start the song. She looked around her and smiled sheepishly. "I'm sorry I forgot where I was..." Emmett counted off 1,2,3,4 and Sabrina started the song.

I try to think about Elvis, Memphis
Oprah in the afternoon
I try to think about palm trees, Fig leaves
The creature from the black lagoon
I try to think about high heels, And good deals
Anything to get me through
I just can't concentrate
You're all I think about these days

I try to contemplate the cosmos, What goes
Round and round the sky at night
I try to think about champagne, Freight trains
Slowly rolling out of sight
I try to focus on the headlines, Street crimes
Every time I think I might
I just can't concentrate
You're all I think about these days

My mind wanders where it will
When it settles right on you
I forget what I should say
I forget what I should do


The band stopped playing and looked at Sabrina again. She started to breath heavily in the mic and moaned the next line.

come on Sabrina get it together

She stopped and looked at the band. They all were smiling, and she turned to the crowd with a smile of her own. She owned the crowd by this point and they waited for her to continue. She nodded at Emmett who did another count off and the song picked up again.


I try to think about Shakespeare, Leap year
Green Day or The Network
I try to think about hair-do's, Tattoos
Sushi bars and saxophones
I try to think about the talk shows
New clothes
But I guess I should have known
I just can't concentrate
You're all I think about these days
You're all I think about these days


In a typical country twang the song ended to the cheers of the crowd. Sabrina chuckled to herself. She knew that she had won the crowd over. Even though she had not been on stage for herself in forever and a day, she proved to herself that she still had it. This is what music meant to her, this was what she wanted to do, and at that moment in time she stopped regretting ever leaving Derringer. She knew she was more than that band, and she proved it.

Sabrina took a bow "Let's hear it for The Sam Pallet Band and my drummer Emmett." Mike the lead singer came up and ruffled her hair again, and pretended to kick her off the stage. The crowd laughed at the antics and as Sabrina walked back to her seat the band announced that they were talking a short break and would be back in a little bit to play until the ball dropped. With that the band filed out of the ballroom and back to their hotel rooms.