Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

... You Did?

“Look who decided to show up,” Jonny smirked as I hurried through the restaurant.

“I’m sorry!” I apologized as I got close enough.

“I didn’t expect anything less,” he chuckled as I bent down to kiss his cheek before I slid in next to him at the booth. On the other side of us were Patrick Sharp and his wife, Abby. Every once in a while we do this double date thing. I quite enjoyed it… even if Sharpie gets a little ornery towards Jonathan sometimes.

“An hour though? Really?” Patrick poked.

“It’s only been fifteen minutes,” I corrected him, “Things ran over at the office. I’m sorry. I should have called,” I went on to explain.

“It’s ok,” Jon sent me a small smile while his hand came down to rest on my knee. Throughout the night he’d occasionally give it a squeeze. Each time this made my own smile shine through and reach over to give his lips a quick peck. As we parted, a few aws could be heard from across the table.

“So, that wedding…” Abby brought up.

“On hold,” I answered before Jon could.

“What?” both her and Sharpie countered with.

“It’s not on hold…” Jonny gave me a look.

“It is,” I knew better than to say anything different. “So… where’s the kiddos tonight?” I changed subjects.

“Babysitter,” Abby answered.

“When are you two going to have some?” Sharpie glanced at Jonathan. Once those words past through his lips Jonny’s cheeks tinted pink. It actually almost made me giggle.

“Wedding first,” I answered for him.

“Oh, come on. You guys have been engaged for forever. Maybe if he knocked you up that would speed the process along,” his teammate poked more.

“Patrick!” his wife shot at him.

“It’s good logic…” he smirked between Jonny and I.

I wasn’t bothered by any of his commentary. It’s typical; especially if Jonny’s around. He acted differently throughout dinner though. He would engage in the conversation, but it wasn’t what’s normal for him. Obviously I wasn’t about to ask him about it here. Maybe he just had a rough day at practice.

Once we got home and he got changed into some shorts, he curled up on the couch. He brought his iPad into his lap and tapped around on it for a few moments. While he was doing that, I went over and sat next to him. I rested my head on his shoulder. It didn’t disrupt his email checking.

“What’s wrong?” I asked softly and let my arms wrap around his middle.

“Nothing,” he shrugged it off.

“Nothing that was brought up at dinner bothered you?” I asked him, letting my thumb run along his bare side.

He pressed is lips tightly together and shook his head… and I knew better. That’s not a normal reaction from him. Before I could question him, he changed subjects.

“I saw your sister today.”

“… You did?” I was surprised by that sentence.

“Yeah, she was at the United Center,” he said without breaking his gaze from the tablet.

“Did you… talk to her?” I tried to get more out of him. I haven’t seen or heard from her in a month, Jonny! Give me something!

“No, but Patrick did.”

“And?” I sat up now.

“He didn’t say anything,” he went on to shrug.

I groaned and put my head back on his shoulder. I’ve accepted giving her the space that she needed right now. But it sounded like she surfaced again… and hasn’t contacted me. I knew better than to bug her now. I’ll let her get a hold of me if she wants to talk. I’m not about to push her to the point that I did before. I can’t lose my sister.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment??