Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

Eighty Eighth Floor

I couldn't believe what I was doing right now. I sat in my barracks, staring at the wall as I picked at the sleeve of my sweater. I had my coat and shoes on, keys in my hand. Ever since the game three weeks ago, Patrick and I have been talking more and I've been going to morning practices with Ky, hell, even without her. Now Patrick wants me to come over for a surprise. I didn't dare tell Ky because she would lose her mind at the thought of me going to Patrick's apartment. Yet here I was, ready to leave. I finally got myself to move and got into my car, driving into Chicago. I pulled up to the huge, luxury apartment building and got buzzed into the garage. I followed the directions he gave me and went up to the 88th floor. I laughed to myself at the number and went to the apartment and knocked on the door. Patrick swung open the door with a huge smile.

“Eighty eighth floor? Really?” I asked, raising an eyebrow at him. He laughed and stepped aside, letting me in and shutting the door.

“It just so happened to be on this floor, I don't know what you're talking about.” He joked, walking over to me with his hands dug into his pockets like a shy little boy. I carefully set my bag down and let my eyes wander around.

“This place is huge....” I said, going over to the large windows and looking out on the city below. I was in awe. This was a palace compared to my small barracks.

“Uh....haha....yeah.” he said, seeming a little bit embarrassed by it. I looked back at him and smiled softly before stepping away from the windows.

“So, what's this amazing surprise?” I asked, rubbing my arms in the sleeves of my sweater, still getting the slight fall chill out of my bones.

“Well....I kind of thought we would just have a catch up night. We can watch movies that you've missed, sporting events, eat pizza, that type of stuff.” he said, his shoulders hunched forward slightly. I couldn't stop my smile, he was being so precious.

“That sounds great, Patrick.” I said. He returned my smile and seemed to relax a little before turning and going to the kitchen and tossing a soda at me.

“I kind of figured we should keep the booze for another time.” he said, grabbing himself a coke and cracking it open and smiling at me.

“Good plan....hey, is this the Stanley Cup?” I asked, noticing a DVD in red, black, and white. It was the 2010 Stanley Cup game, the one the Blackhawks had won. Three years ago.

“Yeah uhh.....don't know what that's doing out.” he said, taking it and looking for a place to hide it.

“Can we watch it? I was deployed for that....” I asked, leaning against the counter. I had been deployed on June 3rd, 2010. I returned multiple times for leave but I only just finished my tour this month. Three years and five months in Afghanistan. I was so happy to be home.

Patrick smiled a little and nodded, putting the DVD in the player and then taking my hand, pulling me along with him while we made pizza and popcorn, then bringing it over to the living room before we started watching the entire series. Patrick laughed at me constantly as I reacted to shots and goals, having not watched the series at all. I felt so normal and comfortable, I realize how at ease I was around him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay, I've been a little busy :)

Katie