Sequel: Fallen Embers

The Fire

Breathe

The ballroom was rocking when they returned. A tv had been set up and was tuned to Dick Clark Rockin Eve. The countdown clock on the show said 12:55pm. Little Champagne bottles and glasses had been placed on each table for couple to toast the new year. The guys grabbed the bottles and set about to filling glasses. The friends stood in a circle to wait for the New Year to begin.

"What should we toast to?" Billie asked.

"How about to making new music. We all should toast to that." Sabrina replied.

"To new families and friends and lasting relationships" Tre shouted.

"To marriages." Britt giggled while looking at Mike.

"To newlyweds." Mike retorted looking at Tre and Sabrina.

"To a new sister in the Green Day family." Adie stated while hugging Sabrina.

The clock hit 20 seconds to go and the crowd started to count backwards. Tre pulled his wife closer to him and kissed her forehead as the countdown reached the final stages.

"10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!" the band's leader shouted. Nick the guitar player started the notes for 'Old Aung Syne'. Balloons filled the air and noisemakers made noise. Hats and confetti were tossed in the air. No one noticed the celebrities hugging and wishing each other a Happy New Year. The couples kissed each other and promised each other a Happy New Year. Then Sabrina hugged and kissed Britt while Tre kissed Mike on the lips. Adie then grabbed Mike in for a hug and kiss. Billie grabbed Britt and swung her around while Tre then squeezed Adie. Mike leaned in and kissed Sabrina on the lips and hugged her. He closed his eyes and breathed in her perfume again. Finally Billie, Mike and Tre embraced while Sabrina, Britt, and Adie hugged and kissed.

The band started to play Mustang Sally and the party continued until 1:30am. After the band played their final song, the Green Day trio with their women left the ballroom draped over each other in an effort to stay upright until they reached Tre and Sabrina's room start the after party. They got to room 202 and some how Sabrina keyed the door open and they all piled in. Tre and Billie flopped onto the bed while Adie, Mike, and Britt landed on the couch. Sabrina sank into a chair and flipped her high heels off.

"Hmmm the cooler is way over there and we are way over here." Billie laughed after making a feeble attempt to get off the bed. Sabrina stood up and announced that she would be booze wench. She walked over to the cooler and did the Playboy Bunny dip to grab everyone's drinks. She pulled out a bottle of wine for Billie, Adie and Britt. Mike called dibs on the JD, and Tre shouted for the tequila. Sabrina walked around with the drink orders. She poured glasses for Adie and Britt on the couch and then handed Billie the bottle. She tossed the JD bottle to Mike and hand delivered the Silver tequila to Tre. She went back to the cooler to pull out two bottles of orange zima, slammed the lid shut and sunk back into her chair.

"I have a drinking problem." she suddenly dead panned to the room. "I have two hands and only one mouth."

Everyone cracked up at Sabrina's announcement. They sat and drank and talked about the future for a while. Suddenly Tre could take no more of the seriousness. He started jumping on the bed and cried "Let's play spin the bottle French Kiss version." He grabbed the wine bottle that Billie had just emptied and placed it on the floor between everyone and spun it around.

They watched the bottle spin crazily and then start to slow down until finally coming to rest and pointing at Adie. Tre scrambled over and grabbed her face with both hands and planted a kiss on her puckered lips. When she laughed he stuck his tongue in her mouth. She pretended to spit out Tre germs as she leaned over to spin the bottle around. Conveniently it stopped at Billie, so she gave her husband a sloppy french kiss. He twirled the bottle and it landed pointing at Mike. Billie leaned in gave Mike a solid kiss. They spilt apart amongst the hooting and hollering of their friends.

Mike smiled as he moved the bottle around in place. It spun and centered on Sabrina. Mike stood up and walked over to her. He grabbed her hand and pulled her to her feet. He placed his fingers under her chin to tip up her face and leaned in to kiss her. He crushed his lips on hers and when she gave a little moan, that only he heard, he dipped his tongue in her mouth. After giving her a solid 10 second kiss he moved away from her and sat back down smiling.

Sabrina pretended to fan herself when in actuality she really did have to catch her breath. She leaned over to give the bottle a spin and it landed on Britt. Sabrina got up and stood in front of young blonde.

"Now pretend you're a different Britney. Cause you're in Hollywood." she sang to the younger blonde. Britt smiled and stood up and they re-enacted the famous kiss from the VMAs.

Just as they were getting to sit back down a knock came at the door. Tre got up and walked over to see who it was. He came back into the room with a smirk "Any one want to go mow the lawn?" Billie scrambled up and quickly followed Tre out the door to go smoke again. Britt went to get up and tripped over Mike's feet and landed in a heap on the floor laughing. Adie reached over and started to help her up when Britt immediately turned green. Adie laughed as she helped the younger woman up and took her to her own room to get sick leaving Sabrina and Mike along again.

The pair looked at each other from opposite sides of the room as it was emptied. He patted the couch next to him and smiled at his best friends' wife. She smiled back and rose gracefully and moved across the room to stand in front of him.

"Give me a good reason why I should sit next to you." She asked him.

"Because I'm such a good kisser." He replied with a smile and one of his famous winks.

She laughed as she lower herself to sit next to him. He quickly grabbed her and pulled her close to him with her back against the front of him as he lounged on the couch. He wrapped an arm around her and with his other arm he reached down to the floor beside the couch and brought back what he was searching for. Using the newly found remote he clicked on the TV and started to surf for something interesting.

I fell asleep while watching Spike TV Sabrina sang out loud to no one in particular. Mike chuckled at the drunk blonde singing his song as he flipped through the channels. The laughter rumbled deep in his chest and Sabrina could feel it through his clothes and the thump of his heart beat.

"You know you never saved a dance for me Michael. I'm hurt. I wanted to know if you could dance as well as you played."

Mike chuckled again and smiled as he found a music channel that actually was playing music. County Music Televison was playing a block of Faith Hill and her video 'Breathe' was just starting. Mike leaned Sabrina forward so he could stand up. He walked over to where she had kicked off her heels and brought them back to where she was sitting. "I'll dance with you only if you wear your high heels." he said with an innocent smile on his face.

"Only for you Michael will I wear those torture devices."

Mike watched as she slipped one of the high heels on to a slender foot. She was bent over slightly and he had a nice view of her cleavage. She reached over and slipped on the other heel and stood up to smooth her dress down her body with a slow motion. He groaned at the sight of her hands running down her body. He licked his lips and held out his hands to her.

With one step she walked into his open arms and wrapped her hands over his shoulders. In her heels she stood almost as tall as he was. He placed his hands around her tightly cinched in waist and was amazed that his long fingers felt like they reached all the way around her. Slowly he led her around the room in a slow step in time with the song. Sabrina closed her eyes and settled into Mike's strong arms as he led her in their dance. Without realizing it Sabrina had started to sing along with the song.

'Cause I can feel you breathe
It's washing over me
Suddenly I'm melting into you
There's nothing left to prove
Baby all we need is just to be
Caught up in the touch
The slow and steady rush
Baby, isn't that the way that love's supposed to be
I can feel you breathe
Just breathe.


Mike watched her sing along and found himself getting lost in her vocals. Her eyes were closed and her head was gently swaying to the words as she sang. She was beautiful and Mike has having trouble remembering where he was as he watched. He didn't even realized that she had spoke until she shook his head bringing him out of the daze he was in.

"Wha-what?"

"I said, Faith and Tim are so much in love. Did you noticed that when you all met them at the Grammys?" she repeated.

"Oh yea, there are a sweet couple. They sing some wonderful duets together. Their love shines through in song. That is something wonderful that they share."

She smiled and placed her head on his shoulder as they continued to move. She started to sing again and he could feel her warm breath on his neck. Goose bumps spread across his neck where her breath licked at his skin. He groaned and tried to stay in control of his body, which was beginning to show the start of his desire.

Caught up in the touch
The slow and steady rushBaby, isn't that the way that love's supposed to be
I can feel you breathe
Just breathe

I can feel the magic floating in the air
Being with you gets me that way


The song ended and he dropped her into a dip. Her eyes were closed as her head was flung back with her long neck exposed. He couldn't resist any longer as he gently laid a kiss at the base of her throat. When she still keep her eyes closed, he began to leave a trail of kisses up the side of her neck and ended at her ear, where he gently sucked on her earlobe. She moaned as she felt the pull of his mouth on her ear. She opened her eyes when he let her earlobe go. He straightened themselves up to a normal standing position.

"Oh my god, Michael. Damn Brittney is one lucky girl." Sabrina said when she finally found her voice.

Mike frowned at the mention of his girlfriends' name. He looked back to Sabrina who had moved away from him and went to grab another drink from the cooler. She smiled at him when she turned back around to face him. "Thanks for the wonderful dance Michael."

He turned from her to find the bottle of Jack he had been nursing. He found it next to the couch and lowered himself down to sit as he grabbed the bottle. He brought the long neck to his lips and let the amber liquid flow into his mouth. He swallowed and felt the whiskey burn down his throat and into his stomach. He closed his eyes at the burn and tried to will away his thoughts of Sabrina.